Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ramla Xenon's Husbando

I need more facial hair and better shoes, please, for the love of Gaia. Our array and variety of shoes is pitiful, in my opinion. I know what I'm looking for is items that put hair on a man's chest (both in a literal and figurative sense).

The artists do seem to be trying harder to appease the male users, but it's not too great of a job.

Fearsome Lunatic

20,100 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Galactic Domination 200
  • Hellraiser 500
Shirts of various styles, pants, shorts, and some acessories.

Look at the stuff guys wear in movies or on tv.
Also look at the men's section in the clothing store ads.

Most of the items that gaia has released for men are ok, with a few exceptions like the Men's Fall Fashion cash shop item.

Ice-Cold Victory

To address the point about people not being specific about what they want...just spit out a bunch of guy items and that problem is solved! whee

The fact that there are so many different types of items in want indicates that there are just not enough male avatar-centric items in general. Female avatars get such a variety of items without necessarily needing to ask, whereas people are saying that male avatars need to make specific petitions and requests in order to get more items.

I think the variation in item types exists (we have fantasy, we have sci-fi, we have modern casual and formal, etc.), but within each category, choice is much more limited compared to female and feminine avatars. For example, males have x fantasy items while females have 6x. Part of this is probably because women are able to wear so many different types of clothing and still be socially acceptable, so our avatars can wear bulky armor but also cutesy armor and also sexy bikini armor and armor heels and armor skirts and delicate revealing armor and bloodied up thick armor...but anyways...

Even when certain things are requested many times, they still aren't really addressed. Facial hair has been requested for so long by so many guys but I still don't see that much variety. And all those jokes about Gro-Gain...I think we have more "clip on" bangs than we have facial hair styles (an exaggeration...OR IS IT)!

I do appreciate all the work from the artists and I love dressing my avatar up, which is why I think more "guy items" should be made - let the male avatars have more fun dressing up too!

Hesitant Mystic

I'm actually surprised they haven't done a Salon update with facial hair yet.

Kawaii Carnivore

More boots that don 't make your feet look gigantic and nooby.
More dapper pants that are not leg mods which make you look unbalanced .And like that, you will be able to equip the shoes of your choice too. They just need to think a little bit the tights and that ' s all.

More jackets that don 't have a plastic aspect to them but elegant and sober designs .
Ties that don 't look too puny , more facial hairs mods...

In short , clothes you could see in dapper stores like I don 't know, Armani, Ralph Lauren , ...What wear so many heroes in TV shows. What dads wear to go to work lol .

Yeah . There ' s a lot to do.

Buggy Mage

I've actually made a list that provides some concise proof as to the problem. Particularly pertaining to the imbalance of masculine to feminine hairstyles aswell as the imbalance between masculine and feminine REIs/EIs hairstyles. I've found there is a striking difference in quantity. Keep in mind the notations w/masculine and w/feminine. Which mean with feminine attributes or with masculine attributes.
If youre interested in checking it out, there you may. 3nodding

<REIs>

Wisteria
Feminine:1
N/Masculine:0
Polar Tear
Feminine:3
N/Masculine:1
Band of Bremen
Feminine:2
Lady Jayne and the Mummy
Keiko's cake
Petit Cherie
S-pop Club(Taja,Rayna,Odele)
Saint Ciel (Storge,Eros,Agape)
Storge/Agape
N/Masculine:
Eros
Rosamund's Revenge/Redemption

<Love of Tea bundle>

Long Hairstyles
Oolong Wonder

Serene Green

White delight

Short Hairstyles

Bitter Black

<Elemental Rave Bundle>

Long Hairstyles

Luminous Pangea

Dread Ocean

Cherry Flare

Short Hairstyles

Tamed Twister

<Impractical Gala>

Long Hairstyles

SDPlus Renard

SDplus Dyrfinna the all-wise

Empress of the Nepoleanic Empire

Luxurious Elizabeth

Grand Victorian

Short Hairstyles

Virgil Rozenthal(Nw/masculine)

Concerto Conjuror(Nw/feminine)
Sixties Set(Nw/Feminine)
SDPlus Lucille-Eve(Nw/Feminine)

<Trinket Heart>
Long Hairstyles

Nichigatsu Kendama

Soft Lil Leoli

Royal Cavalier

Decadent Frosting

peiko

SDPlus Riddle

Short Hairstyles

Classic Marcella(Nw/Feminine)

Mechanical Doll(Nw/Feminine)

Melodious Cantata(Nw/Feminine)

mathematical spiral

Puppeteer

<Cryptic Path>

Long Hairstyles

SDPlus #416 Wakiya

Benevolent Bakeneko

Alpine Woiperdinger

Loch Ness Lassie

Ezo Okami

Short Hairstyles

Dartmoress(N/wFeminine)

Ela the Jackalope

Little Yeti

Colorful Cabra

SDPlus #409 Irwin

SDPlus #413 Keele

Fenghuang

<Dark Reflection>

Long Hairstyles
Kanoko's Dark Reflection

Icy Marionette

Kallida Kumiho

Kanoko's Illusions

SDPlus #093 Countess Ambrosia

SDPlus #408 Bloody Mary

Little Sister

The Sandman Dreams

Southtown Ghost Story

b]Short Hairstyles

SDPlus #094 Franco the Fish(Nw/masculine)

<Champion halls>

Long Hairstyles

Fey Seer

Dazzling Cheer

Love Love Serve

Supreme Student Council

Short Hairstyles

Harbinger of Silence(Nw/feminine)

Professor Noarishi(N)

King of Campus(Nw/masculine)

Nikolai's Experiment

Predominant Principal

Claude's Invisibility

<Forgotten Reverie>

Long Hairstyles

Onei the Dark Unicorn

Princess Estelle

Lunar Countess

Erteszek's Sleep

Beautiful Nightmare

Flowing Lucid Dreams

SDPlus Keiko

Demeter Nacht

Queen Corvina

Head of Dreams

Short Hairstyles

Blade of the Dawn Sky

Striking Clockman

Winsor

Bed Hair

<Runic Challenge>

Long Hairstyles

SDPlus Sweet Streets Rina

Sweet Frosting

Go Goldfish

Mystery White

Petit Cerise Fille

Chequered Punk

Short Hairstyles

Knotty(Nw/Feminine)

Twisted Sour Apple(Nw/Feminine)

Modern Mage(Nw/Feminine)

Unapologetic Sorry(N)

Peppy Mint(Nw/Masculine)

Confidential Mustard

Planchette Communicator

As for what could be done to help remedy this, while I think Gaia has made great progress overall, should be an effort to establish all around equilibrium made particularly in REIs/EIs.
Specific suggestions would be more CI Variants of Masculine Hair styles, For instance, in order to counter-balance the plethora of CI Emo/punk haircuts or hair-over-one-eye styles, we could have other hairstyles get the Full CI color and shading treatment. Exmpl: Bowl Cut, Mullet, Slicked, Buzzcuts. Avante Garde Styles.
Large Leg/Arm, Hand/Feet Mods. They've gotten into the habit of, always making super dainty or tiny mods but once upon a time mods could be large and poseable to boot!(Changeling arm mod whee ) It saddens me that that concept got left in the dust honestly.(especially moveable arm mods)

Also Chin mods (refer to the original vampire skin), that has a distinct pointed chin, Why on magical earth can't we have varying degrees of bishonen point to our chins or even protruding square jaws of the gods?
Noses of Distinction, we need more man and even women noses ranging from normal, medium to Tom Cruise.
Wrinkles!?(best current example is the Space Fleet: Second Generation on the John lke Picard pose. We need more realistic wrinkles like this certainly.
A wide arraye of muscled bulging clothing ranging from huge to slightly toned that match all basic skins and skin potions,
Battle Damaged/Effected Clothing Slashed, Burned. Bloody, Torn, ripped in half. Also Normal un-damaged poses for those clothes,
Holding wearing putting on throwing for poses holding an article of clothing.
Light Armor, Leather Armor, Cloth Armor(like the Ciels incorporated). grieves, gauntlets, shoulder plates. Armor doesn't have to be super bulky to be enjoyed. We suffer a deficite of decent/stylsih or original armor. That is why many are tired of seeing armor imo.
And, lets face it, more Masculine Eyes. Realistic, or shard or angular shaped ect of varying colors,)
Thats all I got atm

Cambrie Noel's Husband

Wicked Demigod

Like OP say, then there is a wide array of male items, but it doesn't appeal to many guys around the site. On a personal level, I don't really like a lot of the mecha items, because then I will still be limited to the armor. Other items such as Little Princeling that is a male counterpart to the female lolita, just no. Modus Operandi -- I basically only like the detective's hat and coat, but due to the way it's put on the avatar, I "can't" use it x_x (of course I can, but it irks me because I don't think the item is placed right).

As for item suggestions then I'm still waiting to see something like:

- Sweatshirt & vest combinations where you can pick between hood up or hood down, or just a tshirt underneath a cool looking vest (this would work for both male and female) Example 1, Example 2 - Front and Example 2 - Back and for the ladies Example 3 - Girl version!

- Bardwardsturned caps! Simply because we need them! Example 1 and Example 2

- Skateboards! We have a hoverboard, but not an actual skateboard! Let us be able to carry it and at least stand on it! Example

- Regular shoes that doesn't make your feet look smaller than your hands or bigger than your face gonk Example 1 and Example 2

- Jackets! Rainy Day etc are great but we need more of that caliber.. different designs Example 1, Example 2, Example 3, Example 4 and Example 5

- Just some regular jeans (same dimensions as the outlaw pants) where you don't get stick legs.. Please, enough with the skinny jeans.. Example 1 and Example 2

- Facial hair! I know it's not easy to make or possibly even make it that visible on the face, but we would kill for it!! Example

- Just hair in general gonk Example 1 and Example 2

- Body mod that tones the arms! We have shadow legend and secret retreat, shadow legends shows signs of back muscles too, secret retreat focuses solely on chest.. It would be nice if there was an item that would also tone the arms, so they look just slightly more muscular

- Masculine eyes! Somewhat mean looking! Ciro eyes are awesome, but way too small! Example

As for the female artists on Gaia, make something you would want to see your man wear, not something you would force them in for halloween. Guys, just casual clothing, please... CASUAL gonk

Impassioned Lionheart

I feel as though I can better explain what is desired through visuals. Anyone know of some notoriously "male but not really what we wanted" items? I'll rework them to be more masculine to better elaborate the point.

clarion's King

Super Model

7obias
As for the female artists on Gaia, make something you would want to see your man wear, not something you would force them in for halloween. Guys, just casual clothing, please... CASUAL gonk

This is a good way of putting it. Though I always thought that what prevented casual clothing was that they needed a reason (i.e. theme / selling point) to do it and just never had the chance. But now that it's kind of coming from the horses mouth that they "don't know what we're looking for other than facial hair" (which I think is bullshit), there's no reason not to do it.

So putting it all together, what I'd want to see happen:

- Don't over stylize
- Make something you would want to see your man wear (even if it's catwalk material, Fancy doesn't have to always mean Fantasy)
- Make it accessible (either via cash or gold shop... not RIGs / Alchemy)
- and make it cash-shop quality with no strings attached

What I mean by no strings attached is not to have some silly add-on that would have otherwise made the item perfect. Even with some casual clothing for example, we see jackets and shirts permanently attached to each other when there was no reason why they couldn't have been separate. Though this happens all the time, not just in male items.

Most importantly, they need to be designed and drawn by the right artists. Because lets face it, not all of them are up to snuff when it comes to certain details. A lot of the time, the item doesn't do the concept art justice because the wrong artist was assigned to it. You could have designed the best hair style ever, but if they can't draw hair, it's going to come out looking like plastic or play-doh. It's funny and kind of sad that I use the term "cash-shop quality", because that implies that they know they can do it, but they won't.

Celestial Spirit

How about a nice plain tunic in various colors? I never found one I liked for my mule.

Cambrie Noel's Husband

Wicked Demigod

Magus
7obias

This is a good way of putting it. Though I always thought that what prevented casual clothing was that they needed a reason (i.e. theme / selling point) to do it and just never had the chance. But now that it's kind of coming from the horses mouth that they "don't know what we're looking for other than facial hair" (which I think is bullshit), there's no reason not to do it.

So putting it all together, what I'd want to see happen:

- Don't over stylize
- Make something you would want to see your man wear (even if it's catwalk material, Fancy doesn't have to always mean Fantasy)
- Make it accessible (either via cash or gold shop... not RIGs / Alchemy)
- and make it cash-shop quality with no strings attached

What I mean by no strings attached is not to have some silly add-on that would have otherwise made the item perfect. Even with some casual clothing for example, we see jackets and shirts permanently attached to each other when there was no reason why they couldn't have been separate. Though this happens all the time, not just in male items.

Most importantly, they need to be designed and drawn by the right artists. Because lets face it, not all of them are up to snuff when it comes to certain details. A lot of the time, the item doesn't do the concept art justice because the wrong artist was assigned to it. You could have designed the best hair style ever, but if they can't draw hair, it's going to come out looking like plastic or play-doh. It's funny and kind of sad that I use the term "cash-shop quality", because that implies that they know they can do it, but they won't.

At least they're now telling us that they don't really know what we want (bullshit or not), and that's a step in the right direction. Who knows what we want better than ourselves? So I really hope that the Gaia staff keeps an eye on this thread!
As for selling point, is that reall necessary? Casual clothes that can be used on any day will always be a good idea.. it doesn't have to be "Men's Spring Collection 2013" or something similar..

Also gotta agree with the cash shop quality, no matter if it's gold shop or not.. Just don't make it a rare item found in RIGs or a super rare alchemy formula that turns up once in a blue moon.

One thing I'm kind of tired of seeing is male items done by the "wrong" artists.. the otherwise so masculine idea behind the item kinda vanishes and we're left with a child-like item, in colors that are hard to match with anything else.. with designs that are far from contemporary.. Not saying I don't like steampunk and all that, but I do not want frilly prince clothing from the 14th century x.x

Enduring Gaian

12,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
When most people complain about more "male" items, half of them actually mean masculine items. Alot of the items being released are no where close to that.

Adephi's Significant Otter

I think one of the bigger issues is that very few items - male or female - actually look good on the male base.
Which is why I'm all about cross-dressing and body mods cool

Anxious Vampire

what 125th said
some people want to look muscular, strong, and badass. not like a kawaii lolita boy.
this not this

most "manly" items make you look like some insane anime character (gravity-defying hair, leg mods that make you look insanely thin, etc)
do you get it now op?
cat_sweatdrop

Fluffy Trash

There's petitions with item ideas on the petition forums, at least the last time I went there I saw great designs besides the beard ones. ninja

But basically, males don't want to look so kawaii as the rest of the community and want more options. So, it's not male items, it's masculine items.

My avatar is one of the few closest I have saved that's fantasy/masculine looking.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff