Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mewling Kitten

So in an act of desperation [fueled by a former quest], I made a thread asking for a donation in the CB. I often see people making giveaways so I figured that was the forum for it. I said I would pay whoever donates to me back, and most of the few replies I got were doubt-filled. They didn't believe I would pay them back! So it made me wonder if it was common for people to ask for gold and then disappear. It sure would be an easy thing to do.

So my question to you is, have you ever been scammed by someone in Gaia? Perhaps from a similar situation?

In a relationship with my viola

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
when I was young and innocent, I clicked a link to an external site from a PM and entered my password
yeah, that was bad
even after I got everything back, I couldn't use the marketplace for around a year wwwwwww

Mewling Kitten

Bratsche
when I was young and innocent, I clicked a link to an external site from a PM and entered my password
yeah, that was bad
even after I got everything back, I couldn't use the marketplace for around a year wwwwwww
Omg haha I totally fell for something like that. It was this thing that would pop out when you were on a thread. It would log you out, and then when you signed back in, it gave the hacker your info.

I lost an angelic headband that day emo It was my most expensive item.

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
Darlingchann
Bratsche
yeah, that was bad
Omg haha I totally fell for something like that. It was this thing that would pop out when you were on a thread. It would log you out, and then when you signed back in, it gave the hacker your info.

yes, exactly that!
it's funny because it was obviously a scam didn't know how I fell for that
aw, sorry sad

Mewling Kitten

Bratsche
Darlingchann
Bratsche
yeah, that was bad

yes, exactly that!
it's funny because it was obviously a scam didn't know how I fell for that
aw, sorry sad
I think younger members, newer ones are more likely to fall for things like that. Mainly cause they don't bother to read the rules of the site, or to read the notes saying that admins will never ask for your password.

I guess things like that make you skeptical of trusting anyone on the site sweatdrop

Greedy Capitalist

12,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Champion 300
Darlingchann

yes, definitely. kids are innocent and think they're smart beyond their years, so it checks out.

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The CB isn't the best place to fish for donations. I'd suggest heading over to http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/charity-quests/f.28/

Someone did scam me when I was younger through marketplace manipulation... Not like they got anything good out of me.

Fuzzy Shapeshifter

Isn't it normal to be skeptical? Isn't it the norm to not trust strangers or people you barely know?
They don't know what you're really like, they have no proof but your word you'll give it back, I'd be doubtful too to be honest.

I once had an old friend from over 2 years ago say they'd pay me back my 300k and I haven't gotten an ounce of it still. I suppose that's what I get for being over-generous to people I talked to very little. emotion_donotwant

I've had experience of donating and then being asked for more e_ e;;, of course I should have guessed that would happen, what with the way they talked and interacted with people.

Mewling Kitten

Soreiyu
The CB isn't the best place to fish for donations. I'd suggest heading over to http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/charity-quests/f.28/

Someone did scam me when I was younger through marketplace manipulation... Not like they got anything good out of me.
A couple of people bought some of my higher priced items from the Marketplace, and I like to think that my thread might have had something to do with it xD

I would prefer it if people bought from my store after all, so then I don't feel the stress of being in debt 3nodding

Shameless Streaker

Darlingchann
So it made me wonder if it was common for people to ask for gold and then disappear. It sure would be an easy thing to do.

Long story short: Yes

Long story long:
Threads that are suspicious in the cb:
1. "Donate please I will pay you back" <--- Odds are you will never see your money again, and CBers know that, so they'd rather just donate to people who are frequently there and seem polite. Which is why people get anon gifts everyday and new anon titles are always popping up.
2. "I just joined Gaia and want donations" <--- Usually more suspicious if the person is only a few days old and doesn't have many other post besides that. What would actually make a newbie immediately go to the CB for donations? Usually a long term gaian who's gone broke and made a mule. This is known because in the past, these people would get donations and never log in again and still have all the starter clothes on.
3. "I'm a CB regular user, who was banned/hacked help by donating " <--- Only suspicious if they don't put their old username, or a username no one recognizes
4. "Im questing X item to donate to my friend" <--- Suspicious if the person doesn't include their friend's username. We kinda figure out you want the item for yourself but want to seem generous so more people will give.
5. "Im questing X amount of gold for a giveaway" <--- Usually just confusing as hell because we would just do our own giveaways if we had that much on us that we were willing to give away.

People are very shady on gaia and will do anything to get donations, so the trust has faded. Don't get me wrong the cb is a GREAT place to get donations. There's so many giveaways, and if you become a frequent user there and are a very likable person, people will just randomly gift you small donations or even anon large gifts. I have friends who have been anon gifted great items like: Counterfeit Bride, In silence I kill(back when it was hella unobtainable), the "sea" items and other great gifts. I've been anon gifted quite a few lovely gifts. You're just better off not directly asking; cb doesn't like most people who seem desperate and thirsty.

Mewling Kitten

Lagoccino

Isn't it normal to be skeptical? Isn't it the norm to not trust strangers or people you barely know?
They don't know what you're really like, they have no proof but your word you'll give it back, I'd be doubtful too to be honest.

I once had an old friend from over 2 years ago say they'd pay me back my 300k and I haven't gotten an ounce of it still. I suppose that's what I get for being over-generous to people I talked to very little. emotion_donotwant

I've had experience of donating and then being asked for more e_ e;;, of course I should have guessed that would happen, what with the way they talked and interacted with people.
I guess my general thought was that, there are so many people in the Chatterbox that give away items and gold for free, so I thought maybe they wouldn't mind the risk of trusting someone to give back.

And that suckss. Back when I played on zOMG with friends, we would often trade passwords and items and do all sorts of things to each other's avis as a surprise when they'd log in the next day. blaugh I guess it just depends on who the person is. 3nodding

Mewling Kitten

The Moonlight Densetsu

Long story short: Yes

Long story long:
Threads that are suspicious in the cb:
1. "Donate please I will pay you back" <--- Odds are you will never see your money again, and CBers know that, so they'd rather just donate to people who are frequently there and seem polite. Which is why people get anon gifts everyday and new anon titles are always popping up.
2. "I just joined Gaia and want donations" <--- Usually more suspicious if the person is only a few days old and doesn't have many other post besides that. What would actually make a newbie immediately go to the CB for donations? Usually a long term gaian who's gone broke and made a mule. This is known because in the past, these people would get donations and never log in again and still have all the starter clothes on.
3. "I'm a CB regular user, who was banned/hacked help by donating " <--- Only suspicious if they don't put their old username, or a username no one recognizes
4. "Im questing X item to donate to my friend" <--- Suspicious if the person doesn't include their friend's username. We kinda figure out you want the item for yourself but want to seem generous so more people will give.
5. "Im questing X amount of gold for a giveaway" <--- Usually just confusing as hell because we would just do our own giveaways if we had that much on us that we were willing to give away.

People are very shady on gaia and will do anything to get donations, so the trust has faded. Don't get me wrong the cb is a GREAT place to get donations. There's so many giveaways, and if you become a frequent user there and are a very likable person, people will just randomly gift you small donations or even anon large gifts. I have friends who have been anon gifted great items like: Counterfeit Bride, In silence I kill(back when it was hella unobtainable), the "sea" items and other great gifts. I've been anon gifted quite a few lovely gifts. You're just better off not directly asking; cb doesn't like most people who seem desperate and thirsty.

That's understandable. I've never asked for donations before, and I would still feel uncomfortable accepting a donation, which is why I offered to pay back~ I had been questing Counterfeit Bride before, which was going to require a very long time of vending, but then they came out with Counterfeit Love and I actually prefer that version. I just wanted to grab one before the sales end and they inflate like everything else does. I'm very close now just need to sell a few more items 4laugh

Shameless Streaker

Darlingchann

That's understandable. I've never asked for donations before, and I would still feel uncomfortable accepting a donation, which is why I offered to pay back~ I had been questing Counterfeit Bride before, which was going to require a very long time of vending, but then they came out with Counterfeit Love and I actually prefer that version. I just wanted to grab one before the sales end and they inflate like everything else does. I'm very close now just need to sell a few more items 4laugh

I wish you good luck. 3nodding
It's a very nice item and the legs or arms would look very nice on your avi 3nodding

Yeah and I know the feeling; it feels a little off just asking for free stuff. I'd probably offer to pay back aswell if I was asking and didn't know it's considered a fishy thing to do

minghii's Compadre

Sexy Bun

Does anyone remember the infamy of that user Cigarette anymore?

But yeah no, I never been scammed because I never give gold out to random beggars.
I did give a friend a loan once. 6 months later he still didn't pay me back.
(Don't worry, I got my gold back after a bit of a mafia-style shakedown.)

Lucky Hoarder

74,775 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Madam Ace
Does anyone remember the infamy of that user Cigarette anymore?

But yeah no, I never been scammed because I never give gold out to random beggars.
I did give a friend a loan once. 6 months later he still didn't pay me back.
(Don't worry, I got my gold back after a bit of a mafia-style shakedown.)
I do, the one that claimed to have brain cancer and got a ton of old MCs and gold and even admitted it. Yet she got away with it as far as I remember, there was even a newgrounds video about it were she got murdered in the end. xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff