Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Faun

11,850 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Ah, generations long cope and gone; I've been gone a solid, what, two years? Almost three? And here I am, back again, Theri's back, tell a friend.

All jokes aside, I've recently returned from my longest hiatus yet, and once again have no recollection of what is in vogue, I cannot remember who is who and have more-or-less started afresh.

But the question is, starting afresh, after so long, and so many things change... is it better to go from scratch? Or be caught up?
Reminded by friends who is popular and what to wear, or make new friends, and learn as you go?

Time-traveling Senshi

Considering that I didn't have much invested in the site when I went on my three year Hiatus, I acted as if I was just starting out on the site when I came back in 2007. I had friends who were on the site but because I missed out on so much it was just as though I had joined the site in August of 2007. It actually made things a lot more fun for me and I didn't feel as though I was in a huge rush to get caught up on things. I could read what I missed and look over the Gaiapedia on my own time because there was no pressure to be caught up in time for an event.

A lot of people who come back to the site and are all "Oh my god so much changed since I left last year. What did I miss" in the GCD are trying to way to hard to make it look like they never took that break. There are ways of getting caught up on the site without making it look like you're desperate to get caught up. For items, there are plenty of up to date lists in the Guides and Resources forum. For plot and events, there's reading the manga and checking out the Gaiapedia. The Gaiapedia is even good for catching up on all the secondary and tertiary characters people fawn over from all the monthly boxes that have come about since you were last on the site. It's easy to get caught up in your own time when you know where to look.

I joined in 05, and I didn't really hang around for long before I forgot about the site. I didn't log onto it again until a friend bugged me to do so two and a half years ago, so I honestly couldn't say what's better. Coming back in '10 was essentially the same as joining again and starting from scratch, it's not like I had anything or remembered what the hell was going on xD It's been something, surely.

Business Businesswoman

What a coincidence! I was just about to post a thread about this. Welcome back, hun.

I am popping my silly, little head back in here, wondering what has changed over the past year and a half. It's been quite a bit! My break hasn't been as extensive as yours, but I think for someone like me, new friends would benefit me. Looks like there's been enough change to lose a little track of the good ol' forum regulars. There's also lots of unfamiliar faces I'd love to get to know! But I wouldn't say no to people getting in touch with me again if they'd like. :3

Werewolf

A lot changes.
But to be honest.
Not really.
I take year long breaks.
Come back.
s**t's the same.
RiGs.
Cash shop.
Fanthreads.
Inflation.
Etcetera.
So it's up to you.

Why do I still come here?
Every once in awhile you find a gem.
An interesting thread.
An interesting person.
It's worth it. If you put time into it.

Angelic Nitemare

Lyndixie the Squirrel
What a coincidence! I was just about to post a thread about this. Welcome back, hun.

I am popping my silly, little head back in here, wondering what has changed over the past year and a half. It's been quite a bit! My break hasn't been as extensive as yours, but I think for someone like me, new friends would benefit me. Looks like there's been enough change to lose a little track of the good ol' forum regulars. There's also lots of unfamiliar faces I'd love to get to know! But I wouldn't say no to people getting in touch with me again if they'd like. :3

Excuse me a sec.

-power hugs- Welcome back, Dixie.

On topic, Either way has it's advantages. Having a leg up is a nice thing, but starting fresh allows for a new perspective.

Timely Advisor

I'm always for continuing on instead of starting over, but I'm one of those that insist on staying with one name/account.

But otherwise, you should totally know that it's October and that means it's time for major activity with the plot. Check out the current manga and then dress accordingly, basically.

Benevolent Cutesmasher

14,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
This doesn't really belong on the GCD

Angelic Nitemare

Lord Vincent Blackwater

Why wouldn't it? It's a perfectly legit topic. Actually read the Opening post. OP isn't asking to be updated, they are asking which we as users think is better, starting fresh or having a bit of a heads up after a break.

That being said, if you don't think it belongs here, then DON'T POST. JUST REPORT IT.

Posting "this doesn't go here" just makes you look mean.

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
I don't even bother trying to catch up when i am away for periods of time.

Hardcore Unicorn

20,825 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Object of Affection 150
✘✘✘
    I honestly prefer being caught up, I think being established eliminates a ton of confusion and frustration. I know when I got my account back last September I was so lost and irritated because I wasn't as informed about the site or as prosperous as I would have liked to have been. Even though every month became easier, having the knowledge already there beats having to discover and accidentally stumble upon things.

Benevolent Cutesmasher

14,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Ridley Starsmore
Lord Vincent Blackwater

Why wouldn't it? It's a perfectly legit topic. Actually read the Opening post. OP isn't asking to be updated, they are asking which we as users think is better, starting fresh or having a bit of a heads up after a break.

That being said, if you don't think it belongs here, then DON'T POST. JUST REPORT IT.

Posting "this doesn't go here" just makes you look mean.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces