Welcome to Gaia! ::

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
          Greetings, Gaians.
          It's early morning here in the PST-zone, and I've found myself searching through a few forums I'm remotely interested in (due to the lack of activity in my natural habitat). The problem is, these are forums I've never post in. Now, a more sociable Gaian than myself would see no issue in this, however I feel rather intimidated when it comes to posting in these foreign forums. And thus, while I am fairly chatty in my native forum, as well as a couple others, I am now realizing that I'm a lurker everywhere else and cannot get myself to post.

So, GCD, how do you assimilate into unfamiliar forums? Do you just post without a worry, or are you also intimidated by the locals and their established community?
          Are there any forums you feel that are more difficult to approach than others (the GCD included)?
          Do you recall how you came upon the GCD and what made you post here? How long was it before you felt like a regular? Or, if you don't, do you still feel comfortable posting here?
          At what point do you think one starts to be seen as a regular? Posting regularly seems like an obvious response, but would you notice someone who posted constantly for a week? Longer?

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
I am a misfit anyway. So I just go in with gusto! If I see something I am interested and have something to say, I do it.

I do not bother to worry about being in unfamiliar territory and all of that. Too much energy being wasted. Too much stress.

Be like water and 'go with the flow'.

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Nyadriel
I am a misfit anyway. So I just go in with gusto! If I see something I am interested and have something to say, I do it.

I do not bother to worry about being in unfamiliar territory and all of that. Too much energy being wasted. Too much stress.

See, I usually try to not speak unless I have something to say. But there are some forums I want to post in that I am completely at a loss for how to post or what to say.
          You make an excellent point about wasting energy. Can't waste that precious commodity. Perhaps I should try and be more like water~

In a relationship with VVishing

I don't think any forum is difficult to approach, as long as you don't offend their little community. I feel like forums are a bit welcoming to a certain type, while not appealing to others. I don't really remember how I stumbled upon here, but I do know why I stay here: because I like lurking this part of the site. I like seeing what the community has to say, and sometimes, interesting things happen on this part of the forum.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
Denham
Nyadriel

See, I usually try to not speak unless I have something to say. But there are some forums I want to post in that I am completely at a loss for how to post or what to say.
          You make an excellent point about wasting energy. Can't waste that precious commodity. Perhaps I should try and be more like water~

When it comes to posting any new threads in unfamiliar territory, I am also a bit... confused. Though I have seen people post something in a very wrong place. Like when somebody is posting... that they are selling something in the news Forum... uhh... I mean, come on.
But there are some rules in some Forums that are a bit unclear. I don't mind if they get moved to where they are supposed to be if I make that mistake and need some clarification. I consider it a learning experience.

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Universal Paradigms
I don't think any forum is difficult to approach, as long as you don't offend their little community. I feel like forums are a bit welcoming to a certain type, while not appealing to others. I don't really remember how I stumbled upon here, but I do know why I stay here: because I like lurking this part of the site. I like seeing what the community has to say, and sometimes, interesting things happen on this part of the forum.

That's the thing, though. As much as we are all a part of a larger community, individual forums have unspoken rules and etiquette. That is primarily what I find to be intimidating, at least.
          So would you consider yourself more of a GCD lurker then? If so, why do you prefer to lurk as opposed to participating? That's how I am with the Avatar Talk forum, I enjoy seeing what they have to say but I rather sit and watch than get involved.

In a relationship with VVishing

Denham
          That's the thing, though. As much as we are all a part of a larger community, individual forums have unspoken rules and etiquette. That is primarily what I find to be intimidating, at least.
          So would you consider yourself more of a GCD lurker then? If so, why do you prefer to lurk as opposed to participating? That's how I am with the Avatar Talk forum, I enjoy seeing what they have to say but I rather sit and watch than get involved.

Usually I do not participate because a lot of what I wished to say has already been spoken. Either that, or I am simply curious as to what others think, regardless of not having an opinion myself.

Tipsy Genius

I don't really hesitate to post in other forums, because for every 10 trolls there is about 1 nice guy. So, that one person makes up for it if I do get trolled by other people. Besides, I do a little lurking before I even attempt to post. Gotta understand foreign grounds. ninja

As for forums that are hard to approach, I'm pretty sure the GCD is very intimidating. A lot of people probably think this forum is full of grammar nazis or something. And I wandered in here by pure chance, but was drawn in by the lack of text speak here. And I do sort of feel like a regular here. A bit. emo

Salty Phantom

24,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Bookworm 100
Being rather shy IRL, I have to admit sometimes find it hard to branch out to different forums. I generally tend to be afraid of saying the wrong thing, which I do a shocking amount when I physically talk to someone, so I spend a lot of time planning what I'm going to say if I enter a new place. I don't stray from the GCD too often, even if I lurk here more than I post, mainly because I know what to expect from this area and am sometimes lucky enough to be able to formulate an appropriate response.

... and sometimes unappropriate, but I never know that when I make the post >_<

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Zeklyte
I don't really hesitate to post in other forums, because for every 10 trolls there is about 1 nice guy. So, that one person makes for it if I do get trolled by other people. Besides, I do a little lurking before I even attempt to post. Gotta understand foreign grounds. ninja

As for forums that are hard to approach, I'm pretty sure the GCD is very intimidating. A lot of people probably think this forum is full of grammar nazis or something. And I wandered in here by pure chance, but was drawn in by the lack of text speak here. And I do sort of feel like a regular here. A bit. emo

Hmmm, good point. Though I feel some forums are more prone to trolls than other...
          I can see how Gaians who frequent different forums might find the GCD intimidating, especially since it's fairly structured when compared to chat based forums.
          At this point I recognize so many people in the GCD, there are many regulars in my book 3nodding

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
    • Olympian 200
    • Perfect Attendance 400
    • Invisibility 100
    Soundholic
    DARNIT, I deleted my post 'cause I thought I double posted. B / Thank god I could still get it back.

Anyway!

Personally, I never feel intimidated by any certain forum. As a user on Gaia like everyone else, I have every right to post my opinion or reply (As long as it does not breach the T.O.S or the rules the thread/forum may possess) without worry. Established community? Aren't we all a part of this community called Gaia?

I feel that GCD is a very open forum- I started posting in the GCD not too long ago and found absolutely no problems. As for other forums- I tend to avoid the CB and GD. Seems that there are mostly attention seekers there, so they aren't places I like to be in (God knows how much I love to creep). I also lurk in some other forums, but I never post because I don't have much constructive input (That hasn't been said already) for the topics. Of course, like most of the newer folks here, I chanced upon the GCD from those RIG item lists every month, and now, I post often. Wouldn't call myself a regular yet, but I quite like it here in the GCD.

Hmmm while we are part of a larger community, there does seem to be different attributes and etiquette to areas with more traffic (GCD, CB, AT, Rallies, and so on).
            Now that you mention it, maybe my forum-shyness isn't due to intimidation, but rather just having nothing to contribute. But at what point do you think you'll be considered a regular? I recognize your name~

Nekimi's Senpai

Friendly Haremite

Interestingly timed topic, seeing as I myself have gone forum exploring lately. It's actually been my lack of want to post here, that drove me out to see other places. I wanted to feel a part of the fun again, instead of resigning myself to hanging back the majority of the time. My thing is to lurk a little, see how it goes, then jump in and try not to make too big of a wave. (offend anyone) So far, it's going well I think, and I am enjoying it. This is what the forums are about, right? : )

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
    • Partygoer 500
    • Battle: Level 10 250
    • Alchemy Level 10 100
    It's easy to post in any random forum. on other websites i just use their anon thing to make comments on news articles that i never go back to. then again, i like spreading my textual seed about the internets, never to return again.

if a forum is slowish it's probably easier to get your posts noticed, thus there'd probably be less need to post a lot. in faster paced forums like CB/GD it's harder to be seen as a "regular" when there are so many people around posting. if you only post a couple o' times in those forums people won't remember you.

Quick Reply

Submit
    Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff