Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Poster

3,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
VVhip

Given that many other forums, most of the styles you suggested aren't really applicable, like Word Games, or Chatterbox, for example. But it's nice to consider what works best for each forum, too!

The discussion forums are probably best suited to some of the longer form OP styles, though they often do appear in question or anecdote format.

I kind of think the best topic is one that attempts to blend a few styles. Such as including questions that are relevant to the discussion within the OP or at the end, and keeping the discussion reasonably brief. If one wishes to state one's own opinion or experience in a topic, it is better to discuss that as it comes up within the topic rather than bog the OP down with your own answers to the discussion points you're raising. It then begins to feel like a journal post rather than something the OP wishes to explore.

At least, keep the anecdotes and personal opinions brief in the OP, and only include them if they add weight to your discussion points.

Not that I'd know s**t, I never make topics.

I do agree that hybrids are the best. They sort of bring people in more.

I do somewhat agree with you also in what you said about saving the opinion. That could work or not work. It comes down to time, and if you had a good opinion in the first place. With time it, that all depends on how much the person who posted will invest in a topic. If you this topic as an example: Here, I am being the chatty host. Not all people are that invested. Sometimes I wonder what one should expect from a thread. At the best of times it's insight and other perspectives. At the worst of times it's a conceited need for page counts. OPer intentions is another topic, sorry.

With an opinion, what if your thread is wrong or you change your mind. Maybe someone has convinced you down the line of something else then your not as sure. It's a positive thing actually but that can leave you with less to say. Also, you kind of want it so that other people are engaging in conversation and not replying always to the OPer. Well, in an ideal situation. Not this situation, I am afraid. xD

For certain topics styles, personal stories/one-on-one is good in a forum with people share vested interest. Or the forum subject has it's on community feel offline. Like the anime community and the football community... fan type communities.

Anecdote boy, sometimes your words are just to fancy for me. lol/cry/lol

Chatty Poster

3,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Sir Black Tea
No matter what my polls are always about your mom

Always
Is that a challenge? dramallama ninja

Rare

PliR
Sir Black Tea
No matter what my polls are always about your mom

Always
Is that a challenge? dramallama ninja

No... neutral

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Oh, wow, this is a creative subject to discuss! I usually do personal story style and end with a question style. They come so naturally to me.

OG Noob

I usually stick to my guns and just give out my opinion and see how people react to it. It's almost like what a forum is meant for. surprised

Nerd

It's been a long time since I've actually made a thread of my own but usually I just kind of start with my thoughts and whatever I wanted to say and end with some discussion questions like everyone else.I really don't think about it all too much.I guess I used to start off with a general salutation to the community a nice "How is everyone?" or something just to remind everyone that we are a community and getting to know each other is important not just posting our opinions and scurrying off.

Heroic Hero

16,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
I usually start with, "Hi, guys."
And then I get straight to the point (about two lines).
It usually ends with a question.
And that's about it. I fail at making long reads. xD

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
A short intro would do. I don't like posts that have very long explanations which can actually be compressed into a few sentences.

I don't add stuff that aren't related to the topic (e.g., questions like "how are you?" or "which would you like?).

I have two threads that I've been keeping for over a year. They both have lists of suggestions so I guess I like listing ideas. It's more organized that way. They're both received well by most people and I'm glad of the reception because I rarely make threads.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff