Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Knight

This has probably been suggest in some form, but I haven't noticed any threads discussing specifically this.

Yes, people hate inflation because everything is expensive, but I find inflation annoying because dealing with hundreds of billions of gold is cumbersome. Why use 100 pennies (or cents, if you want to throw all coins together) when a dollar is much more convenient?

Do you think splitting gold into two, three, or four different denominations would be a welcomed changed?
Something like bronze, silver, gold, and mythrill. 100 bronze = 1 silver; 100 silver = 1 gold; 100 gold = 1 mythrill. (Three currencies, possibly at 1000 = 1 might be easier?)

A change like this is superficial and would not serve as an inflation curb. It would be purely for convenience and could be optional. If a user didn't like dealing with denominations, prices could be shown as gold only: whether or not I pay 100 gold or 1 myth wouldn't matter since they'd be the exact same thing.

gaia_spoons Do you like the idea of denominations?
gaia_spoons If so, how would you like the denominations be divided?
gaia_spoons What sort of detriments could a change like this cause?

13,550 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Hero 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Don't we already have Mythrill Coins/people selling stuff for GC in the Exchange?

Celestial Dreamer

61,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Having a ton of currency types would be confusing in trades, but I'd support the idea of being able to use mythrill coins in marketplace/gold shop transactions, and using standardized abbreviation with numbers in the marketplace (it's ridiculous that a graph with a range up to 100B reads as 0000000000 along the side. What worth is that to me when I can't infer from the ABP?)
But yes, if they did implement some additional currency, it'd need to be user friendly to prevent unfortunate confusion.

Valiant Jackling

That would get confusing fast, I'm afraid.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
Many games these days do that, and it would be a good idea for Gaia if it weren't for the fact that the current gold system has been in place for so many years. Changing it now would throw everything into disarray, and for short term benefit. Even if they implement the idea you propose, they'd just inflate that currency all to hell with more currency generators. Then we'd be right back here again.

Deathly Protagonist

50,365 Points
  • Charging Power 75
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • ReAnimated 50
I believe if done right..like new items priced with theses denominations..hint hint~
Annnnyway, if done right it could catch on..~
That sounds too confusing and like too much of a hassle. sweatdrop I'm not saying it couldn't work, because who knows, maybe we'll get something like that in the future, but I much prefer the simplicity of only one type of currency.

Questionable Warlord

Wouldn't that encourage people to hoard and inflate more?
    I mean, if you see for e.g. 50,000,000,000 next to your name then you would probably feel more content than seeing 5 mythril coins, or whatever you want to use for 1 trillion.

Tipsy Knight

Nova0437
Don't we already have Mythrill Coins/people selling stuff for GC in the Exchange?

I considered putting mythrill coins into my topic, but since we have so many different types of mythrill coins, and they serve as items, the concept is different.

GC is an entirely different monster that has no set gold equivalent.

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Prehaps they should do what all inflated currencys do (like the turkish lira), condense the 000s. Drop 3 to 5 0s from gold value. So if you had 100,000,000,000 it would now be 100,00,000. And anyone who had less in thier pocket would just what ever they had rounded up to the nearest who currency. so if the only had 10,000, with 5 zeros droped they would still have one gold XD.

(lira example)

1966 – 1 U.S. dollar = 9 Turkish lira
1980 – 1 U.S. dollar = 90 Turkish lira
1988 – 1 U.S. dollar = 1,300 Turkish lira
1995 – 1 U.S. dollar = 45,000 Turkish lira
2001 – 1 U.S. dollar = 1,650,000 Turkish lira
The Guinness Book of Records ranked the Turkish lira as the world's least-valuable currency in 1995 and 1996, and again from 1999 to 2004.

2005 – 1 U.S. dollar = 1.29 new Turkish lira (The use of New Turkish lira, which drops 6 zeros from the currency Turkish lira, was implemented in 2005)
2010 – 1 U.S. dollar = 1.55 Turkish lira
2012 – 1 U.S. dollar = 1.80 Turkish lira (average)
2014 – 1 U.S. dollar = 2.09 Turkish lira (average

Tipsy Knight

Adnama Lavode
Many games these days do that, and it would be a good idea for Gaia if it weren't for the fact that the current gold system has been in place for so many years. Changing it now would throw everything into disarray, and for short term benefit. Even if they implement the idea you propose, they'd just inflate that currency all to hell with more currency generators. Then we'd be right back here again.

Right, the concept used in many MMOS is pretty much what I'm going for here.

True, the continuous release of gold generators would bring this same issue to the new currencies; however, we're already getting that continuous release without the change. The problem of huge numbers will exist in either form, but with denominations, the numbers would be much smaller.

Wild Bookworm

I'd love to see the end of all those zeros, they're a nuisance, but I think it could be complicated and messy to do at this point. Maybe if they just used the letters, like 1.45 B or 255.45 K. Still kinda awkward. Any change now would take a lot of getting used to.
What's going to happen when we get to quadrillions? rofl

Tipsy Knight

Erailea
That would get confusing fast, I'm afraid.

Do you get confused when dealing with denominations in real life? Aside from change being scary, it's an incredibly simple concept.

Tipsy Knight

Dark_Lady_Jade
That sounds too confusing and like too much of a hassle. sweatdrop I'm not saying it couldn't work, because who knows, maybe we'll get something like that in the future, but I much prefer the simplicity of only one type of currency.

I also much prefer the simplicity from dealing with only one type of currency. The problem is that our one type of currency is no longer simple because we're dealing with hundreds of billions and trillions now.

Sparkling Transmutator

Way too complicated and unnecessary.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas