Other [Tell me about it in the thread!] 0.22340425531915 22.3% [ 42 ]
Total Votes:[ 188 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Trash Garbage

9,175 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Popular Thread 100
For those of you who don't know me, I'm Ladyship. I've been a user on Gaia Online for close to a decade. I host gifting events and holiday threads. Recently, I've become involved in the SF forum. I love Gaia - the community, the friends I've made, the real-life events I've attended and the bounty of gorgeous items, fun games, and amazing events and story that make Gaia a beautiful, fun place to be when i come home from work. I can share my art, talk to people all over the world, and dress up as I see fit. When I first signed up, I was only 13 - I had only a few friends, was attending a new school, and desperately wanted someone to talk to. Now, I'm almost 22. I still look to Gaia's amazing community of diverse people to enjoy holidays with, share my day with, or just goof around. Gaia is a fun, imaginative place where I have a voice about the things that are important to me.

About while ago, things started to change. I noticed I could afford less and less of the beautiful items the gaia Artists had been churning out. I had to save longer, play more games, grind for more gold. Eventually, I stopped signing in. All that kept me coming back were holiday events. I save up all year for the Christmas event to give away billions in prizes to people who otherwise could never afford such items. Last year, I was coming up short. I only had a few million - how on earth would I be able to afford the giveaways? I decided to actually buy some GCash and buy something that looked like it might do well. I got extremely lucky and purchased a Winter's Rose. Within 10 days I was sitting on 1b. Then, 6b. Then, I kept playing the market, and I'm sitting on my pile like a frilly pink dragon. However, I only bought GC the one time - and I still am disgusted I gave my money to the people I see before me in the forums. I've given money, food, and clothing to the homeless. Even if they're just going to use my $10 for alcohol, cigarettes, or meth, I still give it to them. I never feel shame for that. But I feel shame for giving my $10 to Gaia last Christmas.

The Gaia Artists mean so much to me. They're so talented, and they work extremely hard for a company that doesn't seem to really appreciate their talent and knowledge of the community. I also understand the importance of running a business - you need servers, a building, electricity, water, employees, copyrights, maintenance, engineers, programmers - extremely vital organs to the machine of the business. Money is essential - you can't live off dollar noodles forever, no matter how much you love your fanbase. GCash is understandable, and people clearly pay for it, love the GC items, and it serves it's purpose. We've seen a skyrocket in the quality of our item base in the last two years. Arm and leg poses? I remember kneeling and buying stuff to hold just so I looked a little different. We have so many ways to customize.

Unfortunately, alongside the amazing art that has come out of the last few years, we've also seen some of our favorite people go away, to other things - namely, Lanzer, and the original staff. We see dozens of Cash Shop ads every day. We see incredulous inflation, and less involvement from staff members.

The last point seems to have culminated at a peak, and here is where I reach my main point.
Can I trust the Gaia Staff?

Last night I was browsing SF, among other forums, and stumbled upon this. I was confused, and I dug deeper, reading each page, each link.

A user sold a Rainbow ticket for 133T to a staff-member's Mule.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/glitch-in-the-gold-generators/t.94000135/

A user found out the Mule was a staff-member's account.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/133tgate-staff-interfering-with-the-mp-inflation-tickets/t.94022785_1/

Zero Omega offered hush money to the vendor, and Gaia reversed the transaction, seemingly violating their own TOS.
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/site-feedback/in-response-to-reversing-my-133t-for-my-double-rainbow-t/t.94029013_1/

After lying about the transaction, the mule, and the details, now the staff have remained silent. No apology, nothing.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened and reach the public eye. However, this time, they lied to the community, and offered what was essentially a bribe to the vendor. This makes me wonder how many other staff mules are out there, toying with the numbers in the market, being fishy?
Are the staff generating inflation to generate sales for gold generators?

'Yes' seems to be the answer. There has been long-standing neglect to many facets of the site - the manga, games, gold shops, help tickets. The only items that seem to get staff's attention are the ones that generate profits for the site. You can find a list of any of the problems by just looking at the front page of SF - the inflation, the GC announcements, events, kickstarters, poorly-coordinated site management. At what point does Gaia begin charging a monthly usage fee? At what point must you purchase your username? Companies can make money without leeching their community - look at IMVU and it's dynamic, user-run marketplace, 3D chat service, and many perks that are desirable, but livable without.

So why, Gaia, have you decided to neglect this community of young people, who look to your forums, games, and events for enjoyment, into simple statistics? Where are the admins when we need answers, or problems fixed? Why can't we chat with admins casually?

Possibly one of the last straws for me was this summer. I went to SacAnime - as I am prone to do - and I was excited to see the Gaia Panel was still scheduled. I hadn't been to one since Heroes of Chaos and Rumble Kitten were in production. And then, I had so much fun with the hundred people who shared my experiences and passions. When i arrived at the event room, DJ Hellsing was late, and alone. The room was empty, with only chairs and a table. No projectors, no other staff, no working mic. DJ Hellsing pulled one of the chairs out front of the audience area and sat down, and the dozen people with me sat around the front area. He pulled out his phone, and while texting, apologized - he was no longer employed at Gaia Online, and this would be a fan panel. He had no insight into the company's workings. There would be a halloween event and an inventory overhaul. His handouts were dated 2013, for free 1000 gold and a bumper sticker. While he sat there, texting, he asked us to exchange our favorite parts of Gaia. I was shocked at his disenchantment, and that Gaia no longer made public convention appearances. Where would I learn about the new games, items, and events? How would i get my convention badge and bag for my avatar? (I did get them - they're dated 2013). Quickly, the discussion in the room turned to inflation, and DJ Hellsing left early. I have to say, it hit me hard how detached Gaia is from it's userbase.

I log in every morning before work to collect my daily chance, and list a few items on the marketplace.
I come home, make dinner, and check my listings.
I only log in for more than 15 minutes if there's an event.
Sometimes I look at SF or GD.
I click through every announcement to get rid of the notification.
There is a rythm to the site for me now, and it isn't a pleasant one.

I miss you, Gaia.

What keeps you logging in to Gaia? What do you enjoy still?

Edit 1: Moved to the GCD! This really belongs here, I think. Also, it's amazing how quickly people wanted to share their stories. It's heartbreaking but refreshing to hear that I'm not the only one who isn't exactly happy.

Gambino Lover

Truth is that I don't know.

I got accustomed maybe? I had lots of friends but almost all of them left the site, and the MP its getting difficult - more than before.

I believe its the force of habit.

Wind-up Waffles

My sister and a couple of my friends still log in. We roleplay... since it's a thread/guild we visit in common, it's convenient and organized, and has an archive of our good times and past work. If not for that I'd be gone. I have no love for Gaia itself anymore.

I'm done with items, which I admit is something I loved. As soon as I figure out what to do with them I'll stick to one avatar.

Shady Bro

39,375 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
A deadly mix of habit, lack of time-consuming things to do, and masochism keep me logging in daily and wasting hours here.

Dapper Lunatic

Out of the sites that I used to routinely visit since I was a teenager, the only one I have left is Gaiaonline. I've been here since the beginning, pretty much, heck I remember when the very first donation items were given out as a surprise to the people who had donated without even knowing they'd receive anything in return. Funny thought huh?

When monthly donation items became a thing, each month I'd ask my parents for $5 so I could donate to the site. They'd roll their eyes at me for "spending money on pixel clothes." My response was I was giving money to a website I wanted to support, because it was a place a felt I belonged.

And that's why I'm still here. I've tried other sites with avatars, like Subeta, and others I don't even remember the name of now. But I haven't felt like I belonged on any of them. Even when Gaia started becoming more and more about money, I couldn't leave. It was somewhere I could log into every day and find familiar faces, or just familiar places. It's been a part of my life for years.

I keep wanting to leave, to just turn my back on the place, but I can't. Because even if the current management is shite, I can't forget what Gaia was to me, and frankly I don't have anywhere else to go. I suppose I'll be here until it shuts down for good.

It's heartbreaking to watch it grow corrupt and rot away from the inside like this. I made so many friends here and had so many good times here.

Gambino Lover

amenamy
A deadly mix of habit, lack of time-consuming things to do, and masochism keep me logging in daily and wasting hours here.

hah! i'd do a high five if i were not who knows where on the computer

tuni fish's Pardner

Questionable Investigator

I log in mostly for the forums now. I still enjoy creating avatars with the items I own as well. Those were the original things that drew me to this site almost 11 years ago, and the things that still function relatively well, all things considering.

But Gaia in general has lost appeal to me. Events are boring and uninspired, simple 'Kickstarters' designed to deflate a bloated economy they continue to feed.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
After reading your experience at SacAnime, I'm just stunned. If they have DJ Helsing, even just on contract, to represent Gaia at panels, it's sad that they don't have any other staff members there to help him hold panels or talk about things that he doesn't know about since he doesn't work in office anymore. I don't know if it was like that at Comic Con or Fanime, but it's sad they treated DJ Helsing and Gaians like that at SacAnime.

Gracious Lunatic

8,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
Why do I still log in? I really don't know. Too much free time on my hands maybe and nothing better to do? That must be it. All my friends have long since left the site and nearly everything costs real money now...I guess I just come to read the forums and dress and redress my avatar.

Trash Garbage

9,175 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Popular Thread 100
Teabo Milk Tea
After reading your experience at SacAnime, I'm just stunned. If they have DJ Helsing, even just on contract, to represent Gaia at panels, it's sad that they don't have any other staff members there to help him hold panels or talk about things that he doesn't know about since he doesn't work in office anymore. I don't know if it was like that at Comic Con or Fanime, but it's sad they treated DJ Helsing and Gaians like that at SacAnime.

It was pretty unfortunate, and kind of depressing.

Seeing all of the responses already really is heartbreaking. Just...not much really keeps any of us here, it seems, other than habit and friends. It definitely isn't the website itself, that's for sure.

Zetshimaru2's Waifu

Friendly Friend

16,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I've just been here so long I don't know. According to the chart at the bottom of "My Gaia", My account is 10 years old next month. I just turned 20, so I've been on here since I was 10 years old. I had a hard time making friends as a kid, and gaia let me write and express myself without judgement. Now a days I has pretty much abandoned the BT OOC due to health issues that make me unable to write. I spend more time in the Artists forums and have made some great friends there. But I'm honestly not sure why I stay. Nostalgia I guess, I remember how it was and how much I loved it.

Gambino Lover

Ladyship
Teabo Milk Tea

It was pretty unfortunate, and kind of depressing.

Seeing all of the responses already really is heartbreaking. Just...not much really keeps any of us here, it seems, other than habit and friends. It definitely isn't the website itself, that's for sure.

Recently read that part. Oh boy.

If detachment needed a photo they would use a photo of that event :/ Events seemed fun but that one was not even an exposition or something. Dude, if they are not with people why they announced they were to go to that event then?

Strange. And truly sad. Poor DJHelsing anyways.

Fashionable Phantom

I wish I could just walk away, but I can't. There's a lingering attachment that keeps me around...I feel like a ghost.
I made a new friend today and got in touch with an old one a few days ago. Other than my sentiment toward the old Gaia, they are probably what keeps me here.

josabean's Husbando

Greedy Husband

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
        After this latest series of events? Next to nothing is keeping me here. I have two people who still log on daily, they aren't even on for more than 20 minutes and very rarely post or change their statuses. I'm the same way. I log on, click through the mundane announcements, browse SF and GCD for the latest news and that is it.

All it'll take is one more push -- maybe not even that, until I leave this site. I don't participate in the events any more, I don't buy items any more, I haven't visited flash spaces in years. I'm just here to watch how this whole 133TGate thing turns out. After that, I'll probably end up going on hiatus.

I just don't really see the point any more.

O.G. Nerd

I stay because I have to make an outfit out of every pose of every item, and there are items I haven't worn yet.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff