Welcome to Gaia! ::

Durem Phantom

10,600 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
its still the same way if I, myself had a problem and cannot deal it online, I let them go and not deal with them. Otherwise, your emotion will take over and makes things worst.

Life lesson in gaiaonline

Tricky Cat

Warwood
Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lazarus Larkin
Being a d**k to other people shouldn't be allowed. Harassing people in person is ILLEGAL. Why the hell do people think it's okay to harass people on the internet?

Ugh. Just hate this argument that it somehow doesn't count just because it's online.
Ur av looks like crap

*police swarm the thread ww is jailed for harassment butthoel grows three sizes that day*

I bet he hasnt responded because he ignored you.
M-my feelings are h-hurt

pls dont s-say this

Maybe you should go to bed. Doesn't middle school start early? wink

No my kindergarden class doesnt start until 12:00pm or so i go to the afternoon classes because the school is ill-funded

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57569287-71/politician-moves-to-make-vulgar-photoshopping-illegal/

Here we go.

Shade

Lapin Lequesne
Azavezel
I just want to bring up that using 4chan as an example of "hate" is flawed and honestly is of ignorance.

99% of the time 4chan's humor is "schadenfreude", in that they laugh at misfortune. However, 9 times out of 10, it's just joking around. They don't take certain things seriously. Those who /do/ are either assholes, who are to be found everywhere, or baiters meant to get people hot and bothered to derail the thread into "hilarity".

It's a culture that's completely different from bullying.

Back on topic, I'd say this issue stems from communication errors. Someone interprets it one way, another another, and conflicts arise. In fact, in a few threads in this very forum right now, there are arguments stemming exactly because one person is interpreting another person under the wrong voice and both are acting on it rather than the issue at hand.

Unfortunately context is difficult to understand often times on the internet.

A lot of user's judgement on 4chan is strictly limited to /b/. I haven't been to all of the subchans yet, but of the ones I do frequent, I can say whatever judgement people have on 4chan is either out-dated, misinformed or from word-of mouth.
The differences between cgl and f are crazy. x is a great place for "never go back 2 sleeps" and po is great to watch some awesome origami/papercraftan.

My favorite is /diy/ and /d/.

/co/ and /tg/ are also fantastic places to go, though /v/ at times tends to come in and mess with /co/ under the guise of "HURR FEMINISIM/TUMBLR" and all stuff like that should be ignored. In fact, you can! You can hide threads and individual posts.

Really it makes me shake my head how everyone assumes 4chan is this hotpot of hate and loathing when in truth the hate and loathing is a complete joke. The one thing that is a constant is that people will say "DO IT f*****t" and "COMMIT AN HERO/KILL YOURSELF" if you happen to go on there and talk about that kind of thing. Because no one takes each other seriously there. People insult and berate each other because it's funny to them. Don't like that kind of dark humor? Don't go. Simple as that.

People tend to forget 4chan's reported cases of abuse (spousal AND animal), alongside cases of reported rape and murder; hell, they managed to help the FBI catch a serial killer. That actually happened.

However, still yet on the topic of insulting, really, I'd suggest people who can't take it to thicken their skin. You are not going to survive in this world if you do not toughen yourself. Period. Coddle your feelings and emotions all you like, but when it comes to the grinder and you've pissed off the wrong people and they go ape on you, you are expected by both society and by the norm to accept it with grace and accept the criticisms that follow, no matter how harsh.

To reject that and say "I'll run away from it all" is really childish. I'm not saying go to places where people insult you, nor am I saying to start fights or fight back. In fact, fighting back usually (Unless it's physical) a very bad idea, because aggression begets more aggression, and your ugly side will reveal itself. Venom envenoms, people.
imo i think its a bad thing to put up all of these rules and work so hard to "protect" people from negativity in whatever form

it makes it so that people become very weak when dealing with conflict of any kind.

its healthy to exercise your body and your mind, your ability to resolve conflicts is something you need to exercise as well, and a lot of people almost never use it in the first place, so it doesnt even get the chance to even mature and develop

maybe thats why there are so many whiny people

Shy Phantom

I think it really depends on the circumstance. People should suck it up a lot more but at the same time you should know to have the decency not to take it to far.

Lavish Lunatic

I think it's more of a general problem of the internet. Over the last few years we (or our parents) have been getting more and more aware of the problems of using internet. Because of this 'awareness' a lot of people start to overreact.
And of course, since this is the environment the young ones grow up in, they decide that everyone who doesn't agree with them = against them = troll/hacker/whatevs = reported.

It reminds me of the 'someone done me wrong, I'll just sue everyone involved' kind of culture that's going recently.
I mean, seriously, elementary schools that have to give out forms that they're not responsible for injury during school trips, just to cover themselves from possible lawsuits?
People, kids get injured while playing. It happens.

sweatdrop

It's probably going to get worse for a few years and then we'll get another counter movement.

Shadowy Shapeshifter

14,650 Points
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
America is full of vaginas now a days 3nodding

Shy Gaian

I've always been soft skinned, even in school while growing up. I get my feelings hurt easily, but I've never been the one to go tell a teacher; or in Gaia's case go screaming "TROLL" and trying to get that user banned, or whatever else people try to do in that case.
I might get my feelings hurt, but I'm not going to ignore someone or go cry about it.

You just gotta suck it up and move on. You can't sit there and take every damn comment to heart. If you can't deal with the internet, then how the hell are you going to manage real life?

Tipsy Pirate

Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lapin Lequesne

I bet he hasnt responded because he ignored you.
M-my feelings are h-hurt

pls dont s-say this

Maybe you should go to bed. Doesn't middle school start early? wink

No my kindergarden class doesnt start until 12:00pm or so i go to the afternoon classes because the school is ill-funded

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57569287-71/politician-moves-to-make-vulgar-photoshopping-illegal/

Here we go.
Oh boy what a jackpot

Mega Bit

I consider myself to be a sensitive person, in a general sense. I do agree that people should be free to express their thoughts on whatever they feel, but there is also such a thing as a classy way to express it. I like graceful debate, when people to admit factual errors, don't resort to mudslinging / expletives and so forth. High probability that I'm too idealistic.
The nice thing about gaia or internet in general is that if someone is being legitimately rude / mean, then just don't respond to their post/ comment. Why give some jerk face the attention they want? I find it much more effective than filling up my ignore list (actually it's completely empty) or picking a fight.
It's a lot harder irl to just wave away rudeness when it's right in front of you x_x.

Dangerous Visionary

I think people are finally understanding that words often DO in fact hurt and what's funny offline, in your culture, or just you yourself isn't funny to other people. Words have a lot of power and its high time we as a global community start to understand that. As that's part of the issue as well EVERYONE is on the internet and EVERYONE is different thus people view and see things differently. So just take care of what you say and try to fully comprehend the words you use and how you use them.

Its easy to put the blame on others and say that they are easily offended or sensitive while ignoring our own use of language and words. Instead of spell check I wish we had idk a content check. Those are my thoughts on this issue.

Magnetic Phantom

Existential Existence
Lulu the Mainspring Lady
Existential Existence

just today i really wanted to put someone on my ignore list because every time their avatar loaded on a forum page it made my laptop heat up, and ignore listing would hide their avatar. LOL. instead i just opted to disable forum animations. but i reallllly wanted to put them on ignore - simply because a specific animated item they used was giving me lag. xd

Not mine, is it?
... thought I should check, since I do kick a** and flit wings. > n>

nah animated wings are fine. it's just 1 specific Animated background item that gives me lag. fortunately not a lot of people use it much, probably because it also gives them lag. lol
Is it the candles one? (I forget its name.) It gives me terrible lag too. I even made a thread about it in tech support that didn't get any reply. ^^

On topic:
I generally try to be as nice as possible because that's the way I would like to be treated by others too. I also don't enjoy negativity.

I recently found out I am being ignored by someone I don't recall ever having talked to.
It made me sad and confused. (I don't use annoying signatures or post formats and I am generally not mean to anyone.)

Oh, and a while ago I was unnecessarily kicked from a thread for (politely) disagreeing with the OP.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Anjoulie
Is it the candles one? (I forget its name.) It gives me terrible lag too. I even made a thread about it in tech support that didn't get any reply. ^^

It's the purple one with the moon at the back. you should open up a page with someone who has one animated and see how your computer/laptop fares XD

Inuyasha's Fangirl

Rainbow Goddess

31,215 Points
  • Let There Be Color 500
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Market Browser 100
I feel like it's the opposite. When threads are misplaced, they get moved fairly quickly. In terms of vulgarity and hurting feelings, that seems to happen much more than it should.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff