Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,450 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Alexander Destriot
There's no quest that's near impossible to do on your own. And yes most people are just asking for gold, and not giving in return. You're more or less getting an item purely off of the genorosity of other people. The item isn't truly yours, it's also partly sone one else's.

Uhh, right. I'd like to see you get a Halo. They're up to what, 100 million gold now? And by the time you reach 1 million, they'll be 200 million. It's inflation.

People who donate don't want anything in return. I've helped out people who donated to my quests with theirs once mine was finished. The item is yours if you buy it. If people give you money, it's not their money anymore.

I won't deny it; most people asking for donations are just trying to get money without working. But there are people who work hard and see donations as rarities. Nice rarities, but rarities all the same.

8,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
I think it's also the community aspect. I think GIVING (thus receiving) donations is a vital part of the community. It makes you stop to think about the fact that Gaia has many other users with whom you have at least one thing in common.

I myself have NEVER received any type of donations towards the quests I have completed (besides the angelic pendant and slippers, I also got the Ninja HB, OMFG, golden laurels and winged anklets through saving up). That doesn't mean I wouldn't accept a donation, though.

I think quest-lists in particular are just a sign to the people who are willing to donate. It would kinda' defeat the purpose of donations if people started giving to the wealthy. confused

Conservative Poster

6,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
But why do you think inflation has gotten as bad as it has? Because people just want to make an easy buck for their own item they're questing for. True it's also about supply and demand, but most people just want the extra money for more expensive items.
But inflation isn't the point. I just want to see if there's anyone else out there who would rather get an item with the gold they earned the old fashioned way, instead of getting a donation for it. Or having the item donated to them.

For me, questing for an item that's thousands of gold higher than what I have is like saving up for that one speical something you want to buy with your own money, that you earned from your job. There's just this certain feeling of self pride, in knowing that you got something all on your own.
And yes inflation makes things very expensive, but that's because people are greedy. It's something that should be fixed by the admins, but there's already a thread about that.

Anyway, continue on.
Inflation is inevitable. It happens all the time in real life. Take a look at gasoline prices. confused The admins can't control the Gaian economy.
Seth, I believe you made a mistake when you said only exchangers could amount that type of money so quickly. Artists can too, I know Nyo said she could just sell some stuff for her bun-buns but she would rather work for them them 3nodding

Also when I was new to gaia I was in WTG and posting like a literate person some nice guy gave me a sealed letter and a jacked up cape. I still have and treasure those items, they remind me of where I came from.

Also I believe there is nothing wrong accepting donations when you are questing. Have you ever been to the charity subforum? I started there and I made really awsome friends, there is an attitute of giving and recieving there that is just phenominal. There is also an attitute of dedication and hard work, it's just a little bonus when someone donates. It doesn't mean you work any less hard in fact when someone donated to my quest I always gave them something in return, weather it was bumping there thread a ton or making them a custom bump picture.

P.S. Most recently though I was hacked and I find that people keep trying to donate to me. xd Even after I told them I don't want anything and I think I can recover on my own. (Meaning I don't think any of my items were stolen and all they took was 16k and deleted my character. But I did accept one donation from a friend because I knew it wasn't out of pity and she really did it because she was a friend. (And it will help me look like me again IE Fix my hair)

I don't feel bad about taking that donation or any other donation I've accepted.

5,450 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
The Party Butler 2
Seth, I believe you made a mistake when you said only exchangers could amount that type of money so quickly. Artists can too, I know Nyo said she could just sell some stuff for her bun-buns but she would rather work for them them 3nodding .

I normally count fishers, artists and the like as fast gold making people. I think it was probably just me sinking into the idea of a "no donation" society. Artists make gold fast, but only if people pay gold. I know that quite a few people actually quest for expensive art these days, and without donations they wouldn't be able to; artists would lose out.

Something like that, anyway. I know what I mean. ^_^;;

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

A donation is a donation. Everyone on Gaia is after some Item all the time. I'm happy to help people provided they follow the rules of my Charity.

However, when people think they are entitled to a donation or certain privilages because they gave a donation - then they suck and need to go make friends with Mr. Gasoline and Mr. Lighter whee

Conservative Poster

6,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
Well...PB2 sorry to hear about the hacking. Must have been one hell of a surprise to come to Gaia and find out your character had been deleted. All right, so now I'm kind of seeing it a bit differently.
I still say that asking for donations kind of takes the wonder out of a quest. Like a journey that you take all on your own. And once you get to your destination you have this great sense of self-satisfaction that's like no other.

But then again, I might have trust issues. Go RAD. (Reactive Attachment Disorder) Which is probably the case, but that's not the point.

I just think that the point of a quest is to get to your destination on your own, and the only help you get are some encouraging words. But I guess that's why we all have our own views on things, right?

Anyway, I think this thread's been done to death and back. Unless there's anything else regarding donations any one would care to discuss. In which case, have at it.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
let me give you an advise given to me awhile back that goes along with this story.

a young man worked his ace off trying to get a job and he finally did
he kept working for his college edgucation even though his parent
were givening him the check to go there.
the young man told his parents he wants to earn it and so when he gets
to be really old he can look back and say I Did that I'm a man
but the thing is that even having another person help you achive your goal
doesnt make you even more or less of a man then have you did it yourself.
I perfer getting my items without any help as well, and if it's worht less than 50K, everyone else should be too. However, for those questing for stuff over 50K (like Angelic/Nitemare Scarfs, for instance), deserve a donation since otherwise they'll be on Gaia 24/7 for at least half a year trying to obtain their goal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff