Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is somthing interesting that I've taken the time to think long and hard about.
No, Gaia isnt generally somthing that would occupy all of my thoughts... but more the deterioration of the general society here. The site politics are what interested me.

We're an online community, and what i've found is we, on the whole, are a detestably status-oriented little world.

I had taken off my avatar clothing to sell some things, and the site-wide avatar saving immedietly went down. So guess what? Im nude.
While walking in this role, despite the fact that I've been a Gaian since 2003, and created this account the Spring of 2003... Have thousands of posts, and an account net value in the 6digit range...
I figure Im a pretty decent person. I ran a Ki Ki Kitty Charity last week, gave out 15 kitties, have a respectable standing as a small art vendor.

But that doesnt mean anything to anyone, because my avatar is naked.

This past day, I have been harassed, name called, flamed, picked on and excluded because of my pixilated outward appearance. Is this what our community is? A replication of the western society trying to fill a plastic mold?

Discuss. 3nodding
sweatdrop For the sake of bringing my thread back up, and to make an intelligent statment;

Does more pixilated gold really make the man(woman)? Most seem to think so,

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Hmm...that would certainly make for an interesting experiment.

I myself never actually got flamed or picked on when I was a newbie...but it was because I didn't post until I had gathered a few items together to make a decent outfit. While gathering the gold, I basically lurked to see the rules, how people followed them, what was generally unacceptable even if it's not in the rules...etc.

I don't know...I've heard many reports on being harrassed for being "nakie", but I've yet to see it.
Wow...well of course I'm not as experienced on Gaia as you, and from hearing stuff from my friends that "discovered" it first I wasn't the typical "dumb n00b" when I started. My avi was cool and I had TONS of gold (though not as much as you...) but I got bored with the hair and changed it JUST THIS AFTERNOON with the "delete the character" option in the profile. Because of this stupid "saving down" thing I am totally naked too! I haven't wanted to post on the forums or anything since I would get the same treatment you mentioned... sad
Hmmm I don't know...maybe it's cause I've had experience on forums (my friend made one for our grade at school and I was an admin) that I never really got picked on for asking "dumb" questions a lot of n00bs ask.
hmm ... this is an interesting subject, and I'm no sure how to respond (being it is 3am and I'm really tired... but putting that aside).

Sadly, I think it is that way. The more gold, the higher the status.

Not to be shallow or anything, but I know I do skim over the people without clothing, or the people with lack of 'style,' you might say. I think that is because they don't catch my eye though, or because I normally just see them 'bumping'/giving one word answers.

I'm not sure if I helped you out with your question at all. But this is what I think.
I strongly encourage users to walk a day on gaia Naked.

We recently had a Nakie day in february, to raise awareness that gaia is about the people, not the status.

However, things are just as bad as ever. If you dont have an OMG on, youre not worth enough to people to respect.
Sadly, it does seem that an avatar needs a lot of expensive, fancy stuff on it in order for the person behind the avi to get any repsect.

My main character is probably worth in the high five-digits, and she gets a lot more respect than I, a mule in flame clothes. Go figure.
Interestingly, if you typed PERFECTLY, you would be insulted far less. While avatars are an important part of user perception for some people, I believe how you type is the be-all, end-all of how you are percieved by users who have not seen you before.
The Iconoclast
Interestingly, if you typed PERFECTLY, you would be insulted far less. While avatars are an important part of user perception for some people, I believe how you type is the be-all, end-all of how you are percieved by users who have not seen you before.

I strongly agree.
That is interesting. now Ive been on since January and I have quite a few friends gold etc....... but since Ive made only bout 800 posts I do get flamed, it is the same in modern society with the Latest fashions if you are not wearing them you are a nobody and this has intergrated itself into the young minds
Well, seriously. Which one out of us two would you be more inclined to listen to?
I do agree with the typing and spelling theory. Now, Im not perfect, I do cut corners and write "theyre" instead of "they're" and such.
But generally, do I seem somewhat intelligable? I feel so, and thats what bothers me about the status catagorizing that happens because Im naked.
I do remember some people being a little rude when I was new to the site and was wearing cheap items. That doesn't really happen any more. xp
crystalline[BV]
Well, seriously. Which one out of us two would you be more inclined to listen to?

Could you please clarify for me? Are you indicating a comparrison between myself and yourself?

Having founded a charity myself, I feel the importance to read every post, by every person, as it was nessicary. So I dont share the feelings of 'skimming unworthy users'.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff