Welcome to Gaia! ::

-Discussion and Information-
Currently discussing the ongoing Gaia plot.</center>

<center>Links and Reputable Threads
Threads you can trust for good information.</center>

I've noticed an increasing preponderance of threads with misleading or false information. Here are some threads that I can vouch for in terms of accurate information and good investigative skills. Remember, only the author's posts are official... Don't automatically believe anything that someone posts in one of these.

<center>~This thread is a handy note from your friendly local Gaian Crisis Squad.~

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
</center>
-post has become obsolete and is thus de-POOFed-
TriskDaemon
I've come up with the following theory, apologies if it had already been posted.

Now, early on, I realized that the increase in the meter, pixel-wise, was not in any way DIRECTLY related to the amounts donated. Instead, it was moving at a steady .05551-ish pixels every 30 seconds. From that, I calculated a table, showing it ending at 3AM. However, as I kept checking, the progress was always faster than my projection, increasing to a rate of .08-ish px/sec. The way I can account for this, and something that makes a lot of sense, is to envision a system where the amount donated increases not the progress in the bar, but the rate of progress in the bar. Therefore, everything you donate makes it move faster, but it doesn't directly affect the position. I could be wrong, but this idea correlates perfectly with what I observed, and with the behavior of the bar.

Bottom line: Donating doesn't make the bar move, it makes it move faster.

Yes, I know. I'm a dork.

thats very good, and its not dork, its geek lol, I am a geek, not dork though xd

Aged Gaian

14,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
well its good to see you put your brains to work, i thought it was something like that but then i wondered it's not gaia to do something for one day only (something like this anyways), so maybe something big like a ball is going to happen
Credence
Interesting and possible, but how can you tell that contributions didn't cause it to move? I understand you're saying donations cause acceleration of the graph (which makes sense, I guess, so that the event would still finish if only 2 people donated - it would just take forever)...but how can you say that with any certainty as you have no way to tell how many donations are made and when?
Edited my post to show my logic.
Ok thats too complicated for me sweatdrop
well what about lag? there is some serious lag especially since they don't even take the gold right away.
...Trisk, you rock so hard.
Labtech CJ
well what about lag? there is some serious lag especially since they don't even take the gold right away.
Under this system, lag doesn't matter. It just delays the rate change slightly. That's why the system is better, and thus more likely to be implemented.

Anxious Waffles

Excellent explanation! 3nodding ^_^ It makes sense.
Kameko
...Trisk, you rock so hard.
Love you too, Kame. wink
*snk* I love how you'll put so much effort into mathematical analysis when it's not for school, Trisket... xd
This soooo sounds like something I would do... XD
hmm... Maybe for the upcomming Easter event.
*crowns Trisk Mathpimp of Gaia*

3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas