Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Exhibitionist

12,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
No, really, it does. I honestly don't understand why people use the ignore feature, short of the sort of immature people who start a thread and then ignore anybody who criticizes them in any way because they can't handle it.

I sometimes feel very alone in this, because users seem to use it all the time. But for me, it seems very strange to put somebody onto a list so that you don't even have to look at them again. The only people I would want to do that to would be gore trolls and people who are legitimately harassing me, and in those cases I know my better option is to report that user to some moderators and let them take care of the issue.

So I'm legitimately curious, what do you use the ignore system for? Why do you use it instead of just... ignoring a person with your mind? What does the ignore system do for you that you're unable to do for yourself.

I mean, maybe it sounds crazy, but if I don't want to talk to somebody, I just... don't talk to them. I've never had somebody repeatedly try to talk to me if I wasn't replying to them, and if somebody ever did, I'd probably just report them for harassment and move on.

Anyways, yes. Please, somebody, anybody, explain what the ignore system is good for other than blocking gore trolls from sight after you've reported a thread. D: I'm dying to understand it better.

Perfect Pumpkin

Well, you see. The problem with natural ignorance is that we're human. We can only truly ignore something if we don't know it's there. If you see something you don't want to, and then try to ignore it, you've still seen it and contemplated it. It's what our brains do, tricky devils.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
I get ridiculously riled up about things sometimes. I dunno why. I probably should be on drugs or something, tbh, but I have no health insurance so I can't afford it, so until then, it's way better for me to put people on ignore so I don't have to look at them any more.

Shameless Exhibitionist

12,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
J 4 C K
Well, you see. The problem with natural ignorance is that we're human. We can only truly ignore something if we don't know it's there. If you see something you don't want to, and then try to ignore it, you've still seen it and contemplated it. It's what our brains do, tricky devils.

Yes, but can't you just, not focus on it anymore? That's what I always do. I've not met people on Gaia I don't like because I mostly stay on a few boards and don't post a lot, but on other websites that I'm more socially active on, there are people who annoy me because of their behavior. And I simply don't pay attention to them, but instead pay attention to my friends and the people I care about. It's the same way I dealt with living with a racist and violent cousin in real life, or when my friend is posting s**t on facebook about rescuing dogs from shelters (which wouldn't be annoying except that she will post 10 times a day about it when she's on a kick). I just look at it, and decide that I have more important and better things to do with my time than spend any more attention on it.

Just because a person has some behaviors that are annoying doesn't make them bad people, though. And so I feel like flat out ignoring somebody forever because of one aspect of their personality is a pretty bad way to treat people. Like my friend with the annoying shelter-dog spam. She has other aspects of her personality that are nice, and that's why I can look past her spamming tendencies. Even my racist douchebag cousin had his nice moments.

Perfect Pumpkin

Lemonade-Skittles
J 4 C K

Yes, but can't you just, not focus on it anymore? That's what I always do. I've not met people on Gaia I don't like because I mostly stay on a few boards and don't post a lot, but on other websites that I'm more socially active on, there are people who annoy me because of their behavior. And I simply don't pay attention to them, but instead pay attention to my friends and the people I care about. It's the same way I dealt with living with a racist and violent cousin in real life, or when my friend is posting s**t on facebook about rescuing dogs from shelters (which wouldn't be annoying except that she will post 10 times a day about it when she's on a kick). I just look at it, and decide that I have more important and better things to do with my time than spend any more attention on it.

Just because a person has some behaviors that are annoying doesn't make them bad people, though. And so I feel like flat out ignoring somebody forever because of one aspect of their personality is a pretty bad way to treat people. Like my friend with the annoying shelter-dog spam. She has other aspects of her personality that are nice, and that's why I can look past her spamming tendencies. Even my racist douchebag cousin had his nice moments.
"I just look at it, and decide that I have more important and better things to do with my time than spend any more attention on it."

That quote right there. Why do that any more than you have to? Add them to your ignore list and you don't HAVE TO. It's done and dealt with.

Shameless Exhibitionist

12,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Lazarus Larkin
I get ridiculously riled up about things sometimes. I dunno why. I probably should be on drugs or something, tbh, but I have no health insurance so I can't afford it, so until then, it's way better for me to put people on ignore so I don't have to look at them any more.

I could see that. It's kind of like knowing that if you stay in a room with a person at a party, you're going to lose control and start a fight, so you leave the room before you even get that chance?

I mean, I can't say I've ever been there myself. I spend more time angry at inanimate objects then I do at people. =w=' The way I see it, if a person is doing something that would make me angry, then they're not worth my energy getting angry over. Basically, I have better things to do with my time than to spend it being angry at a person. Hating a person actively takes just as much if not more energy than loving a person, and I don't want to give a person that I don't like that much of my time and energy.

I dunno. I guess maybe it's my personality? But for me, it just seems weird to care enough about a person who is being obnoxious or annoying that my only option is to put them on ignore forever.

Shameless Exhibitionist

12,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Pieversity 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
J 4 C K
Lemonade-Skittles
J 4 C K

"I just look at it, and decide that I have more important and better things to do with my time than spend any more attention on it."

That quote right there. Why do that any more than you have to? Add them to your ignore list and you don't HAVE TO. It's done and dealt with.

Yes, but again, just because a person has done one thing that is annoying doesn't mean that they're a bad person. I can't think of what a person could do that would be so bad that I'd feel my only option would be to put them on an ignore list. If somebody has posted a thread like "Niggers should be shot" or something, then I just glaze over it and move on; clicking on the thread to ignore the user would take more energy than me ignoring it does. Maybe if I'd already clicked the thread to report it? But even still, once I've reported the thread, the user is likely to be banned, so it seems like a waste to bother ignoring the person on top of that.

People who talk in third person annoy me greatly, but I still recognize that they probably have something to add to a conversation, even if they do it in a way that I find extremely obnoxious. I feel like ignoring somebody for a reason like that just makes you miss out on seeing other people's points of view.

I mean, seriously. I can't think of a situation where a person would be bad enough that I'd want to ignore them without being so bad that I should just report them to a moderator and let them be banned.

Perfect Pumpkin

Lemonade-Skittles
J 4 C K
Lemonade-Skittles
J 4 C K

Yes, but again, just because a person has done one thing that is annoying doesn't mean that they're a bad person. I can't think of what a person could do that would be so bad that I'd feel my only option would be to put them on an ignore list. If somebody has posted a thread like "Niggers should be shot" or something, then I just glaze over it and move on; clicking on the thread to ignore the user would take more energy than me ignoring it does. Maybe if I'd already clicked the thread to report it? But even still, once I've reported the thread, the user is likely to be banned, so it seems like a waste to bother ignoring the person on top of that.

People who talk in third person annoy me greatly, but I still recognize that they probably have something to add to a conversation, even if they do it in a way that I find extremely obnoxious. I feel like ignoring somebody for a reason like that just makes you miss out on seeing other people's points of view.

I mean, seriously. I can't think of a situation where a person would be bad enough that I'd want to ignore them without being so bad that I should just report them to a moderator and let them be banned.
Consistent and agitated disagreement doesn't mean that they did anything wrong, thus they wouldn't be banned.

For me, as an example... I ignore someone at 5 tips. At that point they have established a pattern of behavior I do not tolerate. Why allow myself to be subjected to that over and over and over and over and over and over? Simply add them to my list and move on. I obviously don't care for anything they have to offer anyway, so I'm not missing out on anything.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Out of sight, out of mind.

Imagine someone has a low tolerance for bullshit. Then the ignore feature comes real handy with cutting out the main source of eye rollage and irritation.

you might be okay with coexisting with that sort of stuff but other people have different tolerance levels for different things/types of activity they consider ignorable. i mean, why coexist with hostile people when you can just put them on ignore and keep your blood pressure calm as you browse gaia cool in that respect, it is also the healthier option lol

Perfect Pumpkin

Existential Existence
Out of sight, out of mind.

Imagine someone has a low tolerance for bullshit. Then the ignore feature comes real handy with cutting out the main source of eye rollage and irritation.

you might be okay with coexisting with that sort of stuff but other people have different tolerance levels for different things/types of activity they consider ignorable. i mean, why coexist with hostile people when you can just put them on ignore and keep your blood pressure calm as you browse gaia cool in that respect, it is also the healthier option lol
You're a healthier option.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Oneirose Ashwalker's Significant Otter

Smitten Kitten

18,475 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Magical Girl 50
People don't all deal with things the same way. I can't understand wanting to run into an obnoxious person I don't care for over and over again. If I have seen someone consistently make posts that make my blood pressure rise then I want to stop seeing those posts. I'd rather not be tempted to be confrontational or even have to deal with agitation. Gaia is a place I visit to have fun, I don't want to pepper it with unpleasantness. So sometimes I smooth things out with the ignore button.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
J 4 C K

i had a bunch of pepperoni (just pepperoni that i put on a plate, microwaved) today and when i eat that much salt and oil i feel like all the good-but-bad food is collecting it's evil energy somewhere inside my chest, and it's ready to burst and make me hormonal and angry until i sleep it off during the night.

if that's a meme i don't get it but okay biggrin obama!

The Abuse of Love
People don't all deal with things the same way. I can't understand wanting to run into an obnoxious person I don't care for over and over again. If I have seen someone consistently make posts that make my blood pressure rise then I want to stop seeing those posts. I'd rather not be tempted to be confrontational or even have to deal with agitation. Gaia is a place I visit to have fun, I don't want to pepper it with unpleasantness. So sometimes I smooth things out with the ignore button.

yeah I think that's how most people use the ignore feature, aside from harassment issues and trolls. ultimately we come here for entertainment. for some people, getting into conflicts is part of what they consider entertainment. but for others, it's just not their cup of tea so the better alternative is to put anger-inducing persons on ignore. sometimes you don't want to be potential conflict fodder for that person either, so you take the proactive step of putting them on your ignore list so they don't even have the chance to start up s**t with you and waste your time.

Perfect Pumpkin

Existential Existence
J 4 C K

i had a bunch of pepperoni (just pepperoni that i put on a plate, microwaved) today and when i eat that much salt and oil i feel like all the good-but-bad food is collecting it's evil energy somewhere inside my chest, and it's ready to burst and make me hormonal and angry until i sleep it off during the night.

if that's a meme i don't get it but okay biggrin obama!

The Abuse of Love

yeah I think that's how most people use the ignore feature, aside from harassment issues and trolls. ultimately we come here for entertainment. for some people, getting into conflicts is part of what they consider entertainment. but for others, it's just not their cup of tea so the better alternative is to put anger-inducing persons on ignore. sometimes you don't want to be potential conflict fodder for that person either, so you take the proactive step of putting them on your ignore list so they don't even have the chance to start up s**t with you and waste your time.
If it's a meme I don't get it either. I just copied the first face that had a good expression on it.

=Cricket cricket=

Rapire's Queen

Demonic Cutie-Pie

X

User Image

If it's an issue I have with someone in the forums, then no I don't put them on my ignore list.

But when it comes to people who harass me at every waking moment they get a chance to, then I think using it should be fine. I've come across people on here who can be really immature and hurtful. I had to ignore someone who was harassing me over my items, and it wasn't just simple "can I have this" it was more. It was full on threats against me. I know they could never harm me, but that doesn't mean I need to keep allowing the pms I get from the many accounts they made.

I also had problems from people I was friends with. Who became clingy ti the point where they had to know what I was doing at all times. If I took longer than 5min to reply to a pm they would get really upset. I'd hardly say it's immature to wanna rid myself of people who are going to stress me out when I come here to get rid of stress.

User Image

dancing_ice's Fangirl

Sometimes it's not even because of what people did or say that puts them on my ignore list, it's their signatures.
In the name of 'freedom of speech et al.' there are some things I still don't agree with but won't try to change their minds, still it doesn't mean I have to put up with their views either.
As far as I know, the ignored people won't know they're being ignored, so really, no harm done. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff