Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mega Genius

14,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
Anabaena
Now that's quite clever! It makes sure you don't get necro'ed threads.. But maybe we should just make it an extra 'confirm' part instead of stopping you from posting?

Like a pop-up that says 'This thread is really old, are you sure you want to post?'

User Image
i'd rather not, as i don't trust spammers not to confirm anyway. they don't care that they're necroing a thread, they're just looking for something to post in.

I Quincy I's King

Sundae Scribe

36,315 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Healer 50
  • Chocolatier’s Faithful Gift 200
Hmm, I suppose it's all right. No more necro trolls, that's for sure. xd Just will still be the occasional OP necro "Look, I said this years ago and was right!" that I see every now and then. Kind of sucks for topics where the OP is long gone, but hopefully adding some exceptions for specific forums will loosen that up a bit.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Uncle Kenny
Hey there!

Sorry about the confusion around this. This was actually my own project that went out and I haven't had the proper time to introduce it to everybody. So this is indeed a new feature that only went out last week. Let me go over the details of it to try and help clarify things for everybody.

So the purpose of this is to try and reduce the number of old threads that get randomly bumped back up by unrelated parties/trolls/spammers/etc. How it actually works is it compares the date of the last post to a specific time threshold that we can manually set. This threshold is not definitive and will be adjusted up or down as we get more feedback on the feature and how well it's working/harming certain forums. If the last post is beyond the threshold then it's set up to only allow the original creator of the thread or a staff member to post in it in order to bump it back up. I also currently have an exception set up for the Chatterbox since we really don't mind when someone posts in there though.

There currently is only one threshold for all forums and the one exception to the rule, being CB. So with that said, I'd be more than happy to hear any other feedback you have about it. This is something I did to try and make things less spammy for everyone so if there's something I could improve on or somewhere I'm stepping too far, feel free to let me know 3nodding

Would it possible for you to make Barton Town an exception, too? After all, I've been in a few RPs where people stopped posting for months due to being too busy to RP (or some other reasons), but then the RP picks up again after a brief hiatus.

Scurvy Pirate

Sakura Parfait
Uncle Kenny
Hey there!

Sorry about the confusion around this. This was actually my own project that went out and I haven't had the proper time to introduce it to everybody. So this is indeed a new feature that only went out last week. Let me go over the details of it to try and help clarify things for everybody.

So the purpose of this is to try and reduce the number of old threads that get randomly bumped back up by unrelated parties/trolls/spammers/etc. How it actually works is it compares the date of the last post to a specific time threshold that we can manually set. This threshold is not definitive and will be adjusted up or down as we get more feedback on the feature and how well it's working/harming certain forums. If the last post is beyond the threshold then it's set up to only allow the original creator of the thread or a staff member to post in it in order to bump it back up. I also currently have an exception set up for the Chatterbox since we really don't mind when someone posts in there though.

There currently is only one threshold for all forums and the one exception to the rule, being CB. So with that said, I'd be more than happy to hear any other feedback you have about it. This is something I did to try and make things less spammy for everyone so if there's something I could improve on or somewhere I'm stepping too far, feel free to let me know 3nodding

Would it possible for you to make Barton Town an exception, too? After all, I've been in a few RPs where people stopped posting for months due to being too busy to RP (or some other reasons), but then the RP picks up again after a brief hiatus.

Yep, that's on my list of potential exclusions. Once I get the system set up to add exceptions easily, I'll probably make a Dev Notice for it 3nodding

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Uncle Kenny
Sakura Parfait
Uncle Kenny
Hey there!

Yep, that's on my list of potential exclusions. Once I get the system set up to add exceptions easily, I'll probably make a Dev Notice for it 3nodding

Awesome. c:

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
I second Barton Town being excluded. I still have an ancient RP thread bookmarked that nobody ever posts in any more, but that doesn't mean none of us oldbies will never try to give it a go again, and I'd rather not have to make a new one.

Stellar Succubus

I just noticed this.

Pretty much ruins the Word Games forum.

Wealthy Bunny

11,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Is this effective in the test forums too?
My test thread was started on another account, call me lazy but I don't want to log out of my main just to test a post style or make a new thread layout, especially if the post or thread is super simple.
I'd like to keep all my coding in one place and I really don't want to make a new thread if I don't have to.

Edit:: Other than that, I think this is wonderful. I absolutely hate seeing dead threads renewed all the time

User Image

16,050 Points
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
In the Aquarium Forum

I encountered this anti-necro feature last night trying to bump a glow thread. My friend has no space in her siggy and nobody has bumped her thread since January. I spazzed a little at first due to epic tank that nobody got to grab booty from but me, and thinkin' about how much gold she's not making since nobody's bumping (or can't). Also that I am currently waiting for death of my last old fish, who is over 900 days old (wish I had a button to put him out of his misery) before I put new fish in and appropriately try to necro my own bump thread. After posting in the Q&A forum they linked me here.

There are times where we allow our fish to die off, or freeze them while we get busy with school/work/rl and may not tend to our bump threads for months at a time. When we do return our fish to our aquariums the glow thread that has sat idle for months is just going to be popped right back into our siggy so we can carry on as we did before.
Quote:

If the last post is beyond the threshold then it's set up to only allow the original creator of the thread or a staff member to post in it in order to bump it back up.

Now that I am aware it is still possible to necro a thread when it IS appropriate and how I have to go about doing it, I dig it. This will be great in the Aquarium forum to keep those old dead booty grab threads full of empty tanks from floating back to the top and I think the time set on the block is very appropriate (could even be a little shorter maybe). As long as I can personally revive my thread or request that it be revived when I put new fish in, I'm good.

ty for saving me from having to make a new glow thread <3

Ruthless Shapeshifter

Eh? XD I've basically Neco'd old threads of mine. >>;
Which was years ago in activity.

Never seemed to hit this wall yet.

Then again...I haven't exactly done it recently XD

NiChangelo's Wife

Springtime Mama

Uncle Kenny
Hey there!

Please consider an exception for the Wordgames forum!
There are plenty of good games available, some of which people like to get back to after some time.
This feature would create lots of double threads and just making a messy WG.

Cluttered Kitten

14,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User Image
Clever! I had no idea this small notice was implemented. That's definitely very helpful.
I had been confused when I'd see an interesting thread I wanted to respond to that was years old.
This will help my confusion for sure. xD User Image

Coco's Secret Admirer

Fairy

Majikina
Uncle Kenny
Hey there!

Please consider an exception for the Wordgames forum!
There are plenty of good games available, some of which people like to get back to after some time.
This feature would create lots of double threads and just making a messy WG.

Seconded. This being said, perhaps we WGer's can be on the look out for threads that are repeats and report them? Not trying to make more work for the FA's and mods, but if it's to keep the forums from getting cluttered, maybe it'd be better if the older threads were kept and the new ones were sent to CB?
Uncle Kenny
Aside from the already mentioned Word Games forum, could you also make Music, and some of its subforums exceptions?
The reason I ask this is because Music, and a good chunk of its subforums, have Official threads for certain bands, which, to quote the thread I just linked, "...serve to cut down on some of the spam and repeat threads within the Music forum..."
The official threads, however, are not stickies, and a lot of them go without use for a pretty long time. A lot of the creators of said threads are no longer active on the site either. The new anti-necro thing basically makes it impossible for a good chunk of official threads to be used, which is going to make the amount of repeats rise.

Unbeatable Hoarder

Now see, I couldn't post in a thread that is from December, yet I can post in one that was dead from over a year ago. I did the other day to update it. Confused..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff