Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Rabbit

30,750 Points
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Married 100
  • Striking Knight 150
I use the block function far too much. Also I'm on another site (every blue moon when I need to appreciate Gaia more) with a bunch of passive aggressive people that would love to act nice to your face and then advertise how much they despise you for having an opinion elsewhere.

They do not have a block feature which is another reason I'm only on there every blue moon.
Blocks for me for the most part are only temporary. But I'd hate not having it as an option. ^_^

Wild Bibliophile

17,650 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
i think the whole time i've been here, i've only blocked 2 people, and they weren't posters in my threads or other people's threads. one was from someone that creeped me out a lot (didn't seem like a safe idea to keep chatting with them). and one was someone that was just rude to me when i asked them something, for really no reason at all. i figured it didn't matter if i never saw them around again.

so no i don't really abuse it, it's for special instances. i can tolerate most peoples opinions just fine, even if it's directly against mine, or an opinion about me. but even with that, a certain level of harassment would warrant the block function.

Saxy Coder

Personally, I think some people like to use Ignore more than the Friend or even the Reply button.

I think it is quite useful as a way to prevent further damage from another party, but I never use it permanently.
Currently, there is only one person on my ignore list, and that is due to them stealing my entire profile coding and using it for themselves without permission confused
I have them blocked at the moment to prevent them from doing so with future themes I create, but I will remove them in another week or two because then it will be a month since the incident occurred, and they'll have a second chance at redeeming themselves.

Some people still have me blocked even though I just made a post or two in one of their threads months ago, which I find horribly inconvenient due to my "line of work" on Gaia. I don't look into trying to contact them about it though -- just shurg it off and hope they maybe clean up their Ignore list one day and remove me off of it.

Interesting Girl

I have a huge ignore list because I don't like seeing ignorant hateful people. There is a reason I don't go on 4chan. If you want in moderated content you better head back there.

I'm not on gaia to debate and so I don't like seeing negative attitudes towards the things I feel passionately about, usually perpetrated by young and ignorant people, to be honest.

The other reason I block people is because of their negative attitudes. Sometimes people constantly come into my threads just to play devil's advocate and bring people down. It's negative and frustrating so I block.

It's a personal thing and I certainly won't stop. Makes gaia a nicer place for me.
/shrug

Fused Astronomer

`I c e y
I have a huge ignore list because I don't like seeing ignorant hateful people. There is a reason I don't go on 4chan. If you want in moderated content you better head back there.

I'm not on gaia to debate and so I don't like seeing negative attitudes towards the things I feel passionately about, usually perpetrated by young and ignorant people, to be honest.

The other reason I block people is because of their negative attitudes. Sometimes people constantly come into my threads just to play devil's advocate and bring people down. It's negative and frustrating so I block.

It's a personal thing and I certainly won't stop. Makes gaia a nicer place for me.
/shrug

I can spend my time on both places. I can choose, I don't have to head back there wink

Advice for the wise; don't go to a place called "Gaia Community Discussion" If you don't plan to discuss things, which naturally encourages debates.

Interesting Girl

Satzle
`I c e y

/shrug

I can spend my time on both places. I can choose, I don't have to head back there wink

Advice for the wise; don't go to a place called "Gaia Community Discussion" If you don't plan to discuss things, which naturally encourages debates.

I meant the general "you", and I meant if you're wanting completely unmoderated content.

I don't block in GCD, I block in CB. GCD discussions are harmless and stressless- and fun!

Hardcore Muse

-Do you use the block button?
-Back when I use to frequent the GD and CB I used the block button quite a bit to rid myself of spammers but now I don't use it at all. If someone is pestering me I just leave well enough alone and hope they'll do the same but if it gets to the point where they are continuously harassing me, then yes I will block them.

-Do you think the block button adds negatively to controversial discussions?
-Yes and no. I mean we all reach a point in the conversation where we're done arguing and sometimes the other party will let the subject drop and other times they won't and will continue to hound you, in which case I can see how blocking them would benefit you in the long run. Now when it comes to blocking people just because they disagree with your opinion I find that completely and utterly childish. Don't like that I disagree by all means let me know and argue your point of view, don't block me without saying a word. Nothing irritates me more.

Fused Astronomer

`I c e y
Satzle
`I c e y

/shrug

I meant the general "you", and I meant if you're wanting completely unmoderated content.

I don't block in GCD, I block in CB. GCD discussions are harmless and stressless- and fun!
Sorry, misunderstanding. I hope you understand. 3nodding

I just don't see the point. It's less effort to me to just ignore's posts by skipping them rather than press a button. I dunno.

Interesting Girl

Satzle
`I c e y
Satzle
`I c e y

/shrug

Sorry, misunderstanding. I hope you understand. 3nodding

I just don't see the point. It's less effort to me to just ignore's posts by skipping them rather than press a button. I dunno.

I dunno, just a personal decision! Posting a thread and getting negative nancy responses isn't a fun time, and negativity breeds negativity. If I have the option to rid myself of some of the negativity- I take it. I don't like to deal with rude people in my RL, so I don't. I don't like to deal with rude people on the internet- so I don't. : )

Diamond Dog

8,100 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
I love the ignore button because it lets me get rid of people who are annoying and consistently make annoying posts, as well as being able to keep a*****e/negative/mean people out of my threads.

There are tons of idiots on this website so the ignore button is a good tool for helping to mitigate that for me.

Anti Hero

I would never ignore you!
MuffinChick54
I have been on a hiatus and was unaware that you could block users. I see how it would be useful, but I doubt I'll use I unless I have serous reason. I ignore posts I don't like and then continue on with my day.

I had no clue that GAIA had a block button either.

Anyways,

4chan is where the scum of society go to populate. The people on there, and the content, is deplorable. We are all adults here & if people choose to block everyone that disagrees with them, so be it. Let people use this site and its features the way they deem fit. Just my opinion

Hilarious Raccoon

wintour

Anyways,

4chan is where the scum of society go to populate. The people on there, and the content, is deplorable. We are all adults here & if people choose to block everyone that disagrees with them, so be it. Let people use this site and its features the way they deem fit. Just my opinion

I agree. It makes no difference to me if someone blocks every user on Gaia. If that's what makes you happy then I think you should do it. I'm lucky I have never needed to block a user and hopefully it will stay that way.

Fused Astronomer

wintour
MuffinChick54
I have been on a hiatus and was unaware that you could block users. I see how it would be useful, but I doubt I'll use I unless I have serous reason. I ignore posts I don't like and then continue on with my day.

Anyways,

I feel like you have never, ever been to 4chan. And if you have, it's only been to /b/.

being uneducated about a website you detest makes your opinion seem daft.

Fused Astronomer

Vyrelost
I would never ignore you!
You're the best cool

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items