Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Raider

So I came back a few days ago after a few years of absence, and of course I noticed this hyper inflation that is going on.
Instead of reiterating what many people have said about this subject. I want to know if it would be smarter to save up this vast amount of gold I have amassed, or invest in the more expense items for when/if the price jumps even more.

This also made me think of something else. Do you think Gaia will go through a depression like period where all the items that are being listed for 100 billion+ will be worthless because no one can afford, nor be willing to trade them away? I don't know if I'm explaining it right but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

Lashtal's Wife

Advanced Punk

22,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Hellraiser 500
I totally understand what you're saying.
I typically wait until an item I've been wanting deflates so hardcore, that I can buy multiples and then when they go back up; I keep a couple and sell the rest.

I wouldn't invest in anything for profit that I personally wouldn't want myself, in case it never goes up again..lol.

It can be a lose/lose or a win/win situation.

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

Not sure what holding on your gold would do. A lot of people did that and came back from being extremely wealthy to being completely poor.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

guns and wings
Not sure what holding on your gold would do. A lot of people did that and came back from being extremely wealthy to being completely poor.
depends on what you're purchasing

I've been turned down plenty of times because my offers for high end items such as tickets didn't contain enough pure and too many items for their liking.

BigHatt's Rival

Acidic Fox

52,025 Points
  • I'm A Potato 500
  • Tainted Angel 500
  • Double Orobouros 500
I'd say soon enough, maybe, maybe we'll see a slight depression.
An individual can only go through so many gold sinks/expensive purchases before they hit a wall. Even artists have time limits on their services that can be easily 'defeated' by the sheer quantity of CS items released in that time span.
At that point, users can turn to their wallets, but again...only for so long before they realize it's bad/ there's way too many items to keep up with.

I'm reaching the point where I am getting pickier and pickier about what I want to get ahold of, and I mostly play for keeps.

Meanwhile, the high rollers keep pushing the stakes higher- now things are early-listed near 40-100 billion, a number many of us don't have just lying around.

Eventually, one of these sides has to give, and only one of them particularly can. Unless you buy gold gens, you aren't gonna magically get billions more gold- and even then, you bought them, and your funds for pixels only go so far... Prices will reach an unreachable goal soon, and we'll have to be strong, and not buy ggs, and then the sellers will have to slowly cave.
There'll be an ugly clamor about there not being enough gold to go around, so to speak, but...it'll be a good thing, in the end.

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

Slick Southpaw
guns and wings

I've been turned down plenty of times because my offers for high end items such as tickets didn't contain enough pure and too many items for their liking.

Sorry, I'm talking about when people were consider to be wealthy before the mass inflation, a lot of people held onto their gold since they didn't think the gold value would drop so much.
I left for awhile, I had a lot of pure, enough to purchase items I liked whenever I wanted but when I returned, that gold couldn't buy me s**t.

But, I can see why people would want a mix of pure/items, some items are really hard to sell and really not worth taking in offers.

Dulcet Nymph

18,700 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Team Rina 200
I think we're dangerously close to a depression now. I haven't bought anything off my wishlist in a few months; not for lack of effort, but for lack of funds. The most I have on me at any given time is a few million, which buys you jack s**t these days, and I know I'm not the only one in this boat.

I hear things from even my artist and exchanger friends, and they say that THEY'RE struggling too. That's like... that's like the CEO of some ******** worldwide fast food chain saying that everything in the world is so expensive even they can't afford things. And that does NOT give me hope, let me tell you.

Devoted Heckler

Slick Southpaw
guns and wings

This. Basically.

Unless you're really actively trading/selling then even a stash of Halos can be a very risky hoard. People know where they are with pure, especially for high-end items.

Stellar Cat

I've sold off a few valuables just to be able to afford things. I lucked out with a few wishlist items that were being undersold. But I'm torn as to what I should buy now. It seems that every time I want something it's been hyper inflated. So I have to watch the market a lot.

And there were things for a million gold that I was holding out on last year that I should have gotten while I had the chance. sweatdrop

I really wish the inflation would break. It's only beneficial to the wealthiest Gaians who just keep passing the wealth between them because everyone else is under the poverty line. That sounds so much like real life it's scary. gonk

Devoted Heckler

Eurydice Evyn
I think we're dangerously close to a depression now. I haven't bought anything off my wishlist in a few months; not for lack of effort, but for lack of funds. The most I have on me at any given time is a few million, which buys you jack s**t these days, and I know I'm not the only one in this boat.

I hear things from even my artist and exchanger friends, and they say that THEY'RE struggling too. That's like... that's like the CEO of some ******** worldwide fast food chain saying that everything in the world is so expensive even they can't afford things. And that does NOT give me hope, let me tell you.

We're not anywhere close to a "depression", there has only been a huge dip in the past three weeks. It's a silly word, in general, to throw around in reguards to an economy like that of Gaia.
I predicted this exactly as it happened and sold a good many of my items. Prices and activity will rise again, just revel in the cheap items for the time being.

Celestial Dreamer

61,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Probably best to keep a balance of each, so you can recover and roll with either direction as needed

Dulcet Nymph

18,700 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Team Rina 200
Fanny Flaps
Eurydice Evyn

We're not anywhere close to a "depression", there has only been a huge dip in the past three weeks. It's a silly word, in general, to throw around in reguards to an economy like that of Gaia.
I predicted this exactly as it happened and sold a good many of my items. Prices and activity will rise again, just revel in the cheap items for the time being.

Well, it's a word the OP used, so I just kinda followed suit in the spirit of the thread. Of course we don't need pixels to survive (And if you do, I encourage therapy), but it's kind of hard not to take notice when everyone in your circle of friends says the same thing: "I can't buy jack s**t."

And I'll freely admit I have expensive tastes so telling me 'just be happy with cheaper items' is like telling me 'Don't want this pretty thing. It's really pretty, but don't. Stop right there.'

At least I freely admit I'm a greedy ********].

Devoted Heckler

Tiana Luscinia
I've sold off a few valuables just to be able to afford things. I lucked out with a few wishlist items that were being undersold. But I'm torn as to what I should buy now. It seems that every time I want something it's been hyper inflated. So I have to watch the market a lot.

And there were things for a million gold that I was holding out on last year that I should have gotten while I had the chance. sweatdrop

I really wish the inflation would break. It's only beneficial to the wealthiest Gaians who just keep passing the wealth between them because everyone else is under the poverty line. That sounds so much like real life it's scary. gonk

Except...no.

We all started out with more-or-less the same amount and the all opportunities to make gold are accessible to most people. The only people with an "unfair" advantage are those with alot of GC.
However, there are plenty of super rich users who have never spent a penny on the site and a good deal of those aren't oldbies either.
Inflation may be most beneficial to the richest Gaians but, overall, it works in the favour of anyone who learns to play the market. All you need is high market volatility and the willingness to take risks.
Stop going after items you want and start investing in things others will want. It will pay off in the long term and then you can buy your shinies and more.

Don't liken Gaia "poverty" to RL poverty because that's messed up and insulting.

Sparkly Wizard

10,725 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Novice Mage 100
Tiana Luscinia

This would be true if gold weren't so easy to make. That's the reason for the hyper inflation to begin with!

You might as well spend your gold on the items you like rather than trying to invest in items, because really after a certain point buying most items is an investment. There's an upper limit to how much gold you can have and buying/investing in items is the only way to break that limit.

I recently came back to Gaia and I am pretty happy to sell a few investments to get some items I liked. I feel like it is a lot easier to get expensive items now. I don't vend or make art and even I can get some pricey items with just a little effort.

In fact, I'm trying to regain access to an ancient account I've lost the information to because there's a pair of winged anklets on it that I can sell. burning_eyes

Devoted Heckler

Eurydice Evyn
Fanny Flaps
Eurydice Evyn

Well, it's a word the OP used, so I just kinda followed suit in the spirit of the thread. Of course we don't need pixels to survive (And if you do, I encourage therapy), but it's kind of hard not to take notice when everyone in your circle of friends says the same thing: "I can't buy jack s**t."

And I'll freely admit I have expensive tastes so telling me 'just be happy with cheaper items' is like telling me 'Don't want this pretty thing. It's really pretty, but don't. Stop right there.'

At least I freely admit I'm a greedy ********]

Nothing wrong with being a greedy ******** cool

By "cheap items" I didn't mean lower your sights but enjoy the ability to buy expensive items for less. So many things in the 60-80bil bracket have dropped to 30-40bil and there are some great items in that mix.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff