Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Pirate

This thread is so tender, like a babby's tush.

Do you need powder? Are you going to break into a rash. Shhh babby only dreams now~
Yeah um I've had ppl be rude to me before on the internet but its not a requirement to be polite I guess. There are trolls that do it just to make you upset and then there are people who actually feel that way & want to say in a not so nice manner. If you post on the internet though you have to be able to take it in stride or else you should just get off.

Just my 2 c
wink

Rainbow Tycoon

33,625 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Tycoon 200
Eh If I was hurt by insults of people on the internet where would I be?
If they are out to be negative I deal with it. You have to ask yourself what am I getting hurt about? Someone I will never meet? Just having someone not agreeing with you? Is this something I should care about?
Sometimes it's just me being mad because they disagreed with me and I took it as a personal attack. I don't want to lash out if that is the case.
What would lashing out accomplish? Would talking back be the right thing to do in the situation?
If it's something I should confront them on I guess I will though.

But I don't think Gaia wants to have some guys feelings hurt and leave the site. They don't want the site to be known as "One that just makes you deal with it." They want to be a nice site where people can communicate in peace.
I can't get mad at them for wanting to be a more peaceful community.

Magnetic Phantom

Existential Existence
Anjoulie
Is it the candles one? (I forget its name.) It gives me terrible lag too. I even made a thread about it in tech support that didn't get any reply. ^^

It's the purple one with the moon at the back. you should open up a page with someone who has one animated and see how your computer/laptop fares XD
Yeah, that one wasn't so great either. sad Which is sad because I like it more than the candles one.

Buggy Mage

I never thought Gaia had a rampand bullying or teasing problem honestly. I don't assume it doesn't happen at all anywhere but I really feel like it's made to seem worse than it is in most cases. In short, I don't think people should be forced to get along, they should do it because thats how they want their community to flow.

Sweet Glitch

Is a good topic, most tell.
Though, I do not think that rules have become strict, is just that people have believe and interpret that it does covers all the kind of little problematic issues mentioned and that these people will get punished easily, but they forget that there are mods with clear reasoning. If we talk about Gaia, everything is made by economical purpose, you do not want potential customers to go away, loyal customers to stop putting real life money, just because they do not feel protected, right?

Is just like real life business, you take care of customer, they invest on you and recommend you.
wink and that my dear, is how money get inside the pocket, easily.

But now, this drives me to think, that internet is another extension of human being, you do not get justice or quick protection in real life, you will get it on internet,the deletion or ignorance of people can be taken as in real life. therefore people make much more drama.

Then, we should take also into count that the 65% of internet inhabitants are depress, with health issues, which makes more difficult the interpretation of the lines.
Not taking into count that for some strange reason, now the words are like a punch in the face in psychological terms.

In my personal experience, never have experimented such huge deals, in fact Gaia has been the most clear place, I have ever visit and stayed in.

Fashionable Gaian

I know exactly how you feel.

Yesterday, a friend got accused of being an art stealer, when she wasn't.
Although there were a s**t load of people coming in to back her up and provide evidence,
that one person was still being an a**, yet no mod had to come in and give her a warning.

Yet, when I go into someone's art shop and tell them their s**t is overpriced, BAM,
******** mod warning the next day. rolleyes

People are so butthurt these days, and barely do I see justice happen.

Tipsy Pirate

Piggyback-Chan
an art stealer
You mean a thief. emotion_omnomnom

Noble Inquisitor

Sir Black Tea
I think it's the weird culture of youth today. I've been mean to a lot of people, and nowadays people literally tell me, "You are not allowed to say that/be mean to me," usually when I'm just blunt with a harsh opinion or truth. Maybe they interpreted all of those anti-bullying afterschool specials as "PEOPLE CAN NEVER BE MEAN TO YOU EVER" and not "Ignore/report/stand up for yourself when someone is unnecessarily mean."

Throughout my time on the internet I learned that there were mean people (The GD/CB, and maybe on a larger scale 4chan or Encyclopedia Dramatica) and not to deal or bother with them, not condemn them forever.

I totally agree with this

Fashionable Gaian

Warwood
Piggyback-Chan
an art stealer

Yeah that, sorry. burning_eyes

Tipsy Pirate

Piggyback-Chan
Warwood
Piggyback-Chan
an art stealer

Yeah that, sorry. burning_eyes
Dont be sorry

Codebreaking Shapeshifter

nosonia
laws are getting stricter on sites and also liability
when we were young and the internet wasn't such a huge part of people's lives there wasn't much of internet bullying so much as cybering and silly text-based issues

however a lot of today's youth are killing themselves or struggling with depression over bullying
the internet is the scapegoat of modern times
sexism? blatantly used in such and such game or on such and such website because of insert stupid reason
people everywhere use the internet as a means of communication
we go to it because it is safe, since if we take precautions most people never find out who we really are

but websites can often come to blame for our actions instead
promoting bullying by not stopping it is a big liability issue
if anyone were to endanger themselves or others after being negatively spoken to on this site, gaia would face a lot of liability charges

they are taking precautions for themselves
whereas a misplaced thread, etc, are not a big deal because how much harm can it really do
in it's youth, gaia made rules based on what would make it a good, active, inviting website
now it makes rules based on what keeps it financially safe
...[agrees with this post] To everyone: I agree when i started on gaia or the internet in general the virutal world of the internet had a different tone or setting to it, and now as the general populace of well almost everywhere stepped in so did the people we deal with on a daily basis who poke and prod at us like cattle did too. In ways the world has changed the internet (and sometimes I do not think for the better) and in others it has changed us for the worse or the better (depending on your stance on this)

Sweetheart

18,425 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I take a slightly different approach to this. I don't think it's being thin skinned or "babyish" to put someone on ignore. If someone I didn't know, or barely knew was standing on my porch insulting me, I certainly wouldn't invite them in. So if I wouldn't invite them in through my front door, why would I invite them in through my screen?

That being said, I do think the world at large has become equal parts too sensitive and lacking in respect. It's not necessary to voice every opinion you have on everything if you know it's going to be hurtful. On the other hand, if someone does do that...you don't have to be offended by it.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the phrase "I was just being honest" as an excuse to simply be rude. Honesty is good, purposely hurting someone's feelings is not. You don't always have to voice your honesty.

The other thing that makes me crazy is being disrespectful to someone's opinion or beliefs that differ from your own. You don't have to agree with it, but you should respect their right to it.

People have become very mean. Like I said it's fine to disagree with an idea or an opinion, but that does not give you carte blanche to mock it.

I put some people in ignore earlier who I never even spoke to, because they were having a conversation in ZOMG using shout that was incredibly disrespectful to something I believe in. Now was I hurt by it? No. But I chose not to listen to it either. Life is too short for rude people, and the constitution of the United States guarantees us the right to pursue happiness. Deep down I think most of us want to be happy. Putting up with someone who is being crass or tactless doesn't make most of us happy. Perhaps if those types of people are put on ignore often enough they will get the message eventually.

On a side note, I have also noticed two curious things about what people read on the internet. Those are that for some inexplicable reason people tend to interpret what they read in the worst possible meaning as a default. And the other is that they take what they read personally.

For instance, if I were to post something on my status that I was mad at a friend, half my friend list would PM me to ask what they did wrong. They would automatically think I meant them. I find that very puzzling that people think that way on the internet and not as much in real life. But then perhaps the problem is that everyone has varying degrees of how "real" the consider the internet? They forget that behind every screen is a real person, who has a full range of emotions and things going on in their lives behind those screens.

Sparkly Shounen

15,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I've always thought it was because most of Gaia is populated by Americans. sweatdrop

It's sort of always been a bit of a joke in the UK that Americans are more into getting therapy and can't take disagreement or anyone not pandering to their wants/needs.

Since everyone got the internet it has kind of spread over here and other places too. Instead of everyone mostly rubbing along together, now there are two distinct camps: "I CAN SAY WHATEVS I WANT OR I'LL RAPE UR DOG!" and "MY FEELS OVERWHELMING, GONNA TELL!"
Actually, it's not changed that much...there were always those kids when I was at school XD

Legit horrible campaigns of hate go on against some poor kids and it's terrible. However, sometimes, I do think some people need to develop a thicker skin. People are going to say things you disagree with in life and it's part of developing social skills to learn to be around people who rub you the wrong way.
Pinque Von Fluffendorken

One of my biggest pet peeves is the phrase "I was just being honest" as an excuse to simply be rude. Honesty is good, purposely hurting someone's feelings is not. You don't always have to voice your honesty.

The other thing that makes me crazy is being disrespectful to someone's opinion or beliefs that differ from your own. You don't have to agree with it, but you should respect their right to it.

People have become very mean. Like I said it's fine to disagree with an idea or an opinion, but that does not give you carte blanche to mock it.

First of all let me say I LOVE YOU.

Anyway,
I agree about most of what you wrote..

I especially hate it when someone is bitchy in a thread right before you get in, then you walk perfectly calm into it and voice your opinion without any insult or being rude at all, then they just talk to you like a jackass. I've rarely ever had that happen but the couple of times it did, it was unbelievable. The last person ended up blocking me, and telling me twice they were going to like I was a child. All I told them was to stop talking to me rude like they were, then they insisted I was derailing them. I don't put up with anyone talking to me like that. I don't give a crap if other people came into their thread and bitched, that shouldn't mean everyone who came there had to face the same wrath.
Then of course there is those people who rarely post into forums and when they do, all they do is complain. and God forbid if you have a different opinion than them. however since I don't go to different forums alot, iv'e only seen that in SF. not sure if any of that happens anywhere else onsite..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff