Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
the_true_iori
Yeata Zi
In general, if someone is a d**k to me, I will be a d**k back.

I'm very old world about that s**t.

Eye for an eye and what have you.
So rather than ignore someone who might just be trying to aggravate you, you respond in kind? Do you think that this may be a fault on your part (but perhaps a minor one to the point that there is no point correcting it) or do you believe that leaving the whole world blind is an okay thing to do from a moral or societal standpoint?

EDIT: that was needlessly complicated. To simplify the question: Do you believe that what you are doing is the 'right' thing to do? Do you think that the majority of people should act the way you do?

I ignore them as well. But I can't help but throw a jab in first. It's a weakness.

And usually folks aren't terribly rude to me, so I only rarely have to put on my b***h face.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
the_true_iori
Yeata Zi
Because they're not. <3

It's like treating a venomous snake like a bunny rabbit.

You just don't do it.

In general, I just ignore phishers.
Incorrect. Phishers are human beings just like you or I. That's like saying that criminals don't deserve basic rights just because they are criminals. Treating people like human beings is generally one of the easiest ways to avoid an escalating conflict.

The reason why we don't treat criminals with basic rights is because they lost those rights because they did something horrible. Same goes with people trying to scam you. They contact you with the intent to hurt you. I agree that they are people too, but sometimes you can't treat everyone the same because their actions have proven that they take advantage of that and try to harm you.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
the_true_iori
Yeata Zi
Because they're not. <3

It's like treating a venomous snake like a bunny rabbit.

You just don't do it.

In general, I just ignore phishers.
Incorrect. Phishers are human beings just like you or I. That's like saying that criminals don't deserve basic rights just because they are criminals. Treating people like human beings is generally one of the easiest ways to avoid an escalating conflict.
Not really, though.

Because what is the phisher going to do to get into conflict with me? Nothing. I report his a**. His account gets banned.

Done.

Prisoners in fact don't have a lot of rights. They can't vote. They can't work in certain environments. They lose the right to possess firearms. They cannot serve on a jury. They cannot hold public office. They can't travel abroad.

Is the person behind the account a human being? Sure. Do I care? Not at all.

Tricky Cat

I'unno man. If I'm to be mean to people, it's usually because they portray themselves as out of the norm, easy to taunt, or able to handle it.

Out of the Norm:
Quote:
1. OMG I'm like 32, and I want my kid2 go on gaia just liek me, I saev items 4 him and I even got account naem 4 him! He's not even born yet!
2. OHAYO! Im Kawaii princess sakudayaramu I am white outside, but I have japan ancestry! My dad gaev me windchime so i remember heritage-desu! nihao, I lurve yaoi and I em bi, but I only liek boys rite now!
3. I love everyone! You are so cute! Teehee, flowers and petals!

Teasing people like this just comes naturally; they're not normal, and their abnormality sticks out like a sore thumb. It almost pains me to see people behaving like they're twelve, or speaking like they're way out of their... body, I guess. It's just annoying and peevey.

Easy To Taunt:
Quote:
See previous 3 examples
1. Baby due in xxx days signatures.
2. Ive been dating xxxx days signatures.
3. Ermg im so emo signatures/avatars/post styles
4. Post History: U DONT LIKE MY ART? OMG I CRY! >No sarcasm at all

These people are fun to tease because they hand you the cards of which to tease them with? Like, thanks for dressing like a rich-guy in a slummy neighborhood, it's not asking to get mugged or anything. It's also a feeling of "Uhh hello, I have an opinion, and I'm sorry it offends you, but ******** you?"

Able to Handle it:
Quote:
1. Lulu that writing lady.
2. Yeata Zi
3. Black Tea or whatever his name is. The avatar guy with cluttered colors or whatever.
4. Dat chick who always makes the item threads, but is really a guy
5. Dat Pnyuu

This is just fun teasing because they either take the joke, roll with it or they flip it back on to you. In the end, no feelings are hurt, jokes get said, or banter is made. Not everyone needs to be witty back, but most of the people in the example just dont give much of a ********.

Feline Bookworm

It certainly is kinda morbid but I love thinking about stuff like this. There's even a chance someone we've spoken to in our travels on Gaia is dead right now, which is weird to think about.

When it comes to the Life Issues subforum or any other situation where someone seems to be in a vulnerable state you really need to base it all off of a case by case basis. I've certainly noticed a few threads here or there in the LI forum that, to me, gave the impression that the person was merely posting to gain sympathy from people to the point that those would be the only responses they replied to. I don't think we should tread on eggshells around people, but sometimes caution is probably wise, as you can never know the true mental state of someone, especially through a computer screen.

People are definitely desensitized these days. It's the whole anonymous side of things that help foster that and cause dispute where there doesn't always need to be.

Tricky Cat

Literatic
I've certainly noticed a few threads here or there in the LI forum that, to me, gave the impression that the person was merely posting to gain sympathy

Those sorts of behaviors are just insecurities looking for opinions to back theirs up, like a yes-man.
Those sorts of people deserve getting called out, in my opinion, and being set straight- lest they make stupid decisions based on "All these people said I was right"

Kawaii Shounen

27,440 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Lapin Patrol Mimosa: Victory! 50
  • Magical Girl 50
I, for one, am a zombie. so.

MY ACCOUNT SHALL LIVE FOREVER

Feline Bookworm

Lapine Lequesne
Literatic
I've certainly noticed a few threads here or there in the LI forum that, to me, gave the impression that the person was merely posting to gain sympathy

Those sorts of behaviors are just insecurities looking for opinions to back theirs up, like a yes-man.
Those sorts of people deserve getting called out, in my opinion, and being set straight- lest they make stupid decisions based on "All these people said I was right"

Oh absolutely. I posted in one recently where the person was basically looking for support against their ex-boyfriend and there were pages upon pages of people agreeing and a**-kissing and it was just like, what? Even without getting into the details of what it was about and how clearly one-sided the whole thing was, is there any need for pages and pages of it? They didn't respond to any posters who disagreed/called them on it. I was surprised more people didn't.

Time-traveling Senshi

the_true_iori
What some people consider 'playfully taunting' may be considered insulting by others. You bring up the life issues forum and mention that you believe that in that particular forum you should be extra cautious. However you claim that the only people who should be 'playfully ribbed' are those that you know well and interact with on a daily basis. If I may pose a question to you: "Should strangers in the life issues forum be treated more delicately than strangers in the GCD or Gaming Discussion or any other forum?".

As an aside, if a Gaian killed themself because of something that another user said Gaia would NOT be liable from a legal perspective. It would also be quite unlikely that they would even see any bad press.

If you don't know them then you really shouldn't be yanking their chain and poking fun at them no matter what the forum. And on that same vein even if you know a person very well if they're posting in a forum where a lot of sensitive real world related issues are being discussed you don't joke around with them. There's a time to be fun and goofy and joke around and there's a time to be serious and careful about what it is you're saying. If you're, say, in a thread dedicated to a particular NPC or the current running event or a hangout guild then joking around and playful ribbing is perfectly fine because it's not going to be an extra serious thread. However, when the tone of the thread or post is serious then you shouldn't be joking around no matter who it is. Case in point, if a good friend of mine on here posts that they're dealing with some pretty serious family issues then I'll back off on the joking and playful poking and give them time to deal with what's going on in their life.

Honestly, you don't know if Gaia would be held accountable by authorities or not. Gaia was nearly sued almost six years ago because a mother claimed her young teenage daughter was traumatized over the loss of her account because the daughter, on advice of the mother herself, gave away her password to person posing as an admin with Gaia. The mother threatened to sue Gaia because she said they allowed her daughter's account to be taken from her and did nothing to get it back in a quick fashion. She went so far as to bring her situation to a local newspaper, which in turn sparked a twenty-five plus page thread here in the GCD. And it's because of that incident that we have the huge red warning pages as we leave Gaia for other sites and the Number Two Pencil. So you never know just what a family member will do in response to something that happens to their child/spouse/sibling because of things said to them on Gaia.

Dapper Dabbler

I thought about it once in a while every now and then, but it wasn't until my sister died this past December that I gave it more than a few passing thoughts. After all, she was an at least semi-active member of Gaia. I started to think about her accounts and how her items, many of which I had given her, were just sitting there rotting away, and it just rubbed me the wrong way. Like her accounts and the items both of us had worked so hard to get were ripe for the picking of whoever managed to happen upon them.

I try not to insult people to "kill urself lol" degrees so much anymore, but if someone is being a d**k to me, I'm going to give it right back, because grinch grinch grinch.

Ice-Cold Knight

12,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
poopyboobies
Breaking news, humans die!

neutral

I think we've known that for awhile.

and then... zombies emotion_zombie

Magic Hobo

Interesting topic!

... I've actually known a few people here on Gaia, in passing, who are now dead. They were pretty cool, too, and well-loved. If you're ever in a need of a punch in your feelings go read a dead user's profile comments.

As to the other half of this topic...I give people s**t. I won't compromise on that- me failing to give people s**t is being dishonest and completely fake. I have to be nice to enough shitheads in real life that I don't have the time or the generosity to extend it to the internet. And- you know- what gets me about this philosophy that you have to be nice to people is that no, actually, I don't- I don't know you from Adam, I have no obligation to be kind to my fellow man, doubly so if said fellow man has a ridiculous opinion or is a terrible person.

I do my best not to flame- that is, personally insulting someone. But your ideas are not you. Your ideas are free game, and if your ideas are bad and you are promoting and posting your ideas, I'mma make fun of them. For some reason this makes people really butthurt, idk. But that's another thing, I can't control what causes someone else to get buttmad, and I won't censor myself 'just in case'. Censorship stifles the growth of ideas.

Questionable Phantom

Well I can't really respond to this. This isn't one of those repeated topics, I've seen around. This really took me off guard and surprised me. But I said I don't really have a opinion because when I see inactive account my mind has only 'gone there'once or twice. Now it will more often.

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
I try to remember that in the back of those avatars are people and even when I first started I thought of the fact that some users will die while I am on this site and that that was interesting.Their items are still there and their friends are left hanging.

I always try and make sure when I am posting that I know why I am I posting this. Making sure I am not posting it because it makes me mad that they don't agree with me and taking it way to personally.
I also try and said when posting that what I am just stating what I think and other people have that that right too.
Forums have a lot of people in them and I don't want to make their day worse by being mean even if they deserve it. Doing something insulting to other people does not make things better and I don't want to make things worse. What would it accomplish but make people angry? Of course if it is a good reason to I might confront them on it. But if it's something as me taking their opposing ideas personally I think that that is useless and makes things worse. I try not to make things worse when there's nothing in it for me. (It's not even that satifying)

On a forum things like being mad at someone because they have insulted you personally isn't really a problem for me because it is on a forum. A large one. Who cares and just never respond. Ah even if they have a legitimate point I might do this, I'm way too comfortable.

Sweet Glitch

Very interesting topic! smile

To be honest, never thought about the fact that some people might die and more being so young, but of course had always in mind that that could be a possibility.
As well, and generally, the possibility that these have been just a try out account, a mule or simply people has a life...

Now, few years ago, did know about an unpopular case, where a member pretended to be deadly sick, just to get donations and all of a sudden was discovered that she/he was lying.
Due that case, I think that people tries to not give that much importance to the abandon of certain account and more, when they are complete strangers.
But calls my attention the lack of tolerance there is for the difference of opinions and somewhat makes me think, that even though some of the users are not unique children, in the moment of be by themselves virtually, makes them experiment the emperor syndrome that as well can be seen an immature behaviour.

Personally, do think that people that tries to convince others by insulting (having or not the momentary syndrome) knows that their idea is weak and feel weak as well...And the best thing to do is to walk away and keep moving forward without ruining your day.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff