Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
Lapin Lequesne
Adamen
Report spam threads biggrin Teach people the lesson that even though there's something going on, it doesn't give them the go button to post spam in forum with topic guidelines. This is another one of those report reaping times for all of you who want to become mods biggrin

The only thing about these 'events' that bothers me are the spam threads. That's pretty much it.

Non-event or event spam, I report spam (seen as: two topics of the same. exact. discussion.)
Never gets dealt with.

Ancedotal thread with question slapped on?
Report!
Dealt with?

Never
Does it generate discussion?

It doesn't get moved.

Such is the curse of reporting spam that generates talk. Would YOU remove conversation even if the OP was "discuss this and that, kthxbai"?
few things I hate more than making a fandom a pariah
not only is it completely overblowing such a petty situation
but it shows that kind of pompously immature allegiance that casts a worse shadow than squawking 13 year old fans

I mean yeah, it's great to have things you're really into
but it's a little stupid to have little to no other standards
I mean even when I was a hopeless weeaboo I at least had some quality control/a personality beyond my fandom
"omg _____ reference!! autoreblog/buy/whathaveyou" just seems like such a desperate and pessimistic attitude
like "oh I better get this now because there'll never be another chance for me to express my part in this fandom again EVER"
or worse yet "because I'll never be the bigger fan without it"
lighten the ******** up.
look at yourself.
and realize you don't need to be a hyperactive part of something to enjoy something.

...yeah fandoms make me sad.

Beloved Perfectionist

*claps* exactly. people need to stop being such punks and appreciate what they get.

dont make me pull the whole "back in my day" thread. lol

ps. your avi is beyond amazing...

Rare

I'll be honest. I don't like Sherlock. I don't like it not because it's a bad show (I've never actually seen it) but by how obnoxious and fetishizing fans can be on various occasions.

That said, if there was a Sherlock minievent which had stayed in one thread (i.e. that 500+ page one) I wouldn't had really cared. But by hour 20 when half of the GCD was filled with people's "theories" and "hints" about a puzzle in a forum not designated as the "Sherlock Minievent Puzzle Forum", I had to get miffed. I was not present for the Ferris event, so I assume I would have a similar stance about 20 threads of repeated info about plot bullshit.

Then I got even more miffed when my opinion of disliking this event got rejected because I was "ruining someone else's fun" and I could have "just ignored it." I'm sorry but when someone is bothered by something, you do not dismiss them as a party pooper. ug
Sir Black Tea
I'll be honest. I don't like Sherlock. I don't like it not because it's a bad show (I've never actually seen it) but by how obnoxious and fetishizing fans can be on various occasions.

That said, if there was a Sherlock minievent which had stayed in one thread (i.e. that 500+ page one) I wouldn't had really cared. But by hour 20 when half of the GCD was filled with people's "theories" and "hints" about a puzzle in a forum not designated as the "Sherlock Minievent Puzzle Forum", I had to get miffed. I was not present for the Ferris event, so I assume I would have a similar stance about 20 threads of repeated info about plot bullshit.

Then I got even more miffed when my opinion of disliking this event got rejected because I was "ruining someone else's fun" and I could have "just ignored it." I'm sorry but when someone is bothered by something, you do not dismiss them as a party pooper. ug
This idea might hold more merit if it had affected forums other than the Gaia Community Discussion forum. This forum is created for exactly this sort of thing.

It's not like there was no where else you could go, there are tons of forums and sub-forums, you could have gone to any of them.

I don't see how you can complain about a forum relevant to discussing community events on gaia, being flooded by threads relevant to a community event on gaia.

Rare

Her Excellency
Sir Black Tea

This idea might hold more merit if it had affected forums other than the Gaia Community Discussion forum. This forum is created for exactly this sort of thing.

It's not like there was no where else you could go, there are tons of forums and sub-forums, you could have gone to any of them.

I don't see how you can complain about a forum relevant to discussing community events on gaia, being flooded by threads relevant to a community event on gaia.

No, this forum is not created as a hub to solely solve a puzzle. This is a forum to describe the Gaia community, and I am tired of the devs telling people to "go to the GCD" whenever there isn't an event forum. I don't go to any other forums, and there aren't any other forums to discuss Gaia alone.

There is also a flaw in your last sentence: I was bothered by the flood itself, not the subject matter. I didn't care about the event in the first place, what use are twenty threads that have copypasta'd and repeated information as to not get lost in a multihundred page thread?

I'm done with people trying to change my opinion. I did not like this event, and I have every right to complain about it. I don't care how much anyone else liked it, it bothered me.

Dapper Flip-Flopper

Exactly *nods*

it is what it is, if there wasn't an event people would complain anyway though just being honest here razz

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

13,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jack-pot 100
Have we had a Pi day item before? Because that would be beautiful. (3.14....March 14th. Still could happen, I guess)

Intergalactic Recruit

We always get a ridiculous amount of X item and not another. The thing you gotta realize is that s**t like this happens for two reasons:

1. Artist preferences - it isn't unknown that most of our artists are girls who... unfortunately, all seem to be into the same stuff which means we keep getting over saturated with the same type of item. In the case of Fandoms, again, we get what the artists are into because even if Reapersun is into Star Wars, she obviously isn't into it as much as Sherlock... which probably has more to do with yaoi than anything.

2. Based on what will do well here on Gaia. While we might get over saturated with a particular item, it's also because we lap it up. Or more specifically, the kind of people who enjoy it are the majority on this site.

So when we start getting the kind of people who like Science Fiction, both artists and user base alike, then we can finally have some ******** variety.

Tricky Cat

Penn Almasy
Lapin Lequesne
Adamen
Report spam threads biggrin Teach people the lesson that even though there's something going on, it doesn't give them the go button to post spam in forum with topic guidelines. This is another one of those report reaping times for all of you who want to become mods biggrin

The only thing about these 'events' that bothers me are the spam threads. That's pretty much it.

Non-event or event spam, I report spam (seen as: two topics of the same. exact. discussion.)
Never gets dealt with.

Ancedotal thread with question slapped on?
Report!
Dealt with?

Never
Does it generate discussion?

It doesn't get moved.

Such is the curse of reporting spam that generates talk. Would YOU remove conversation even if the OP was "discuss this and that, kthxbai"?

If there's another thead with the same discussion?
yep.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
I'm not even in the Sherlock fandom, and I enjoy the items.

This is just a fun pseudo-holiday that people have. Sherlock is a major work of literature that has touched all forms of entertainment and have lasted for a century and it deserves to be celebrated in this way.

We had items for Tolkien Day, too. Was anyone complaining then?

I'm in the Homestuck fandom too, but I won't be dissapointed if we don't get anything nice on April 13th (4/13 is when Homestuck began, making 413 its arc number. Celebrating Homestuck right now would make a lot of sense because it's ending this year.). I think it's good that all these old works get the spotlight, in fandom terms, the fans of HS and other works have been around for only a day compared to them.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Doctor Who first aired November 23, 1963, so we still have 9 months until the actual anniversary date.

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
Lapin Lequesne
If there's another thread with the same discussion?
yep.
And suddenly there's complaints of mods abusing their power and removing legit discussion! That's not going to look very good on your record.

Tricky Cat

Penn Almasy
Lapin Lequesne
yep.
And suddenly there's complaints of mods abusing their power and removing legit discussion! That's not going to look very good on your record.

Ban all the complainers.

No seriously: Make rules clear. Send PM warnings.

If only you could lock a thread and leave a link to redirect users to the doppleganger thread.

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
Lapin Lequesne
Penn Almasy
Lapin Lequesne
yep.

Ban all the complainers.

No seriously: Make rules clear. Send PM warnings.

If only you could lock a thread and leave a link to redirect users to the doppleganger thread.
That would be nice.

But even two similar-looking threads can lead in different directions depending on who posts in those threads. The problem is when people hop onto one thread and then another and just leave the same answers. confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff