Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wait til the new series starts.... emotion_awesome

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Lady Aurora Borealis

the pure idiocy of the show, the lack of intelligence, its like watching monkeys scratching their butts and sniffing their fingers.

I feel that way about Spongebob. And that's been on for almost 14 years. I still sit and scratch my head wondering how that managed to last for 14 years I mean I got my first work permit when it first aired!

But to each his own.

Mewling Inquisitor

10,700 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
OP is lipservice for her favorite fandom. As for me, I pick the Doctor Who and Street Fighter. wink

Heroic Humorist

17,725 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Signature Look 250
Lady Bern
I freely admit that I enjoy Adventure Time those whole concept that it's the world after a war and all of the people you see are something like mutants makes me laugh at the uniqueness.

I liked it better when it was called Fallout. Incidentally, Ron Perlman is in both of them.

Bashful Cultist

I don't understand why you would want another fandom event when this one seemed to bother you so much.

All the major fandoms have huge following, including annoying fans and mild fans.

Any fandom event will probably get crazy, and I'd love to see more.

Manly Lunatic

I get tired of bishis being overused.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
Yilanti Midnight
dreamsk
Where does this insanity come from?? Is the tv telling young girls to obsess over fictional characters and degrade the characters?? Is the level of estrogen in milk so high that it's causing issues in the female brain??

Guys can be just as guilty. The My Little Pony: FIM fanbase is a perfect example. It's not a single gender thing.

These kind of fans are quite annoying but sadly unavoidable. They cross the borders of enjoyment and become obsessed.
That's true too. emotion_facepalm But somehow I still think more girls than guys fall under this category. Or maybe they're not as vocal about it.

I'd like a show that pits these people against each other. lol Or pokes fun at them.

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
Yuutousei
*shrugs*

Other than Sherlock, the only times Gaia ever had items that directly referenced my fandoms was Tiger & Bunny and even that was rather small.

I'm still tired of the whole superlit/litbreak/whatever on the RP boards if that counts.

That was a sponsor so it doesn't count right?

Durem Phantom

10,600 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
I like Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock xD He's funny
To be honest, rabid fandoms irritate the hell out of me. They're embarrassing and annoying, regardless of the actual quality of the show/comic/etc. Current examples that spring to mind are Homestuck, My Little Pony, and yes, Sherlock (but I only really notice this last one on Gaia, thanks to Reapersun). I personally enjoy Homestuck, but there are so many fans that take their obsession to loud and obnoxious heights. So this is really an issue with the fans themselves and not what they worship.

The nature of Gaia means that constant game/show/book references are a given. It's just an expected and fun part of the site. However, this Sherlock stuff is becoming over the top (the first example that pops up in my mind is NSFW, something that should have logically been an Anurla item, aka something original and Gaia-specific, not someone's wank over their favorite fandom). It's gotten to the point where it seems less like a simple nod to a popular show and more like a fangirl constantly squeeing somewhere in the background.

There is definitely a line between appropriate homages and cramming one's fandom down everyone's throat, and that line is being toed. And to those who say that they enjoy it so people who don't should just shut up and ignore it, not everything should cater primarily to any single fandom. This is Gaia Online, not Sherlock Online. classified_mcsourface

Doutei's Wife

Yeata Zi
Do you ever get tired of seeing something over and over and over again on Gaia?

Yes. Anything that's EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK is annoying. Over exposure drains the thrill. That's what happened to me and Gangnam Style. I'm living in South Korea right now and holy s**t.... At the school talent show I teach at... like... 4 or 5 classes all did the Gangnam style dance. And the students were always singing it. and just... GUH!! yes, its a fun song but PLEASE CAN WE SING SOMETHING ELSE!? T AT

The fandom of Hetalia scares me. SO. FREAKING.MUCH. I avoid it like the plague.
but fandoms in general scare me, to be honest.
All the frothing at the mouth, the screaming and flailing, the leaping for the kill if you dare voice an opinion against the norm.

And don't get me started on OTP wars. Dear lord. have you ever seen a CloudxTifa versus CloudxAerith shipping war. [ / shudders ] It's frightening. people lose friendships over it.

Can you say, "STUPID" ? :/

Anyway, my theory is: Love the show, Hate the fandom. :3

Doutei's Wife

Hidarite
To be honest, rabid fandoms irritate the hell out of me. They're embarrassing and annoying, regardless of the actual quality of the show/comic/etc. Current examples that spring to mind are Homestuck, My Little Pony, and yes, Sherlock (but I only really notice this last one on Gaia, thanks to Reapersun). I personally enjoy Homestuck, but there are so many fans that take their obsession to loud and obnoxious heights. So this is really an issue with the fans themselves and not what they worship.

I have to agree with you here.
Rabid Fandoms are terrible. They're also scary. ;w;
I find myself trying to separate from fandoms because of the more extreme fans.

If I'm going to spazz, I have specific people that I will spazz to. I'll do it in private to others who are in the fandom with me. I'm not going to just go out in the open and be all "LOOK AT ME WORLD I'M HAVING A FANGIRL MOMENT" that's just a sure way to make people hate you. :/

I have this theory, It's fine to be a crazed fangirl, or to have an author insert character, or be a mary sue. But, these things are only ok in PRIVATE. It's not ok to bring such things into the public view. 'cus then your going to get into trouble.

What do you think of my theory?

Interesting Guildswoman

7,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
i dont know if this is the best place to post this sense every one seems to hate shirlock here but i was wondering how to get the item that comes with the give away thing going on? i have no clue what to do and all the admin i askd said was check the gaia camunaty discussion> im verry lost here. and a bit stupid.

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Wing Commander Minna
Lady Bern
I freely admit that I enjoy Adventure Time those whole concept that it's the world after a war and all of the people you see are something like mutants makes me laugh at the uniqueness.

I liked it better when it was called Fallout. Incidentally, Ron Perlman is in both of them.

Actually I liked AT better when it was called Wizards.

Oh yeah I took it that far back with something that obscure!

Tipsy Exhibitionist

17,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Eh. I like Sherlock (original book series as well as Jeremy Brett and new BBC) so it wasn't really an issue for me. In my experience there's crazy fans and crazy shipping with just about any fandom- best you can do is try and avoid the places they congregate. Unfortunately....a lot of them congregate on the internet, so you're kind of out of luck.

Still, other fandoms getting events would be nice too- maybe someone can suggest some to the admins?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff