Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you follow future topics of NPC Discussions After Dark?

Yes! This could have the potential for staff to see which NPC's we're interested in and deserve more development! 0.84057971014493 84.1% [ 58 ]
No. I don't really care about the NPC's 0.1304347826087 13.0% [ 9 ]
Yes, but only if someone other than you made them 0.028985507246377 2.9% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 69 ]
1 2 3 >

Distinct Explorer

Welcome to NPC Discussion After Dark (NPCDAD)- a weekly thread that shines the spotlight on one of Gaia's very special Non-Player-Characters and gets people talking about their history and their potential future; brought to you by your host and resident crackplot theory Glompie, Fractale! -dodges rotten vegetables that are thrown-
Funding provided in part by the good people at Gaia 9 Action News.
Let's get started, shall we? This week's special guest is Damian (Ian) Von Helson!

Staring with introductions, Ian is practically the representative of the “classic” NPC's, but more notably, of Barton Town. He runs one of the most prominent shops in town, Barton Boutique, with his best friend; a talking cat with identity crisis named Rufus. He's the son of Vladmir Von Helson and Rosalie; brother to Louie Von Helson, and half-brother to Ana and Corinne Von Helson, as well as Gino Gambino. Talk about your complicated family tree.

Even more complicated is his day-to day life about Gaia. Don't let the fact that he appears to be a dapper gent in a rural town like Barton fool you. While practically nothing is known about Ian's childhood, we do know that his shop (formerly Gamibino Boutique) was originally located in the Isle de Gambino, was the family business, and handed down to him by his father. We learn that the Boutique was taken away from Ian, by Gambino, and Ian restarted his business in Barton town, with suggestion by Rufus that he specialize in funny costumes, and since then, his sales never amounted to what they were in Gambino.

According to Moira, Rufus, and Leon who were called as witnesses in the Trial of Ivan, Ian is described as harmless, spastic, non-aggro, and uncertain of how to express himself and his feelings; which puts him in an awkward situation when it comes to getting to know women, and all around not the violent type. Though from his behavior in the manga, he's shown to be immediately distrustful and jealous of the Gambino's, assaulted the Gambino family butler; Geebus, had thoughts of murdering Gino (haven't we all? XD) or leaving him to die in certain events, and nearly acted on it more than once, and in the MMVII movies, swung and kicked Zhivago off a building; so we know that some of those statements made by the defendants Moira and Leon are far from true.

What would people consider Ian's “shining moment”? Personally, I feel like Ian hasn't really been as cool in the manga as we've seen him in the godawful MMVII movie, and that one of his more outstanding moments came from the fight scene between him, Louie, and Zhivago. Not only was it heroic when Ian jumped in to fend off Zhivago from killing his brother, Louie, but it was pretty awesome seeing Ian toss Zhivvy around like a rag doll and hurl him off the building, so easily. It seems like the more we see him in the manga, the lamer he seems to get, compared to that moment.

What more would people like to know about Ian? I think there's still a lot about Ian that we don't know; things such as his parents, for instance. His father and his father's father are only mentioned once, when Ian makes the statement on how his shop was in his family for generations- along with the tradition of keeping talking cats, like Rufus, and had been passed down to him; while his mother isn't mentioned at all. It's unclear whether they're still alive or dead, if they harbor resentment to the Gambino's for making Ian's life a living hell, and if they can being some sort of conflict for Ian or his friends, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Stellar Succubus

I, for one, would like to know more about Ian's family... his upbringing etc. He didn't know he was a Von Helson, right? Who did he grow up with? How was his childhood...

And he's part vampire, right? How is that expressed? I want to know if he does the vampy thing, or will do in future, and what that means for a potential impending war.

Distinct Explorer

VVhip
I, for one, would like to know more about Ian's family... his upbringing etc. He didn't know he was a Von Helson, right? Who did he grow up with? How was his childhood...

And he's part vampire, right? How is that expressed? I want to know if he does the vampy thing, or will do in future, and what that means for a potential impending war.
Probably not. He mentions that the shop he ran in Gambino was handed down to him by his father, but never clarifies if it was an adoptive father, or Vladmir. I assume it was an adoptive one, since it seems odd Vladmir would own property on Gambino Isle, since he, too, disliked the Gambino's, and it also came to me, that Ian knowing he was heir to Vladmir was a repressed memory; that he only remembered that in dreams, when Edmund started injecting him with that orchid syrum.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Fractale, Fractale..... I will be a forever supporter of these threads.

I would love to see more of what's going on with Ian. He has been in the event-plotlines a lot of late, but never in anything more than a supporting role.

Personally, I would like to know how Ian's love life has been going.

Hopefully the thing with Sasha is dead and buried--but are ther any other ladies in his life? Now that he's open about his vampire heritage, might he be hooking up with that Countess slut? (I don't remember her name)

Speaking of sluts, what's his relationship with his twin sisters? I don't believe I have ever seen the three of them interact.

And how has Rufus been? Did they ever save up enough for his college fund after that Easter?

Fluffy Otaku

I want back story of how Ian got/met Rufus.
And aside from the "dancey-dancey", i have a feeling their friendship goes deeper/has more history than what we have been shown.

Also, as Ian's brother, why doesn't Liam, er, Louie have a pet?

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
I'm... not sure I understood the point of this thread. sweatdrop
B-but I like the discussion. I'd like to see what Ian's role is with the Von Helson family, and how his cat Rufus learned how to woof. I'd also like to see if they still plan on making Liam Ians brother, and considering Liam isn't a vampire, that would make him simultaneously Ian and Ginos genetic brother.

Yeata Zi

Speaking of sluts, what's his relationship with his twin sisters? I don't believe I have ever seen the three of them interact.

...Incest with twincest? ninja

Tiny Chibis's Partner In Crime

God Eater

I am interested on how Ian grew up in detail. I kinda always assumed Edmund did after saving him from being killed. And I kinda want to know how he learned to cope that he was a vampire, a von Helson no less. I don't think he would full on angst, but that's gotta be shitty to deal with initially.

But I would really like to see more bro moments between Ian and Louie. They've been separated for years and I wasn't too satisfied with what moments we got :c.

Stubborn Gifter

What I'm curious is how Ian deals with his half-siblings and Johnny. Sure Ian is doing okay with Louie since they are brothers, but I like to know does Ian know about the Von Helsing Sisters and Gino being his half-siblings. Heck, we don't even known what Ian's reaction was if he knew Johnny married his mom, despite his mom was already a married woman (we never did get any info if Rosalie divorced/annulled her marriage with Von Helsing.) >>;

I mean, Johnny has the picture of himself, Rosalie, and Gino in the mansion. And although we don't know if Ian stayed at the Gambino's mansion after Edward rescued him, did he see the picture of his mother there? Because if he did, then he should be aware about Gino being his half-brother. And if he's aware about Gino being his half-brother, he has a screw-up relationship with Gino in that love triangle with Sasha. >>;

Same goes with the Von Helsing sisters since they share the same last name. I'm surprised Ian didn't approach them to talk about Louie.

Gambino Darling

24,350 Points
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Canny Agent 50
  • Daring Investigator 50
Ian's half sisters are not Ana and Corinne, but Anna Corinne and Marie Von Helson. (Color added for distinction.)

My questions about Ian really only involve his parents. For starters, to which 'father' was he referring when he talked about the Gambino Boutique? Furthermore, his mother? I mean, we know her name (Rosalie); we know she married and left Vladdy; and we know she married JKG and had Gino. But how did she meet JKG, or Vladdy for that matter? I suppose more about Rosalie is really trivial.

However, to stay on-topic, I suppose Ian's 'shining moment' would have been his appearance in the MMVII feature. Or perhaps the revelation (in the Manga) that Ian was Louie's brother, and most importantly, a Von Helson.

I also want to know if Ian managed to build a relationship with his sisters and Gino. Though, I doubt it. (We know that Gino is currently unavailable, anyhow.)

Lonely Athlete

21,350 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Hello there!

Ian is an awesome NPC. I kinda feel sorry for him in a way. He's almost like the "Bad Luck Brian" before the meme ever existed. Besides, his shop is wicked pissah! (Translation "Wicked Pissah" means "very/extremely/whatever-adjective-describing-something-of-greatness awesome" where I am from.)

have a nice day

Dapper Dabbler

10,950 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Since I first joined Gaia back in 2005, Ian has been my favorite NPC [Moira a very close second]. I'd love to see more of him and in a stronger role. I'd also love to see new art of him in his store, similar to Louie. Louie looks the part of King of the Vampires; Ian's new clothes aren't bad but he could use a new hair style at the very least.

I want to see his past flushed out more, his childhood, his family, how he learned to fight so well and kick Zhivvy's bum, etc. I think delving into what he's doing now other than comic relief would be interesting. What about his relationships with his siblings? Does he have any other Von Helson family members around? Is anyone even still living in the manner? That would be a neat place for Louie and Ian to throw a Halloween bash.

On a side note, since zOMG! came out, I've been secretly wishing to see a badass Ian take on the challenge to open up the road to Durem or Aekea. Maybe throw in a Liam who isn't focused on skirts and muscles for once and is using mechs. The man builds robots he should be allowed to explore that more.

...WITH LOVE, PSY yum_tea

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
When I first joined Gaia, Ian was one of my favorites. I thought he was handsome and the way he acted was endearing. Rufus was precious too. I can't resist a guy with a cat.

Now, Ivan beat him out as my favorite NPC. Coincidentally, he's also a guy with a cat.

That said, I really do want to learn more about the family that raised Ian and I also want to see Ian interact with his family.

Buggy Punk

My favorite NPCDAD is Peyo's.

I'd like to see how Ian taught Rufus to talk.
CioccoLatte

And have dander getting on all those nice clothes at his shop? Ye gods. Edmund would have a fit.
is Edmund still dead/missing/whatever?

Can Gaia's vampires turn into a swarm of bats? If I were a vampire, I'd just not reintegrate my big toe or something and keep a pet that way. Toebat would be my best friend.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Mereluna
I'm glad I'm not the only person who went there.

Distinct Explorer

Mereluna

I'd like to see how Ian taught Rufus to talk.
CioccoLatte

And have dander getting on all those nice clothes at his shop? Ye gods. Edmund would have a fit.
is Edmund still dead/missing/whatever?

Can Gaia's vampires turn into a swarm of bats? If I were a vampire, I'd just not reintegrate my big toe or something and keep a pet that way. Toebat would be my best friend.
I was just thinking on how I really wouldn't mind seeing Rufus spend some time with Louie, for a change. Have they ever even spent time together? Maybe Ian takes in another talking cat (like Jet the Kitten star, who could've gotten tired of hanging out with Rigel & Mintaka and started looking for a new family, or the talking sky cats shop kittens from MoGa), and Rufu gets jealous and decides to move in with Louie, if Ian can't appreciate him, anymore.
as much as I dislike Gaia's near-constant focus on vampire characters (and zombies) in the plot, I think also wouldn't mind seeing Louie and Ian spending more quality brother time with each other; maybe going on their own little adventure to rekindle their bonds or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff