Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shade

I just want to bring up that using 4chan as an example of "hate" is flawed and honestly is of ignorance.

99% of the time 4chan's humor is "schadenfreude", in that they laugh at misfortune. However, 9 times out of 10, it's just joking around. They don't take certain things seriously. Those who /do/ are either assholes, who are to be found everywhere, or baiters meant to get people hot and bothered to derail the thread into "hilarity".

It's a culture that's completely different from bullying.

Back on topic, I'd say this issue stems from communication errors. Someone interprets it one way, another another, and conflicts arise. In fact, in a few threads in this very forum right now, there are arguments stemming exactly because one person is interpreting another person under the wrong voice and both are acting on it rather than the issue at hand.

Unfortunately context is difficult to understand often times on the internet.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Being a d**k to other people shouldn't be allowed. Harassing people in person is ILLEGAL. Why the hell do people think it's okay to harass people on the internet?

Ugh. Just hate this argument that it somehow doesn't count just because it's online.

Tipsy Pirate

Considering that the majority of the people on this site grew up on it, at least in this section (that is ye olde poopstain GCD), the fact that rules are becoming stricter can be interpreted as the "mods" or "admins" reminding the crazed 20-something, and even 40 something if you count our Watership Down fans, fiends that its still a site for wee babbies.

That said it doesnt stop people from doing what they want especially if you just realize you can talk your way around the bs rules if you have a large enough vocabulary to vaguely scoot by on some petty issue row row row fight the power ******** eating vegetables no i will not wear pants

Tipsy Pirate

Lazarus Larkin
Being a d**k to other people shouldn't be allowed. Harassing people in person is ILLEGAL. Why the hell do people think it's okay to harass people on the internet?

Ugh. Just hate this argument that it somehow doesn't count just because it's online.
Ur av looks like crap

*police swarm the thread ww is jailed for harassment butthoel grows three sizes that day*

Tricky Cat

Azavezel
I just want to bring up that using 4chan as an example of "hate" is flawed and honestly is of ignorance.

99% of the time 4chan's humor is "schadenfreude", in that they laugh at misfortune. However, 9 times out of 10, it's just joking around. They don't take certain things seriously. Those who /do/ are either assholes, who are to be found everywhere, or baiters meant to get people hot and bothered to derail the thread into "hilarity".

It's a culture that's completely different from bullying.

Back on topic, I'd say this issue stems from communication errors. Someone interprets it one way, another another, and conflicts arise. In fact, in a few threads in this very forum right now, there are arguments stemming exactly because one person is interpreting another person under the wrong voice and both are acting on it rather than the issue at hand.

Unfortunately context is difficult to understand often times on the internet.

A lot of user's judgement on 4chan is strictly limited to /b/. I haven't been to all of the subchans yet, but of the ones I do frequent, I can say whatever judgement people have on 4chan is either out-dated, misinformed or from word-of mouth.
The differences between cgl and f are crazy. x is a great place for "never go back 2 sleeps" and po is great to watch some awesome origami/papercraftan.

My favorite is /diy/ and /d/.

Tricky Cat

Warwood
Lazarus Larkin

Ur av looks like crap

*police swarm the thread ww is jailed for harassment butthoel grows three sizes that day*

I bet he hasnt responded because he ignored you.

Tipsy Pirate

Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lazarus Larkin

Ur av looks like crap

M-my feelings are h-hurt

pls dont s-say this

Tricky Cat

Warwood
Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lazarus Larkin

Ur av looks like crap

M-my feelings are h-hurt

pls dont s-say this

Maybe you should go to bed. Doesn't middle school start early? wink

Tipsy Pirate

Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lapin Lequesne
Warwood
Lazarus Larkin

Ur av looks like crap

M-my feelings are h-hurt

pls dont s-say this

Maybe you should go to bed. Doesn't middle school start early? wink

No my kindergarden class doesnt start until 12:00pm or so i go to the afternoon classes because the school is ill-funded

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

The people who respond with "I hate 'suck it up, it's online' excuses!" make me wonder if they actually read the first post or not.

Tricky Cat

castigat ridendo mores
        The people who respond with "I hate 'suck it up, it's online' excuses!" make me wonder if they actually read the first post or not.

It's because there's no spoons and the food needs to be cooked first.
Eaiser to eat, eaiser to respond!

That aside, it does feel like one of those repeat topics, and it is similar.

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

Lapin Lequesne
It's because there's no spoons and the food needs to be cooked first.
Eaiser to eat, eaiser to respond!

That aside, it does feel like one of those repeat topics, and it is similar.
        I'm not one to care if it's a repeat. I just find it increasingly frustrating (I would say disappointing, but it didn't seem to carry the same facepalm magnitude) that people completely miss the point of the thread and think it's advocating bullying because we're obviously assholes. I mean, I know I am one, but come on. Get a clue, people.
        /has been reported for flaming probably

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

I really like this saying - "If you want something to be misinterpreted, post it on the internet"

A lot of people are being thin skinned.
There's a few people I see in SF going "Don't be rude to me!" back at someone, when really, the person they respond to (to me) is just being blunt and honest.
It all comes down to the person, really, and how they read something.
When you read something, you read it in a certain tone in your head, which can change the entire way you interpret it.

I do believe on the internet, if someone is actually being rude to you, then you ignore it.
Unfortunately, the whole "It's the internet" thing is true.
People do hide behind the fact they can say/do whatever they want, without much repercussion.

Fluffy Sweetheart

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, of course! Not everyone will get along...but that's a pretty known thing. But if it's for no good reason, that's more than not okay.

As an example, earlier today I was in Towns today and I went to a certain block, which followed a good sized group of people calling my friends and I 'whores', 'sluts' and other terrible things and demanding us to leave the block because it was theirs! Its was terrible and we didn't do anything to start such a thing.

We would have deserved it if we DID start anything, but... ugh.

Cheery Scrooge

13,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sir Black Tea
Throughout my time on the internet I learned that there were mean people (The GD/CB, and maybe on a larger scale 4chan or Encyclopedia Dramatica) and not to deal or bother with them, not condemn them forever.

Just wanted to point out...I think a lot of the "mean" people from each of the places you mentioned are merely joking, and there isn't an intent to actually cause offense to someone.
Of course, there are always going to be a few people who actually are just super-jerks to others for no reason. But most of the stuff that you listed is more in good humor, I think.
~King Awesome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces