Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stellar Succubus

I use it for many reasons, sometimes not even negatively. Sometimes I use it to silence a virtual space so I can communicate with someone without having to be interrupted and being able to keep track of the log when I come back from afk even if it is relatively crowded.

For that same reason, if someone keeps interrupting a conversation there, I'll ignore them so I don't have to continue to be annoyed by them. I usually remove these folks from the list once I'm done.

I think the use in threads can be justified, what one person thinks is defending an opposing opinion, is another person's obstinate aggression.

Contrary to popular belief, we may block for whatever reason we like. There's no such thing as "abuse of the block system". I see that one slung about a lot. I actually thought it was real myself until I was corrected by a moderator! But I think even bothering to call someone out on it is equally immature. Just walk away from a futile battle. It saves a lot of angst smile

I have also had to deal with someone who wouldn't take no for an answer, so I was forced to ignore him here. I would rather remove myself from his sight too.

Oneirose Ashwalker's Significant Otter

Smitten Kitten

18,475 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Magical Girl 50
Existential Existence

The Abuse of Love
People don't all deal with things the same way. I can't understand wanting to run into an obnoxious person I don't care for over and over again. If I have seen someone consistently make posts that make my blood pressure rise then I want to stop seeing those posts. I'd rather not be tempted to be confrontational or even have to deal with agitation. Gaia is a place I visit to have fun, I don't want to pepper it with unpleasantness. So sometimes I smooth things out with the ignore button.

yeah I think that's how most people use the ignore feature, aside from harassment issues and trolls. ultimately we come here for entertainment. for some people, getting into conflicts is part of what they consider entertainment. but for others, it's just not their cup of tea so the better alternative is to put anger-inducing persons on ignore. sometimes you don't want to be potential conflict fodder for that person either, so you take the proactive step of putting them on your ignore list so they don't even have the chance to start up s**t with you and waste your time.

Exactly.

And I've dealt with stalking, so there's that too.

Magic Hobo

Harassment cases or getting people out of your thread.

But y'know some people are gigantic babies and ignore folk for all kinds of silly reasons.

Kurby123321 's Honey Bun

Beloved Bunny

I use the ignore button only on people that send me password phishing pms,
And on people who really disrespect me.
I rather not deal with those people anymore.

Wealthy Businessman

18,850 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle Hardened 150

I love the feature. It's very useful against those begging peeps.
If you beg for my items/gold then I'll block you just to be rid of you forever

Shirtless Powerhouse

These are my general feelings on it. I don't mind when people ignore me, really. Except that with the new system I can't see their threads. Which means I can't see my OWN POSTS in their threads, which bothers me. I don't like that users can now use the ignore system to control the content I can see.

Shameless Exhibitionist

12,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
VVhip
I use it for many reasons, sometimes not even negatively. Sometimes I use it to silence a virtual space so I can communicate with someone without having to be interrupted and being able to keep track of the log when I come back from afk even if it is relatively crowded.

For that same reason, if someone keeps interrupting a conversation there, I'll ignore them so I don't have to continue to be annoyed by them. I usually remove these folks from the list once I'm done.

I think the use in threads can be justified, what one person thinks is defending an opposing opinion, is another person's obstinate aggression.

Contrary to popular belief, we may block for whatever reason we like. There's no such thing as "abuse of the block system". I see that one slung about a lot. I actually thought it was real myself until I was corrected by a moderator! But I think even bothering to call someone out on it is equally immature. Just walk away from a futile battle. It saves a lot of angst smile

I have also had to deal with someone who wouldn't take no for an answer, so I was forced to ignore him here. I would rather remove myself from his sight too.

I hadn't thought about using it for virtual spaces, and that actually sounds like a really good use of the ignore feature.

I suppose for me, I enjoy somewhat heated and aggressive debates. So long as nobody is flinging insults around, I actually get pleasure out of those. =w= I guess it's strange for me to think that stuff like that actually makes people angry. I actually get quite upset when I'm debating with somebody, see they've quoted me, and then find out that they've put me on their ignore list. I do stop and walk away at that point, but it's very annoying when somebody forces themselves to have the last word in what I thought was a normal debate.

I also hadn't though about what it would be like if I had a bunch of really expensive items on, and people just thought it was okay to beg for gold/items just for that reason. I think I could ignore the first PM without responding, but if somebody kept bothering me even if I didn't respond the first time, and didn't stop even after I sent them a message asking them to, I'd probably block that person after reporting them, because I think that sort of harassment is against the rules.

So yeah, I'm seeing more legitimate uses for it now. =w= I suppose my own level of tolerance for just random people online is pretty high. I don't get irritated easily by really anything (except for shopping carts but that's another place and time), so for me, it's very hard to think of a scenario where somebody is annoying enough that I want to ignore them forever, without being so annoying that it's actually against the TOS.

Angelic Cat

23,165 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Snowball Hero 200
actually it's useful in zomg if you have a terrible leader in a crew and want to make sure you'll never crew with that person again.

Cambrie Noel's Husband

Wicked Demigod

My ignore list consists mostly of spammers and people who have continued to PM me about donations after having received an answer (probably not the one they wanted) - I have ignored a lot of spammers from Virtual Hollywood and Towns simply because they lagged me, and it's horribly annoying to be interrupted with "walls of text"/nonsense all the time, when I ignore them then it's done and I don't have to get interrupted or annoyed again. These spammers are not just one time spammers, but people who consistently spam every time they were there.

Either way, everyone has a limit, if you're able to turn your back that easily to things then that's good for you, but not everyone is able to do that x]

Wheezing Lunatic

I only have one person on my ignore list, and that's due to going to my comments and swearing at me simply because I listed something lower on the marketplace.

Magical Kitten

Well I had a stalker once that found me on Gaia, I think that's a perfectly reasonable use of the ignore feature. neutral Not everyone clicking "Ignore" is a whiny brat that can't stand people disagreeing with them.

Lets see, everyone I've ever ignored was... scammers, phishers, beggars, or harassing me. Only once have I ignored someone just for being annoying, and that person was only on my ignore list for a month because I figured he'd moved on to another victim by then.

I mean sure, you can just mentally ignore them, but why bother with that? Mentally ignoring someone takes more energy than just putting them on ignore. You mention that you do it all the time in real life, well so do I. But honestly if there was a way to never have to see, hear, or deal with a person at all ever again I totally would. Then I wouldn't have to waste any mental energy on ignoring them or avoiding them. That's the essence of the ignore feature.

Benevolent Duck

i don't get on gaia to deal with bullshit; i get on gaia to enjoy my free time.

and if someone interferes with that often enough to make me want to ignore them, then yep, they're going on my ignore list - which doesn't actually happen often.

this also occasionally happens when someone from another site who i no longer want to speak to finds me here and tries to talk to me. :/ that's not harassment, really, so it's not reportable, but i still don't want to have to deal with them.

Benevolent Cutesmasher

14,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User Image
User Image

Its best to just use it if you have to, its a safety thing. I will use it quickly as i was raised around computers (My father worked for Macintosh in the 90's I had internet nearly a year before its widespread release.) So I've learnt to take no chances anymore, yes I do get into an argument occasionly on Gaia but only when it gets bad or is obviouse bullying i'll just straight up ignore someone.

My other reason is when someone overeacts to something I've said and threatens me (Happened a week ago) threatend to report me (I had'nt done anything against the TOS) So I just ignored him.

Invisible Player

I have never ignored someone. so I don't really know what it does.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff