Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reveler

post styles make quoting people a pain I will passive-aggressively delete everything that is not needed in a post if it's more than say 30 characters long.

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

I use post styles, there's just a couple of forums I don't use them in.
Such as SF, GCD and Questions and Assistance.

I only use it in CB, really.
Most people in CB like my post style.
However, I find in places like this, I want my post to be focused on content, not the looks~

Kawaii Lunatic

I prefer default. It has all the bling I need - none.

Post styles depends a lot on the forum. The GCD has practically none while the CB or A/M/C has tons.

Hesitant Mystic

I've never understood the point of post styles and I'm far too lazy to use them. emotion_awesome

Angelic Champion

I used to always use a post style.

Dark red, size 11 and centered.

But I got lazy and as such, I never use post styles anymore unless I'm setting up a thread.

Personally I think post styles are a great way to add some personal flair to your posts but there are some things that can make them tacky. Rather obvious links to a quest thread and size 9, italicized "Questing ~ 150k // 15mil please help me reach my dream~!" or something like that is rather tacky when put into a post in my opinion. Things like that I prefer to see in someone's signature. But then again, who am I to say anything about this? It's just my personal opinion.

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
User Image

I like post styles, and even if I don't have any image, I like to use my preferred blue font colour. It's just another way of expressing my individuality I guess. I used to have a rainbow gradient text, but I decided on something which was smaller to quote. I also have a tiny version just for very short replies/bumps.

There's users I recognise because of their posting style. To me, it's kind of like being able to hear someone's voice in the forums. I like simple choices like a small image or a couple of lines of text, or even just the non-default font colour (well... as long as their choice isn't yellow or cyan or something). Post styles are still very big in the CB, RP threads, and mini-shops, but I think that the GCD has been moving away from them a little. While I can see people rebelling from the really obnoxious styles that some people have where it's hard to find their actual post, I'm wondering if this is also to do with the fact that sometimes in the GCD, it's cool to not like things.

User Image
My reasons for not making post styles: laziness, lack of passion, and limitations. I used to do a lot of my own coding for my group roleplay threads, but they die off so often that I don't see a point in putting all that effort into posts anymore. The same goes with making character posts. The other thing is, as I did more and more coding, I realized just how limited the coding system is. I felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again, but just in different orders. Most users just copy and paste stuff from other test threads. I've coded so much stuff that I get sick of looking at so many codes, or even my own layouts.

I don't know if what I'm about to say is irrelevant, but I'm perplexed when someone claims that their post style was "stolen". That's like saying that the set of codes are copyrighted, when BBCode is, in itself, a communication system that can be utilised by the whole Gaia community, and even in sites beyond the Gaia community. Putting copyright on that is unrealistic when it's so widely used, so, I don't even know why people would bother enforcing that on their own.
icyMOTHA
I used to always use a post style.

Dark red, size 11 and centered.

But I got lazy and as such, I never use post styles anymore unless I'm setting up a thread.

Personally I think post styles are a great way to add some personal flair to your posts but there are some things that can make them tacky. Rather obvious links to a quest thread and size 9, italicized "Questing ~ 150k // 15mil please help me reach my dream~!" or something like that is rather tacky when put into a post in my opinion. Things like that I prefer to see in someone's signature. But then again, who am I to say anything about this? It's just my personal opinion.

I guess people put that in their post layouts because their signature is only shown at the final post of the page if they've made multiple posts. They just don't want potential donors to miss out on that chance to donate. wink
B I B A X T
I think a big reason why people don't use them so often anymore is probably all the reasons stated in the op. We've moved on as a community and for the more elaborate styles it probably took too long to set up or was too much trouble to set it up.I used to have a fairly simple one that was just color,size,and boldness and even that was too much trouble for me so I can't imagine what those with all the pictures etc. would have to go through just to reply to a topic.

I think I remembered a time when users in the GCD generally posted in size 10 or 11...not really sure if it was the GCD or Barton Town. I'm doing it now because I'm feeling nostalgic. mrgreen I think the reason why people in Barton Town can still be strict about these things is because the literate to advanced-literate roleplayers post a lot of text. Sometimes, small text make things easier to read, but some post layouts do mess that up. xp

Angelic Champion

Enigmatic Conspiracy
I guess people put that in their post layouts because their signature is only shown at the final post of the page if they've made multiple posts. They just don't want potential donors to miss out on that chance to donate. wink

Ahh, I see. That's a fair enough reason. Personally, even if that is the reason I'm still not too keen on the concept, but I am just one person and it is just my opinion. :3

Player

I tend to make my Fonts smaller sometimes. Like this
No big deal

But I can't stand Post styles like that

Or that

They just make me skip them without bother to read them

Perky Demigod

gaia_crown
    ♥ this is my current post layout c;
    [size=9]
    :crown:
    [list]♥ [/size][/list]

i think it looks sweet , simple .. and yeah c;
    i like making small changes to my post styles; like i change styles depending on the color avi i have , i try to balance the look to make it match.

the really disturbing post layouts are commonly;
    RANDOM SPEAKING TEST

(っ-●益●)っ ,︵‿
    RANDOM SPEAKING TEST

HAI I JUST N@TUR@A11Y SP3@K LI3K TH1S

its just like.. "mah eyes" >:C
Speaking of changing post styles based on what the avatar looks like, that's also one of the reasons why I don't put in heaps of effort into my post styles anymore. Someone made a free avatar art piece for me to use in my posts, but it becomes irrelevant when I change my avatar or add to it. I don't really want to pay someone to make new art for me whenever I decide to change my avatar. I do find it cool when I see other people using it though.

Dainty Doll

I've never bothered with them, and while some are definitely less obnoxious than others (and some are downright cute!) I put their decreased usage down to how irritating it can be to quote someone with one.

Perhaps it's the quote notification system?
This is based purely on personal observation, but I find that now that we get notified when we are quoted, people tend to quote a lot more often. Whereas before people would often use @username to talk to someone, as it didn't make any difference whether you did that or quoted, you were still reliant on that person checking back in the thread to see if they'd been spoken to or not.

Quote styles don't matter much when you're using @username to have a discussion with someone, but when you start quoting they quickly become obnoxious to deal with, especially those that have pictures, alignments etc.

Dapper Businesswoman

7,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I had issues figuring out where the text began and the formatting ended. Especially comes that had wrap around words. Ugh. The misery of it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff