Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hmmm.....

Moral Relativism be Damned! (Give me a Third Option!!) 0.51851851851852 51.9% [ 70 ]
But the Don has suffered so much! (Dark Elf) 0.21481481481481 21.5% [ 29 ]
Vampires are so HOT (even if they're just room temperature ;)) 0.26666666666667 26.7% [ 36 ]
Total Votes:[ 135 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
So the weekend is here, and with it comes enough time for me to go through the back story and Forum Topics relating to the upcoming Hallowe'en Event, and then pick my Team.

The only problem is, to my way of thinking, both sides are bad guys! gonk

I mean, let's look at the antagonists in this situation...

On one side, you have Vampires...merciless, soulless killers, who's principle food source just happens to be we who are being asked to take up their struggle and fight along side them.

On the other side, we have the Kuro Gang, who have already proven themselves to have no moral or ethical problems with killing anyone who happens to impede their agenda.

And sorry, I'm not one to say "Sure he's a heartless, sociopathic killer, but just look at what he's been through! emo "

The way I see it, no matter which side I choose, when the dust finally settles and one side has finally decimated the other, Evil will have won the day.

I'd like a Third Option.

***EDIT***

Just to clarify, this is not intended as any kind of slight towards the folks at Gaia, and if anyone there took it as such, I offer my sincerest apologies.
The intent was and is more to discuss the absence of a clearly "righteous" faction, and perhaps, in a broader sense, to comment on the whole concept of moral relativism and ambiguity that, IMO at least, seems so prevalent these days.

Eloquent Explorer

Yeah, I was a bit confused when the sides were announced as well. I don't care how 'sad' the Don's story is, he is still the bad guy.
Vampires have good guys, but I don't know anything about Ambrosia and her gang to tell what side they come from.
I did pick Vampires, because I didn't see them releasing unplanned third option because the two they chose weren't great.
I think if they did release a third option, I'd be a bit miffed because I already sided, actually a lot of people already sided.
So unless they gave the option to switch teams, I'd just say bite the bullet and pick whichever seems to be less bad.

Formal Elocutionist

But the reason they didn't give a third option, is because a majority would pick the third option. rolleyes

Durem Dark Elf

10,400 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Healer 50
  • Survivor 150
Look at it this way, who is the immediate threat? Don Kuro. That's how I see it, anyway.

A Friend

Yeah, they're both pretty terrible.

But it would be boring to have a cliche "good" side and an equally cliche "evil" side.

A third option would have no place in this event, anyways. It's a 1-on-1 dispute.
Bringing a new NPC and a new faction into the conflict wouldn't make sense.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Ellie the Magnificent
Yeah, I was a bit confused when the sides were announced as well. I don't care how 'sad' the Don's story is, he is still the bad guy.
Vampires have good guys, but I don't know anything about Ambrosia and her gang to tell what side they come from.
I did pick Vampires, because I didn't see them releasing unplanned third option because the two they chose weren't great.
I think if they did release a third option, I'd be a bit miffed because I already sided, actually a lot of people already sided.
So unless they gave the option to switch teams, I'd just say bite the bullet and pick whichever seems to be less bad.

Yeah, I never really expected that a third option would be forthcoming, and I agree that to offer one now would be out of the question unless it came with the option of changing sides.

I've just always had an problem with the "sympathetic villain" thing, and the moral relativism that accompanies it.
It sometimes seems to me that the whole world has appointed themselves "Attorney for the Defence" and are quite happy to write off even the most horrific of crimes as long as the perpetrator's back story is sad enough.

I realise it's a little "over the top" to apply my frustration with some of society's eagerness to embrace the criminal, to a fictional Event on a web-site, but hey, it's what I do. wink

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Heimdalls Sight

Yeah, they're both pretty terrible.

But it would be boring to have a cliche "good" side and an equally cliche "evil" side.

A third option would have no place in this event, anyways. It's a 1-on-1 dispute.
Bringing a new NPC and a new faction into the conflict wouldn't make sense.

You are probably right, but then again, you never know.

As you yourself put it, Good Guys are often seen to be sort of boring, and when you get right down to it, they kind of are, hence our eternal fascination with the Bad Guys.

Still, seeing as so many "innocent bystanders" inevitably suffer whenever two warring factions battle, it seems rather fitting that they "have a say" in the outcome.

And I find myself wondering if a third side of Good Guys would really emerge victorious in this Event, or even tip the balance, because of the aforementioned fascination with the Bad Guys.
We'll never know of course, but I'd be surprised if, even with a Good Guy option, one of the Bad Guy sides didn't end up with the most supporters and ultimately win.

Eloquent Explorer

WideEyed

Oh no, I completely agree. I have seen people who want to change sides just because Luca caught something that made his skin gray
and his stature small and his mommy fell in love a vampire and they all had to live underground. It doesn't matter he became a Don.
Made tons of money. Rules all of the underworld. Went completely nuts. Tried to kill beloved NPC's (Gino, Ian and Louie)
and was responsible for two loved NPC deaths (Gambino and Meili). Not to mention his crazy genocide plan.
Also, we don't know what big, bad, black magic, BS he got himself involved with here, because he obviously isn't working alone.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Kawaii Carnivore

But at least , Luc-I mean Don Kuro is highly interesting , as a psychopathic being . Yup.Lots of interesting things to observe in this Greek Tragedy-remake.
...And aren t tragic sunsets enjoyable ?
While, I don t know, the vamps look a bit TOO good-natured this time...Smells fishy .
As to a third option, there ' s already one : not picking any side and not participating in the event .But sure , it will be sad .

^ 'As a Necromancer , I strongly disapprove the idea that Black Magic is always evil '.

Lucky Saint

15,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
You don't get a third choice. :/

This whole pre-event has showed me that Gaians hate making a choice. Or something.

Is it really that big of a deal? Evil is just a perception, besides it's not like there has been any side that remains complete good.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
TINSTAAFL
But the reason they didn't give a third option, is because a majority would pick the third option. rolleyes

I don't know about that...
Based on my opinion that people have this sneaking admiration for, and quiet desire to emulate, the Bad Boy, I find myself wondering if the Third/Good Guy Option would really be the one with the majority of supporters.

It might have been an interesting sociologic experiment. wink

Sparkly Lunatic

When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be about the presidential election xD

But anyways ....
I like that they have pitted an evil against an evil, it is Halloween after all!

Eloquent Explorer

nanaith

It's not always evil, but Luca is being 'evil' and therefore by default, if he is working with black magic, it's easy to assume that the forces he is working with are evil.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Your Blushing Paladin
You don't get a third choice. :/

This whole pre-event has showed me that Gaians hate making a choice. Or something.

Is it really that big of a deal? Evil is just a perception, besides it's not like there has been any side that remains complete good.

That's a rather interesting statement..."Evil is just a perception".

I remember having a long, late-night debate with someone years ago, about the nature of "Good and Evil", and while I will go as far as to allow that they are to some extent, social constructs, agreed upon by the majority, once what constitutes Good and Evil have been established, they become fairly concrete.
I don't think there's an awful lot of people out there who view cold blooded murder as anything other than evil.
At least I hope there's not. sweatdrop

As for your other observation that we hate choosing...

I hear that!

I always hate having to choose a side in these things, if only because I hate the thought of missing out on a cool Item because I picked the wrong Team. xp

Thank goodness for Mules! wink

Cluttered Gaian

I adore the thought that has been put into this topic.
However, I'd recommend re-phrasing your words, because it seems like you're asking staff to institute a third side instead of just exploring what this event would be with one. You can't change the staff plan here and it's stupid to pretend you can, so you're going to be downvoted and ignored by people who know that.

That said, this thread is doing a much better job of exploring the potential of a third side than any other thread (werewolves for peace oh u), because it's not creating a user-run faction for the hell of it. I like looking at the situation this way, we need a critical analysis of the storyline's potential that isn't simply negative.

I'm interested because this is the first time we're asked to chose between lesser-evils, rather than very cut and dry 'good vs. bad' or 'order vs. chaos' factions. And the NPCs who sent the calls to arms are both incredibly untrustworthy as individuals, regardless of their sides.

The vampires are the lesser of these two evils, because they're taking revenge on Don Kuro for his actions and trying to preserve the status quo, selfish reasons aside.
The Kuro Gang is the more evil of the two because the Don's motivations and actions are the most harmful to Gaia's world and people. He's actively harming people's lives. Until we meet more gods, we can't be completely sure that he's in the wrong, but we can be certain that he is disrupting the ecosystem if nothing else. This is in addition to the confirmed murder, property damage, promotion of indentured servitude, racism, generally being a d**k, and numerous other assumed crimes due to the fact that he is a ******** mob boss. We aren't sure what dark powers he's engaging in, but whoever this He is definitely promotes the heinous actions of Don Kuro. His mother making choices that affected him negatively and being a tattoo addict/otaku/short of stature does not change these facts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff