Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just spent £10 on an offer to get myself some gaia cash and I know I'm going to regret this at some point when I have no money left
    But it got me thinking about all the money I've spent on gaia in the past and how I've felt so compelled to use up my own earnings for virtual items
    I still don't fully understand what is so satisfying about these avatars
    Is it arrogance? Do I want to show off to everyone that I have a nice looking avatar with lots of expensive items? I don't know.
    The worst part is I usually lose interest in whatevee look I create within a couple of days then I'm spending 20-30 minutes in tek-tek, reaching for my wallet and we're back to square one.

Do you spend a lot of real money on gaia? Do you think it's worth it?
    When you've crafted your avatar, how long until you're itching for a new one?

Sparkly Fairy

I dont regret anything I've bought using gaia cash because as some point it was something i wanted to get.

Used to get the donation letters every month years ago before a few breaks, when they used to be much simpler. Now its only if i happen to like it. Or maybe some item I feel i need to have.

I change my look quite a bit. I'm lucky to get a week TOPS out of an av unless I havent been on.

Shadowy Gaian

14,375 Points
  • Bonfire Starter 500
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Generous 100
I usually spend around £5-£10 a month that equates to between 500-1500 GC which covers me for the new REI, MC or Bundle of some kind. I tend to make sure I am totally happy with what I will buy and when. That usually means i buy at the end of a month. This month i bought the REI Bundle (would love a Sante only bundle 4laugh ) and nothing else. I can't go on tektek so i don't worry about avatar cravings biggrin

Rare

I rarely spend money on Gaia and I feel a bit guilty when I do, but ya, in the long run I think it's worth it. For me, gold gets turned into items which get turned into avatars, which are a big artistic inspiration. I mean, I just made the most kickass drawing based on an avatar-- and part of me wonders if it would have ever existed without Gaia.

Also, if you spend time on this website, there are probably less permanent things you could spend money on (renting things, gambling, junk food, etc.)

Stellar Succubus

It took a while to hit my stride on here. A few years. I don't spend much money now but I've got things I could sell if something new came up that I could use.

It's different when you're starting out or haven't much.

Golden Saint

9,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
I don't think it's arrogance, I like to look a certain way so I buy things on occasion. I just like to dress up my little doll, it makes me smile.

Benevolent Cutesmasher

14,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
User Image
User Image

Personally I've spent more than I'd like to admit but I enjoy it as I've still earned said Gaia Cash and it keeps me occupied on a slow day xd

Supportive Cutesmasher

13,950 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
stimela

Do you spend a lot of real money on gaia? Do you think it's worth it?
When you've crafted your avatar, how long until you're itching for a new one?

stimela, I know I would spend real life money on gaia if it would be easier... I think since I love this website very much, It would be worth it.

I change my avatars pretty often. Change is good, but I treasured every look I have created with brilliant gaiaonline items wink

I think you may be suffering shopping addiction. xd Sometimes we have to think harder to understand if we need the virtual items. It's virtual anyway. But supporting Gaiaonline with spreading good words to other people OR donate money through using GaiaCash to buy Gaiaonline CashShop items are also great. If we have extra spare money, I do not see why not heart

Time-traveling Senshi

It's ritual for me to set aside a little bit for Gaia. Just as it's ritual for me to get one of each monthly collectable. I could be saving for something else but at the moment I really don't have anything big I want to save for. For me it's not about having the most items or the most expensive things. It's about having the items that help visualize the character I've created for this world. That's why I love dressing up my avatar. And as my friends can tell you, once I find a good look for my avatar I stick with it for a long while. They can also tell you how hard it is for me to be a person who changes their avatar daily. I did a twenty-five daily avatars challenge during December and while my particpants were able to easily come up with twenty-five awesome avatars I had days where I struggled with it. I may love using my avatar to visualize my character but I'm not so obsessed that I need to change her look every two days.

fxxkin demon

I've got auto cash which gives me enough to buy a RIG bundle and a MC every month. I think it's worth it. I get to support the site and get a few new items. Which is great since I change my avatar almost everyday. I need a big inventory to do that. smile

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
I've been on Gaia 9 years next month, and I've spent money almost every month since I joined--minus 2005 and 2006 when I disliked the MCs and the CS wasn't around yet cat_wink . I have long since lost track of how much $ I've spent during my time here.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of dressing up my avatar and playing with my items, so yes, I feel it's worth it. Unlike other things I could spend that money on, I still have them...even if they're not physical objects. I spend less on Gaia a month than some people drop to go see movies or eat outside of their home...yet we usually do not feel those are a waste of money. Just like movies, books, music, and going out to eat, Gaia is a form of entertainment. Part of the experience is dressing your avatar. For some, it's not important, for others it is.

How long I keep an avatar depends on my whims at the time. Sometimes I'll wear one for a good week or two, other times I can change twice in a day. I have all 2O available avatar slots in use on my dress up page, and I regularly revisit all of those looks. If we were offered more, I would easily fill those as well.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

Really, I don't see the difference between spending money here or saving up for the next Pokemon game to be released and purchasing that. Still gives me certain degree of satisfaction. <3

If I want more stimulation, I head elsewhere, yo. cool

Tipsy Pirate

Im inept enough to still login and make a post despite all the glimmer glammer and shimmer of the forums "new" appearance; its no longer the congealed leftovers from a half-baked session of ideas from a bunch of college kids, its matured into a massive bloated and hollow cash sucking cesspit, and quite frankly, it stinks. IT STINKS!!!

Stellar Succubus

Slick Southpaw
Really, I don't see the difference between spending money here or saving up for the next Pokemon game to be released and purchasing that. Still gives me certain degree of satisfaction. <3

If I want more stimulation, I head elsewhere, yo. cool

Problem is, I'd totally do both... pokemon and gaia pixels. And the new Animal Crossing game and... and... and...

wink

But seriously, I am still tempted to spend money on gaia... I splurged in November, $55. It was the only spend I've made since the November prior. I saved up and flew to England instead. And I'm saving up to go back there more permanently.

I don't have expendable income so much anymore, unfortunately.

Stellar Succubus

Warwood
Im inept enough to still login and make a post despite all the glimmer glammer and shimmer of the forums "new" appearance; its no longer the congealed leftovers from a half-baked session of ideas from a bunch of college kids, its matured into a massive bloated and hollow cash sucking cesspit, and quite frankly, it stinks. IT STINKS!!!

I dunno, if you had an idea you cooked up in your bedroom with a few friends, that turned out to offer the potential to set you up financially for life, would you take it?

Even if it meant selling out a little?

We don't get many opportunities in life. I definitely would. As I've grown, I've realised that there's the noble path which, in business, almost always leads to being respected and poor. Don't get me wrong, I lament the loss of something special too, but I also know, with my need for finances now, that if I was in the same position, I'd take it. :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff