Welcome to Gaia! ::

I quote people a lot more than I used to. I used to be a regular in B/C pet forums and I would never quote because we were all regulars so we'd always come back to the forums (some threads even required you to be semi-active on it). Those were my subscribed threads.
Now I don't know much threads where people stay and hang out so I quote people a lot more. Plus, if people post a lot in threads (like megathreads in the achievement forum) it is easier to keep up a conversation and not get lost or be like "did they write back yet?" or "Are they talking to me or someone else?"

Tipsy Lunatic

I'm always afraid that people won't know that I'm talking to them specifically if I don't quote them, .... or at the least do that @reply thing that's caught on ever since twitter.
I like when people quote me, even if it's to start an argument, debate, discussion, or just a friendly chat. Normally if I have a direct response to somebody in particular, I'll quote that person.

Otherwise I'm kinda just doing my own thing. emotion_omnomnom

Destructive Bunny

I certainly don't have the time to revisit threads. There are a few exceptions, like informative threads with updated that I suscribe to, my own threads where I get a notification when someone posts, or hangout threads I visit periodically.

It's such a given now that a response should quote the original that I don't see why anyone bother to add quote me to their sig.

Fashionable Gaian

I honestly hate it when I see that sentence in a signature.

It tells me "Hey, I'm too lazy to go back and check myself, sorry!"

Rare

I don't have time to revisit every thread I post in. Unless it's a particularly interesting (or drama-filled) thread or it's a really slow day, I'll usually only read up to where I post and then leave the thread. It makes sense to do something to get someone's attention before you start talking to them, and in forums that's quoting them.

I have been in forums where there are no quote notifications, but those are usually much smaller forums than Gaia.

My captcha is "you rock!" with a lizard in the background. I feel pretty good now.

Celestial Spirit

I don't usually quote the OP, but other than that, I quote all the time. I prefer it when others quote me, so I don't have to go back and check what I wrote. But I do often check in on threads I've already commented on anyway, just because I'm curious what others have to say.

Celestial Spirit

Piggyback-Chan
I honestly hate it when I see that sentence in a signature.

It tells me "Hey, I'm too lazy to go back and check myself, sorry!"

Try "busy." Sometimes people are just checking during a break, and don't care to waste time. What's wrong with that?

Ladykiller

I like being quoted because it makes me feel special when I see the notification gonk

I Quincy I's King

Sundae Scribe

36,315 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Healer 50
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
I don't think it's lazy or selfish to use a forum feature the way it's supposed to be used. xd I do and don't use it. It's not that big of a deal. I don't understand the people that go out of their way not to quote to avoid their replies being seen though. Like, I've seen people reply to my posts specifically but refuse to quote me or even note in the post that they're replying to me even though from the content they obviously are. I don't get it. rofl I think being "lazy" is better than going out of one's way to be antisocial.

Shy Warrior

Soporose

I like being quoted because it makes me feel special when I see the notification gonk

User Image
Me too emotion_kirakira .
It's like I wrote something good enough to for someone to respond to.
Doesn't happen often because lurking.

I always try to quote someone in a thread in the hopes it'll start a conversation, rather than just post and flee.

And there are some other forums I really think could benefit from having a quote notification.

Ladykiller

Voievoda
Soporose

User Image
Me too emotion_kirakira .
It's like I wrote something good enough to for someone to respond to.
Doesn't happen often because lurking.

I always try to quote someone in a thread in the hopes it'll start a conversation, rather than just post and flee.

And there are some other forums I really think could benefit from having a quote notification.

Yeah!! Oh man do I feel ya. I admit, I'm a post and flee-er most of the time but when I do quote someone it definitely means something. Thank goodness for the tipping system otherwise xP

CallMeCuriosity's Significant Otter

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • I Won the Titles the Titles are Mine! 500
I quote if I want to speak with someone honestly. To me, if I see a thread with a bunch of different people posting, it doesn't make sense NOT to quote the person I want the attention of. I just don't get leaving a reply to someone up to chance of them seeing it if you didn't quote them. Even people who do come back and look at a thread still might miss your post, and therefore your reply to them. I'd just rather quote so I know I've got their attention and if they have something to say in return, they can. I quote in both forums and guilds, but I don't leave quote trees. I just leave the quote for the username and that is it, since I don't like having that much space taken up by my posts. I just like quoting, it's a nearly surefire way (sometimes people still miss notifications) of getting someone to notice what you said to them haha.

Handsome Man-Lover

I quote when I want the person to see it, easy as that.
Or to aknowledge/emphasize or contest their point for the OP.
It's all for better reference.

Unbeatable Protagonist

29,625 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
Deliacroix
I also don't get why people address others with @ instead of quoting.

I see this more prominently in a place like the Art Freebies forums. While most people there are of the faction that expects you to stay and chat, which is sorta understandable, some seem to forget that maybe, just maybe, people have a life, and might not be able to respond to their unquoted reply right off the bat. Either that or there's so many people to respond to, they can't be arsed to mass-quote everyone present.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff