Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Noob

5,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
The Karma system was something that was supposedly going to come out a good long while back...almost a year I think, the way it worked was that depending on what you did in Gaia, you would get rewarded or face consequences, like...I suppose if you flamed alot pointlessly, you'd get WAY less random events, next to none at all, and the opposite for if you just helped other people.

but alas it was trashed, I assure you, it wouldn't have worked out anyways, there would have been a flurry of complaints, which would only result those who get very little, get even less. I think it was also supposed to affect gold intake and store prices, but still, the admins trashed the Idea. 3nodding
They prolly scrapped the Karma System, since you can't really judge karma from posts, unless there was someone going around to EVERY post and labeling them good or bad. And that would be too tedious. If they did go through with it, it'd only be able to monitor donations >.> but even then you couldn't tell if it was a donation and not just a reg trade for like an art commission.
I've donated over 15k worth of items to someone and I still haven't got any random events. gonk

3,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conversationalist 100
The Karma system could've worked if we tied it into the Reporting system. You could also have a user run rating system where people choose how "evil" a post/topic is (although that leaves room for stupid grudges, etc.)

Newbie Noob

5,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Deviant
The Karma system could've worked if we tied it into the Reporting system. You could also have a user run rating system where people choose how "evil" a post/topic is (although that leaves room for stupid grudges, etc.)

(and Once again, for anyone that didn't read the top of this page, the Karma system was scrapped a long long time ago...I'm sure...really neutral )

Yes grudges, wrongly judging, and it wold turn out like with polls, there would be rate whores that would just rate at random, so it still wouldn't have worked that well.
I wish it wasn't scrapped.
Karma eh? Nifty! 3nodding
Only the original plans for the karma system were scrapped.

CykosArchangel
Yes grudges, wrongly judging, and it wold turn out like with polls, there would be rate whores that would just rate at random, so it still wouldn't have worked that well.
It's not hard to take into affect people rating at random/purposely up/purposely down. Hence why back when the old karma system was more openly talked about, in reference to the art arena, it was mentioned what people actually recieve would vary on a variety of different variables. The innitial rating someone gave a piece of art would be compared to what other's have rated it (so say a good 100 to 1000 people have been giving it an average between 7-9, someone coming alone and rating it 1 isn't going to have as much of an impact on the score as someone rating closer). Then aside from how the vote compares to people rating that piece, it also takes into account your past scoring history. If you're rating all 1-2s on everything or 9-10s, that would impact how your rating is factored in. It's not just a straight average from the scores given. Looking at the AA now, even on artist accounts where no submissions have been deleted you'll notice how scores don't match up for straight value (EX: Add up all the current scores on each piece of art and find the average. Note how it doesn't match their overall rating [and not by enough that it's only being affected by rounding]. This is also one of the reason it's been rumored a portion of the old karma system was and still is implimented in the AA).

Some people also assume a portion was implimented into the bank (though no real proof aside from a high percentage of users coincidentally getting random events after sending one sided trades).
gonk It got junked, unfortunately.

Newbie Noob

5,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Kazumi Ryoudo
If you're rating all 1-2s on everything or 9-10s, that would impact how your rating is factored in.

Well, that case, we'd still have rating whores, if your "karma" goes up from giving better ratings, than we'd see nothing but 9s and 10's even on things that the rater knows doesn't deserve the score he/she gives. ( I might have read that wrong and thought it meant something else, excuse me if I did.)

Kazumi Ryoudo
Some people also assume a portion was implimented into the bank (though no real proof aside from a high percentage of users coincidentally getting random events after sending one sided trades).
Well there are two things wrong with that idea:
1. The most obvious being that, if anyone got more chances of random events, then they wouldn't be random events.
2. People could use this to there advantage still, say Gaian A has a mule account (Gaian B), Gaian A "donates" a fairly large sum to Gaian B, and with the karma system Gaian A either gets a rare event or gets much higher chances of getting a rare event, both accounts could just keep sending one sided trades and keep getting more than the passed "donation" is worth. It would be abusing the System greatly.
Um, no. you're karma wouldn't go up for giving better ratings. If you were to vote 10 on something the majority was giving 6-7, your vote would count a lot less. Not to mention the voting example is only in reference to the AA. Not in how individual accounts would gain 'karma'. The karma system wasn't all about doing 'good deeds/being nice' anyways. If voting in the AA was to affect your own personal karma, voting 9's or 10's on everything would have a negative impact on you.

Reply to #1: Having more of a chance does not mean you will get one now does it? It's chance after all, not a for sure thing. Think back to when we had the old referal system and any time someone you refered signed up (on a different IP), alongside the 50g, you had a temporary increase in the possibility of receiving a rare. Did it take away the randomness? Not at all.

Reply to #2: Yeah, here would be the issue with focusing on limited variables. It's not just the fact it's a one-sided trade. Your past trade history as well as the user you're trading with's past trade history would be taken into consideration (times you've traded with them, how long it's been since the last time you've sent a one sided-trade, the contents of the trade, etc etc). As far as I've seen, if it is implimented in the bank, IP's aren't taken into account (unlike other things such as the referal system). If it was seriously as simple as your example assumes, the only thing implimented would be one simple string of code automatically giving an account a higher percentage anytime an empty trade is sent. Why bother coding a karma system if that was all it was going to be?

If you want a good example of the variety and vastness of what would affect your karma, think of how the amount of gold you earn from posting is determined. A few of the known variables- Length, Time, how long you've been logged in, how long since you're last post, repeat words, and that's barely scratching the surface.

It's the use of a check and balance system with numerous variables that makes it work. Unfortunately, with the original Karma System, everything you do was to have some sort of impact. Imaging the amount of variables that determine gold gain from a single post and apply those to everything single thing users can possiblly do on the site from getting warnings or their sig disabled to clicking a single link or lurking in a particular forum. With a growing site, obviously creatign something like that would be near impossible in the end and hence why the original plan was scratched.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff