Welcome to Gaia! ::

Winged Abomination

22,500 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Hunter 50
Don't know why you have so many </3, this is pretty interesting.
As you said, yes a few are dead. I've been around on this site for nine years I can recall a few gaians have actually passed on. One went had his life ended by a car crash, one was murdered, and a few others by an illness or cancer.
Its unfortunate, but we don't live forever, unlike our accounts which can potentially become a reminder of the person. We don't know when we're going to parish. And if that happens, how will the friends find out, especially if they are the only ones out of their clique that actively use Gaia.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
I have 10 accounts, so that user number is probably way off.

Tricky Cat

Arcarius Tesfa
Don't know why you have so many </3, this is pretty interesting.

>OP makes thread saying GCD lacks discussion
>People say "Why dont you make the discussion then, OP"
>He does
> </3

For Jonron's Compadre

Hopeless Trash

21,650 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
A few years back I happened upon an account wherein the owner died in like '04 and was actually hacked a few years later. It was kind of depressing.

As for insults and flamewars and whatnot, when I get into debates or come across a thread that has a different opinion from my own I always always reply in a reasonable and calm manner. I don't just run around telling others "Go kill yourself" because it's not a funny thing to joke about. If somebody disagrees with my post or replies to me in a rude manner I either don't acknowledge their post or I defend my stance using evidence of how I'm right and they're not. If it's something that're purely an opinion such as them liking an anime i disliked, I try to make a discussion out of our differing POV's (IE: "What made it so cute for you?" "What was it that made you like this?" "I didn't like this part, what did you think of it?" wink and I try to make it clear that my tone is not aggressive.

I don't know, I guess I'm not a very stand-offish user so i don't really find myself in situations where I'm actively picking on someone, although I'd feel pretty bad if I found out that they read my comments wrong and were hurt by them.

Handsome Man-Lover

I myself was sort of a dead account for about 3 years due to real life being a bish. (That also includes 4 mule accounts). Luckily I have resurrected! xp

It usually makes me sad when I come across profiles of people that haven't logged in for a long time.

Personally, I don't ever think it's 'good' per say to insult anyone.
But even my patience has a limit and if soemone is being a complete a** to me, I'll eventually reach the point where I fire back. But my general tactic would be to simply ignore the offender. I'm a pacifist gonk I'm also very aware, no matter which online community I'm in, that there is another person behind the pixels; I feel kind of shocked sometimes at what some users are capable of throwing around in terms of insults and assumptions.

Invisible Player

Lapine Lequesne
I'unno man. If I'm to be mean to people, it's usually because they portray themselves as out of the norm, easy to taunt, or able to handle it.

Out of the Norm:
Quote:
1. OMG I'm like 32, and I want my kid2 go on gaia just liek me, I saev items 4 him and I even got account naem 4 him! He's not even born yet!
2. OHAYO! Im Kawaii princess sakudayaramu I am white outside, but I have japan ancestry! My dad gaev me windchime so i remember heritage-desu! nihao, I lurve yaoi and I em bi, but I only liek boys rite now!
3. I love everyone! You are so cute! Teehee, flowers and petals!

Teasing people like this just comes naturally; they're not normal, and their abnormality sticks out like a sore thumb. It almost pains me to see people behaving like they're twelve, or speaking like they're way out of their... body, I guess. It's just annoying and peevey.

Easy To Taunt:
Quote:
See previous 3 examples
1. Baby due in xxx days signatures.
2. Ive been dating xxxx days signatures.
3. Ermg im so emo signatures/avatars/post styles
4. Post History: U DONT LIKE MY ART? OMG I CRY! >No sarcasm at all

These people are fun to tease because they hand you the cards of which to tease them with? Like, thanks for dressing like a rich-guy in a slummy neighborhood, it's not asking to get mugged or anything. It's also a feeling of "Uhh hello, I have an opinion, and I'm sorry it offends you, but ******** you?"

Able to Handle it:
Quote:
1. Lulu that writing lady.
2. Yeata Zi
3. Black Tea or whatever his name is. The avatar guy with cluttered colors or whatever.
4. Dat chick who always makes the item threads, but is really a guy
5. Dat Pnyuu

This is just fun teasing because they either take the joke, roll with it or they flip it back on to you. In the end, no feelings are hurt, jokes get said, or banter is made. Not everyone needs to be witty back, but most of the people in the example just dont give much of a ********.
whats wrong with a baby due date signiture?

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

Eh, I've been a raging a*****e and insulted others, I'll own up to that. However, I'd like to think I've made a semblance of improvement in maturity levels since high school, but idk.

There was this one Army guy I had made friends with way back when the ED was getting slightly cesspool and hadn't reached roid stupidity yet (yeah, that long ago). He was being deployed to Afghanistan and I always wondered what happened to him because he was such a cool guy. It's been years since he logged on and I hope that he ended up being okay.

Tricky Cat

A Redhead Angel
Lapine Lequesne
I'unno man. If I'm to be mean to people, it's usually because they portray themselves as out of the norm, easy to taunt, or able to handle it.

Out of the Norm:
Quote:
1. OMG I'm like 32, and I want my kid2 go on gaia just liek me, I saev items 4 him and I even got account naem 4 him! He's not even born yet!
2. OHAYO! Im Kawaii princess sakudayaramu I am white outside, but I have japan ancestry! My dad gaev me windchime so i remember heritage-desu! nihao, I lurve yaoi and I em bi, but I only liek boys rite now!
3. I love everyone! You are so cute! Teehee, flowers and petals!

Teasing people like this just comes naturally; they're not normal, and their abnormality sticks out like a sore thumb. It almost pains me to see people behaving like they're twelve, or speaking like they're way out of their... body, I guess. It's just annoying and peevey.

Easy To Taunt:
Quote:
See previous 3 examples
1. Baby due in xxx days signatures.
2. Ive been dating xxxx days signatures.
3. Ermg im so emo signatures/avatars/post styles
4. Post History: U DONT LIKE MY ART? OMG I CRY! >No sarcasm at all

These people are fun to tease because they hand you the cards of which to tease them with? Like, thanks for dressing like a rich-guy in a slummy neighborhood, it's not asking to get mugged or anything. It's also a feeling of "Uhh hello, I have an opinion, and I'm sorry it offends you, but ******** you?"

Able to Handle it:
Quote:
1. Lulu that writing lady.
2. Yeata Zi
3. Black Tea or whatever his name is. The avatar guy with cluttered colors or whatever.
4. Dat chick who always makes the item threads, but is really a guy
5. Dat Pnyuu

This is just fun teasing because they either take the joke, roll with it or they flip it back on to you. In the end, no feelings are hurt, jokes get said, or banter is made. Not everyone needs to be witty back, but most of the people in the example just dont give much of a ********.
whats wrong with a baby due date signiture?

It just seems like an odd thing to broadcast, in my opinion.
It's akin to "xxx gold/xxxgold" or "Birthday in 5 days!" it seems seeking.

edit: Plus pregnant peeples are always on the fritz.

Tricky Cat

Slick Southpaw
Eh, I've been a raging a*****e and insulted others, I'll own up to that. However, I'd like to think I've made a semblance of improvement in maturity levels since high school, but idk.

There was this one Army guy I had made friends with way back when the ED was getting slightly cesspool and hadn't reached roid stupidity yet (yeah, that long ago). He was being deployed to Afghanistan and I always wondered what happened to him because he was such a cool guy. It's been years since he logged on and I hope that he ended up being okay.

Dont know if now's the time to jokingly say "he died"

Chances are, he made it home and forgot about gaia; life and returning to normality kinda a big rush of "o s**t, I value this"

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

Lapine Lequesne
Slick Southpaw

Chances are, he made it home and forgot about gaia; life and returning to normality kinda a big rush of "o s**t, I value this"
I'm hoping that it's the latter instead of the former, heh.

Tricky Cat

Slick Southpaw
Lapine Lequesne
Slick Southpaw

I'm hoping that it's the latter instead of the former, heh.

Worst case scenario, he's still out there.
It's decent money, depending where you are.

Shade

The best way to deal with inflammatory people is to either toughen up and deal with it, or simply know when to duck out and just avoid confrontation altogether.

This is a universal concept many do not seem to grasp unfortunately.

As for dead users, I thankfully have never known anyone on here who has vanished and never to be seen again due to something happening to them in reality. While it is a troubling and undoubtedly disturbing concept, it's an unfortunate reality on its own. You will meet people in life (especially on the internet) that will one day just expire without you knowing. It's a terrible notion, but a notion nonetheless that I personally think should not be dwelled upon much. All it will do is instill melancholy and malaise.

larrystew's Partner In Crime

Comrade

yeah there are accounts where the owner died, though I didn't know any of them (or didn't know them well). it's sad to think about, since some of them seemed like really cool people I would have liked to have known more about ): I don't like arguing, so unless it's something that really gets me riled up I don't respond lol. and I don't like calling people names and telling people to go die is the worst.
however, I don't think someone online should be held responsible if the person they insulted commits suicide. it's not an insult that would make someone suicidal, it's a lot of things that are going on in their life. and I wouldn't say people are jerks without provocation, they are doing it for a reason, whether they are just feeling really awful irl or they get a thrill of just talking down to someone. people do it offline too. it doesn't excuse them but that's just what they do. can't change them -_-;

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Really, it is nobody's business anyway if an account is active or not and/or if person is not Gaia anymore for whatever reason.

Stop worrying about it and about what other people are doing! It's not your life. It's theirs!

Admirer

25,800 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
    The internet is the internet. People will kill themselves over anything. Just be courteous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff