Welcome to Gaia! ::

Evolved Hunter

-Elie-
$7k is still $7k... glad to see any help go to the relief effort. I for one didn't trust Gaia to actually send in much at all. And I'm still curious how much Gaia gleamed off the top as part of their "costs".

Tho that "rounding up" part left a sad little taste in my mouth. emotion_facepalm

Why did it make you sad? They rounded it up using their own money.

Sparkly Bunny

22,175 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Super Fightin Robot

if you read some of the past comments i think you'd find others that would agree. Percentage wise, the not-quite $100 they added from their own money rather pales in comparison to the general total effort and to past charities. As it was mentioned, for past charity Gaia matched or donated $10,000 for the japan and haiti each.

The not-quite 1% of the past efforts for the current charity makes me sad. Rather indicative of the current administration and the harsher view of the current users. Gaia is going thru tough times and the users react to it. Why wouldn't it make you sad?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did it. $7k will still help. It made me get moving and buy GC for the first time in years.

Obsessive Cutesmasher

18,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Streaker 200
Kain-Senpai
DYRL
Are people really complaining about this? For real? I'm not stuck in some Twilight Zone am I?

I wonder how much OP donated, oh right I forgot! It's much easier to b***h at Gaia than to look at you're own self.

The reason why the raised 6.9k instead of more is because that's how much the user base gave. So don't get pissed off at Gaia, get pissed of at yourselves.

Actually don't get pissed off, 7k is a lot and it's for Charity. It's too rude to b***h about a donation

You have no idea how much the OP donated and you have no right to ask, as it's none of your business. It's not always easy to complain about a site you like a lot, but many of the business decisions as of late have caused many rifts.

Users are upset at Gaia because of how they're being treated. Many don't like being treated as a walking wallet and have vowed to close off their funds to tell Gaia that. It's Gaia's fault for driving users to this point, not the users themselves.

7k compared to 55k? Yea, that's a lot.

Well I know he has donated in the past because he's a good Gaia friend of mine. A ton of my friends that have played zOMG! in the past have forked a lot of Gaia Cash for Mcs, EIs, REIs, and power-ups. Why does everyone assume the worst of people lately? I know that he is asking is comparing the donation to what has been donated in the past charities. It seems like a pretty neutral question to me. Basically he wants the opinion of others if people think that was enough or do you think Gaia users could have raised more than that. I don't see this as tearing Gaia HQ down. How dare anyone have a different opinion on this site? rofl But thank you for sticking up for my friend, it's very much appreciated. I'm very sad on how many friends are upset because of whatever the Flynn's Booty thing is. All I read from an announcement is that it is giving away up to 250 mil. No wonder marketplace prices are crazy. If anyone has read Pan's journal, Gaia said they would never do a gold generator, but hey it's Gaia. You can't take anything said seriously in Gaiaunderland or the Gaialight Zone. Topsy-Turvey site is what this chaotic site has become. burning_eyes at the Black Friday prices. I think this is the first year in which there hasn't been an item under 200 GC.

I do know that a my religion is donating to not just this disaster, but all the other ones that have happened in the world. I guess food isn't needed for them, but financial support and I'm sure plenty of volunteers will help them rebuild their houses. It's sad knowing I lost 27 spiritual family members in the Philippines. I actually have friends that speak Tagalog and I hope that any family they have down there are safe. I think Japan and India was hit with some storms too. The world is suffering right now.

Pumpkin

Kain-Senpai
Personally, Gaia should have matched that cent for cent. Giving an extra $97.50 to round it up, is well, I dunno... I feel sad about it. I wish more was donated, but that doesn't count the amount of funds users donated towards other organizations.
yep
for the haiti earthquake they matched up to 10,000 usd. i don't know how much they matched for the japan earthquake but they ended up raising 50,000 usd.
in comparison to those, 7,000 is a pretty pathetic number.

and i suspect they only did it as a tax write off. i don't think it was about real charity this time around.
but that's just me being bitter.

Strawberrei's Kouhai

Shirtless Sex Symbol

19,800 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50
I commemorate the generous users. I'm sure a lot of them purchased more than one.

That said, I am still rather ashamed of Gaia. They could have done more. They recoloured ONE of the three Kannon items and didn't match the donations made from the users. They only started this after people complained Gaia did nothing about it.

Gaia is no longer the same business. Before Gaia prioritized user experience and genuinely cared about their users and issues that affected other Gaians. These days, Gaia prioritizes their profits and puts their users closer to the bottom of the priority list.

Mysterious Trickster

fudanshi fever
Kain-Senpai
Personally, Gaia should have matched that cent for cent. Giving an extra $97.50 to round it up, is well, I dunno... I feel sad about it. I wish more was donated, but that doesn't count the amount of funds users donated towards other organizations.
yep
for the haiti earthquake they matched up to 10,000 usd. i don't know how much they matched for the japan earthquake but they ended up raising 50,000 usd.

and i suspect they only did it as a tax write off. i don't think it was about real charity this time around.

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know, but I wouldn't blame other users feeling the same way.

Destitute Wench

Coupler
That doesn't really seem like much considering how many users would have helped out if Gaia didn't bleed us dry beforehand. I get that 7k is quite a bit it just doesn't seem like it will help but just a small bit considering all the homes destroyed.

What do you think GCD? Could Gaia have done better under different circumstances?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After reading responses,

God forbid I post a little bit of my own opinions about how Gaia did with handling this charity. As some of you seem to think, I'm bashing Gaia for doing something GOOD. Well sorry to burst your bubbles but I'm not. I'm just pointing out that with the events leading up to the decision to help out, we got more sales before Gaia stepped out and said lets help! I myself didn't donate through Gaia. I don't trust companies that are not relief/help for tragedies. Just my own reasons.

So since I was bashed and people are butthurt. THANK YOU GAIA FOR DOING THIS. YOU REALLY STEPPED UP AND SHOWED THE COMMUNITY YOU'RE NOT MONEY HUNGRY. Cause 1 good deed negates the bad.

-This is the last time I post in the GCD. Delete this thread if you wish.

Don't be sad. You do have the right to your opinion. I wonder how many of those posters would have said things like that to your face. None. wink

Loyal Exhibitionist

fudanshi fever
Kain-Senpai
yep

Well, I guess Gaia would probably be at fault here for pulling in such low numbers compared to their other donation drives.

They've left a bad taste in our mouths with their constant so-called "sales", Flynn's assets, more and more GC-only exclusives (like Switch'em that could only be played with GC in the past for example) and generally ignoring our feedback and opinions. We end up with much less (or no) money, or our "purse strings" are much tighter due to distrust or abandonment. Why would anyone want to give money to Gaia after all of that, even if it's not actually for THEM? It's like paying a thief to rob you. It's the mentality Gaia has drilled into our heads that makes us think differently.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Evolved Hunter

-Elie-
Super Fightin Robot

if you read some of the past comments i think you'd find others that would agree. Percentage wise, the not-quite $100 they added from their own money rather pales in comparison to the general total effort and to past charities. As it was mentioned, for past charity Gaia matched or donated $10,000 for the japan and haiti each.

The not-quite 1% of the past efforts for the current charity makes me sad. Rather indicative of the current administration and the harsher view of the current users. Gaia is going thru tough times and the users react to it. Why wouldn't it make you sad?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did it. $7k will still help. It made me get moving and buy GC for the first time in years.

Fair enough. Unfortunately we have a different administration now, so I guess some things change for the worse. *shrug*

Perfect Saint

I'm glad Gaia did what they did.

Wild Bookworm

I'm delighted Gaia's users did that. Regardless of how much or how little anyone thinks it is, it's an indication of how valuable Gaia is as a community, not just a bunch of consumers and customers. That's 7k more for relief that wasn't there before, because of this community.
Super Fightin Robot
-Elie-
$7k is still $7k... glad to see any help go to the relief effort. I for one didn't trust Gaia to actually send in much at all. And I'm still curious how much Gaia gleamed off the top as part of their "costs".

Tho that "rounding up" part left a sad little taste in my mouth. emotion_facepalm

I don't know about others, but what left a bad taste in my mouth was that they tried to use that $100 as leverage for good will. I mean, sure, round it up, but don't make a big deal out of it if you really didn't do much. $100 by itself isn't bad, but when you consider that items they're selling goes for much more, it seems kind of... shallow? I can't think of the right word for it

Basically, it's the fact that they expected us to think that they were awesome for it. For a company that sells items at $1,000 chipping in $100 to donations, when users who aren't big multi-million dollar companies raised almost $7k. If they'd downplayed their contribution, that would have been cool, but they didn't...

Draconian Raider

26,775 Points
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I don't know... When you question if they could have done better, then yes, they could have gathered more through Gaia, but in the end most of the people who refused to donate via Gaia probably did it directly via the charity websites

They make it sound like their rounding up was a big deal, it would have been more of a big deal of they rounded it up to 10,000. I guess it's better than nothing, just would have like a bit more :c

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff