Welcome to Gaia! ::

Deadly Poster

5,950 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I've always subscribed to the "Don't be a d**k." philosophy myself,

but that's the same no matter where you are. (of course, working customer service means I'm privy to the random emotions of the unclassed dicks and B-faced women in the world. /epic sigh)

Enabler

9,250 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
Ghost Tamer
Jittany Leggs
wat unspokin rulz?????????///? wat is

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS STRIKES AGAIN:

Don't post in highlighter colors, yo!

That unspoken rule? cat_4laugh

wink

Rare

Ghost Tamer
I have a personal etiqeutte standards that I hold absolutely no one else to aside from myself:

If you're a forum regular or pretty darn popular, I most likely will not contact you first. Aside from being shy, I'm generally concerned that those said popular people will think I'm sucking up to them or I'll be one of the many annoying people that comments them just to say hi.

If you do not comment me back or suddenly drop a conversation in the middle ( not one that was pettering out anyway ), I will automatically assume this is because you don't want to talk to me. And it may be the case that people just get busy, but I don't want to send another message and potentially annoy the s**t out of you.

Even if I talk to you on a regular basis, if you draw art, I will NEVER ask you for art even if I REALLY like it. I know art is a popular thing on Gaia, and I always feel like if anyone I know wants to draw for me, they will.

I'm the same way with all of those things. The second one sometimes causes problems when either me or the person I'm talking to forgets to reply or isn't notified of a reply, but I don't want to be annoying in case they actually wanted to stop talking to me.

Interesting Member

6,900 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
So I just joined a month ago and within the first few days I have learned to avoid somethings about the forum. If there is even the slightest detection of you complaining, small as it is, you'll only get hate and sarcastic replays of sympathy. Also anything to do with life events or decisions will get you hate as well as the people to one up you. I wont be making those mistakes again.

Rainbow Noob

I've heard some people say that when someone tips your post, you shouldn't tip their response to that post, because that's like "giving the tip back." But if it's a really good post or I'm ending a conversation, I do it anyway, 'cause ******** I'm not really giving anything back, I just wanna tip your pooost. TT____TT

I always feel tacky when someone compliments my avatar and I'm like "YOU TOO", but honestly, the places I post have the some of the snazziest avatars, and I really do mean it. I'm too shy to actually comment on anyone's first, so... I never get to tell them unless they like mine. And then a lot of times I don't tell them 'cause I don't wanna sound like a weenie. :c

Nerd

We have unspoken rules? gonk
Why wasn't I sent a memo,note,pm,post it!?Great now I'm going to be worried I've been doing things not in taste.
[edit;;]So the second half of my post didn't..well post.I do think we have a few unspoken rules in GCD.No name dropping,no chatspeak,definitely no all caps posts,and keeping the post styles simple seem to the main ones.I think they're helpful to keep the forum going at a nice steady rhythm and we don't see as much drama here as you would in a few other forums.

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Wistful Fairy

42,740 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
-What unspoken rules do you hear about, or try to follow in the GCD or other forums?

The GCD is so so self-involved at times that it often, and quite obnoxiously so, causes its more prominent members to ignore what was written by others, to reitinerate/push points that are not relevant (despite believing so), and to accuse the innocent party of "starting fights" or whatever cat_rolleyes

Honestly, the unspoken rule here is to (a) not really care (because, let's face it, they didn't when they did that) and (2) to accept that Gaians impose the tone/voice/feelings they want to find in the text they read (aka meaning someone's typed words are only angry, defensive, happy, mellow, etc, because you read that tone/voice/feelings into them, not because they ever existed there to begin with) cat_confused

(why would you follow them?)

...Because nobody gives enough F' to really make themselves a better human beingGaian, so you might as well not let the idiocy of others get ja down cat_wink

-What do you think about community formed etiquette?

...Dunno. But I will say that respect comes in many forms and, to be honest, I'm not going to sacrifice who I am just to make others feel better 'bout themselves User Image

-What else do you have to say about it?

I heart these Cat emotes cat_whee
If you don't, your loss cat_3nodding
If it irritates you or makes you incapable of being mature enough to have a real conversation with others, again, your loss cat_rofl
Will I ever care that they bother you, no, no I won't User Image

Distinct Vampire

Not be an a*****e

Oh wait..

Stellar Succubus

"DON'T QUOTE THE STICKIES AT ME!"

I recall that one from a while back seemed to be one that people liked.

It wasn't a huge thing I don't think, though.

But it is, I guess, impolite to suggest someone here doesn't know the rules.

Oneirose Ashwalker's Significant Otter

Smitten Kitten

18,475 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Magical Girl 50
Kuhle
Ghost Tamer
I have a personal etiqeutte standards that I hold absolutely no one else to aside from myself:

If you're a forum regular or pretty darn popular, I most likely will not contact you first. Aside from being shy, I'm generally concerned that those said popular people will think I'm sucking up to them or I'll be one of the many annoying people that comments them just to say hi.

If you do not comment me back or suddenly drop a conversation in the middle ( not one that was pettering out anyway ), I will automatically assume this is because you don't want to talk to me. And it may be the case that people just get busy, but I don't want to send another message and potentially annoy the s**t out of you.

Even if I talk to you on a regular basis, if you draw art, I will NEVER ask you for art even if I REALLY like it. I know art is a popular thing on Gaia, and I always feel like if anyone I know wants to draw for me, they will.

I'm the same way with all of those things. The second one sometimes causes problems when either me or the person I'm talking to forgets to reply or isn't notified of a reply, but I don't want to be annoying in case they actually wanted to stop talking to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. That and sometimes I feel like I muddle my personality by trying to follow the rules too well.

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
I just remembered a big no-no that I committed.

Double posting.

It's so easy to just edit your previous post with the information you were going to previously say.

Sexy Exhibitionist

13,125 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Gender Swap 100
Proper grammar, spelling, and complete sentence formation is what the GCD requires lol.

Granted it's not written down, or hell even spoken about. But you look at all the posts and their neat little paragraphs, you can just see that literacy and knowing the rules of how to form a paragraph are important to these people. Thats what i first thought when i moved into the GCD.

~Eva

Elfin Guildsman

there needs to be more etiquette.

Desirable Streaker

14,600 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • 50 Wins 150
I don't think there's an real etiquette on the net in general. Don't do anything that would break any social contract of society and you'll be fine.

Personally I avoid the age thing completely. Part of me wants to not know how old you are so I can assume you're a 13 year old when you beg for gold.

I think the only unwritten rule I follow is I don't return missprices. And a lot of people on their vend page now say this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff