Welcome to Gaia! ::

Zakku Sann's Husband

Shirtless Regular

12,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
On gaia, if you have been on a while, do you notice a difference in how people respond in forums or play with you in towns? If so what changes have you seen since you started playing?

Giddy Expert

Yes I do

Side-Note: Please cut down on posting so many topics? Because when I look at the names of the people who post threads... Your name pretty much takes up a lot of space there... So if you could cut down on it and post in other peoples threads to contribute to their discussions instead of constantly making up your own?

Just saying

Stellar Succubus

I'm a bit serious in the forums. Message me or talk to me in towns and I'm a stupid kitten.

I think in general I notice this sort of need for people to sound smart by using large words etc. That reminds me of the U and non-U English. The rich upper class use average language and the mid/lower class tend towards more posh sounding language seeking to appear more upper class. The upper class don't need to bother with pretense because they already have status and don't need to impress to gain it. Here on gaia, there's a lotta people out to impress with their good language skills.

Ain't sayin' everyone does it, but there are quite a few folks left who seem to care about that sorta thing.

To bring this in line with the topic, I notice there's a lot less in this forum who act like a wiggly red line personified than there was when I first came here.

That could be my ignoring it though. Not sure if it's changed much.

Celestial Spirit

VVhip
I'm a bit serious in the forums. Message me or talk to me in towns and I'm a stupid kitten.

I think in general I notice this sort of need for people to sound smart by using large words etc. That reminds me of the U and non-U English. The rich upper class use average language and the mid/lower class tend towards more posh sounding language seeking to appear more upper class. The upper class don't need to bother with pretense because they already have status and don't need to impress to gain it. Here on gaia, there's a lotta people out to impress with their good language skills.

Ain't sayin' everyone does it, but there are quite a few folks left who seem to care about that sorta thing.

To bring this in line with the topic, I notice there's a lot less in this forum who act like a wiggly red line personified than there was when I first came here.

That could be my ignoring it though. Not sure if it's changed much.

Interesting. The problem is, who decides the cut-off point for what is "average" and what isn't? I should think that would vary quite a bit depending on one's personal experience.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
I do notice that. I actually notice some people even act more serious in some forums and goofier in others. Sometimes, it gets to the point where I honestly don't realize they're the same person 'til I view their profiles. XD As for me, I'm serious in pretty much all the forums and goofy in Flash spaces.
User Image

Invisible Shapeshifter

I'm quite terse in forums, for the most part, but I do have a warm personality behind all the rigidity. I'm terribly shy and not one to engage people randomly in silly conversation, so I tend to stay reserved. I used to be much more carefree, but I've lost my levity, if you will.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
This sounds like sociology!

I think different forums bring in different folks, so each forum has it's own flavor of social interaction.

Questionable Mage

Sianserais
VVhip

Interesting. The problem is, who decides the cut-off point for what is "average" and what isn't? I should think that would vary quite a bit depending on one's personal experience.

Generally, the most powerful social group sets the standard for language. What they speak is considered average.

I'm not sure how that would translate to Gaia, though.

Toothsome Lunatic

11,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
It's not really a matter of time, it's more a meld between aesthetics and mode of engagement. That's what tends to influence how people respond to me, at least.

As for my own engagement, I like to consider myself fairly consistent across the board. Mostly because I just cannot be ******** putting on airs for anygoddamnbody, but at the same time I'm honest and (I most modestly assert) pretty damn personable. I don't tend to change that up depending on who I'm talking to.

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Well, I played zOMG! a bunch when it came out and then just kind of stopped. When I went to think about going back to it a year or so ago, I found that it had a whole different feel. People were using whole new abbreviations and it seemed like strategy and group courtesies had changed significantly. I ended up feeling kind of out of place because I no longer really understood the social dynamics.

As for forums. Not as much. But maybe that's because I hang around the forums more consistently. They go through trends, but I feel like the atmosphere generally stays the same. Of course I have a terrible time reading people so I could be completely oblivious because of that.

Magic Hobo

Every encounter I have is unique to begin with, so I dunno if I've seen anything like an overall trend in how other people act.

It's kind of pot luck how you'll find me for interacting. I'm a goddamned wizard and I do what I want. I am also a liar and a hypocrite. Good luck.

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
In Fourms I post one thing.
In chat I'm am basically verbally vomiting, much like I do in real life. Basically more worthless then my forum stuff.

People are more brief chatting as well, taking advantage of the easier chat system and more rapid small sentences or statements. While in forums the words are a bit more thought out and the pace is slower.
Both are fun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces