Welcome to Gaia! ::

In a relationship with a fleshlight

Ladykiller

I want more abs.

I want muscular arm mods that are not suppose to be humorous.

I want more legmods that slim the calf-area, but don't give me tiny feet (cite Friday XIII and Nice Suit for Work for example)

I want more collared, long-sleeve shirts.

I want gloves that get rid of the default ham-fist hands, but aren't dainty (cite Zodiacal Aries gloves as examples). Infact, if you could make flesh-colored hand-mod gloves, that'd be great.

I want legmods/bottoms that show that I have a package. (so far I've only seen the boxer briefs do this)

High-functioning Unicorn

I think most of the case is not about the deficiency of male items,, it's sometimes about the 'manly oriented' users getting tired of pastel-kawaii items 'influx'.

and you probably notice that some of female avatars could look really weird used on male based avatar, especially the mods. while the opposite things seldom happen to female based avatar, somehow almost all the item just fit.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
Kitty Gnar-Gnar
Lazarus Larkin
I love how people are constantly posting EXACTLY what they want

but are still getting told to stop bawwwing and to say what they want

seriously there are SO MANY posts, both here and in SF, where people explain exactly what kinds of "masculine" items they want. If the Gaia artists claim they don't know what we actualy want how about they READ THE THREADS?

The thing is, though, that reliably, every single time a batch of items comes out, even if a bunch of guys were happy with them and they filled petitions, regardless of the actual ratio of masculine to feminine to neutral items, someone will come around complaining about 'girly s**t' and 'Gaia's catering to chicks'

It's part of Gnar's RIG-Day Drinking Game at this point

So?

There are always going to be people who like an item, and always people who don't. That doesn't imply this mass confusion the OP seems tp think it implies.

Buggy Mage

@ Kitty Gnar Gnar: The thing about that is. I always give Gaia credit for doing things right when they do so. And I'm always looking for the masculine items in RIGs that appeal to me and I compare the qualities of all the items. They made quite a lot of really awesome masculine items In 'Ships Happen'.
The two that immediately come to mind are 'V-High Hiro' for the separate pants and shoes and 'Admirable Antagonist', especially for that suavehair style when you give it a trim.
That He-man item 'Master of the Internetverse' is certainly a step in the right direction for muscles, 'Y hands' was very cool for the cartoonish man hands. 'Starish' and 'Ships Last Stand' gave us some nice detailed jackets and pants clothing. 'Balthasar the Bloody' great too, and foe x foe was a cool serving of sleak nuetral fantasy clothing. A very balanced RIG, Thank You Gaia. 3nodding Also that Lunar Snake bundle was an amazing surprise. The masculine item in that bundle was spot on in every way. crying
BUT, even when Gaia does so well ,as they have been doing excellently, it's important to keeping telling them that we still want these things so old patterns dont resurface. We have a ways to go yet before everything is even. We're just making sure that our requests are still being heard is all. smile

Mewling Inquisitor

10,700 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
I learned to live without...

Tiny Wildcat

SlX MACHlNE
I want more abs.

I want muscular arm mods that are not suppose to be humorous.

I want more legmods that slim the calf-area, but don't give me tiny feet (cite Friday XIII and Nice Suit for Work for example)

I want more collared, long-sleeve shirts.

I want gloves that get rid of the default ham-fist hands, but aren't dainty (cite Zodiacal Aries gloves as examples). Infact, if you could make flesh-colored hand-mod gloves, that'd be great.

I want legmods/bottoms that show that I have a package. (so far I've only seen the boxer briefs do this)

All of the above emotion_drool

Wolf

I like girl items the most but I won't wear them.
They're pixelated well with quality and pretty colours.
But male items.... only some of them are cool. Glad we have this Paramour's Break.
It already seems cool since start.

Special Snowflake

jettisoned corpse

I think your current avatar (at least to me) is a decent example of something more on the western or masculine side because of the darker colors/black, the body proportions feel right, and the style of clothing is something I could see a man around my area wearing.

As much as I am happy all items on Gaia work on both gender bases, I think at the same time, if items were locked to only male bases, it would have forced the artists to think of something more masculine specific, instead of just tweaking a female clothing item to work on a male body. I browsed tektek to make a male avatar and most of the items I clicked on at first were female items that can fit on a male base, or frilly elegant "pirate shirt" like items. Or I find decent tops or ok bottoms.. but none of them really match each other. A lot of the leg mods and pants make the male bodies look really out of proportion. Most of the eyes and faces are too girly, overly stylized, or very expensive. Most of the hair are multicolored or very fancy, stylized, wispy, emo, or anime.

If you were just a typical American male and wanted to dress like yourself in real life.. I'm not really coming across much potential here and this is the best I could come up with within a few minutes of looking through some items quickly.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I agree about the facial hair and the chibi proportions. The problem I kept coming to often was that the face was just too boyish so it was harder to make a rugged looking guy or anyone in their mid 20's+ and that I was weary of sleeveless outfits on the chibi form as it looked more bishi again.

I also agree with Fire 0ak about that Summer Camp item. I like muscles, too but that one really isn't good at all.

I'm gonna be lazy (because I really don't wanna go search and upload a bunch of photos on Photobucket), but some game guys that come to mind are the main character from Deus Ex Human Revolution, Francis from Left 4 Dead. I like your Crysis 2 example but the Metal Gear guy comes off more Bishi to me. Commander Shepard comes off good to me. Halo Spartans. Any Star Wars characters. Gears of War (though their muscles are extreme, I do like their armor). I do really like Leon's outfits in your examples. The Armor examples you gave are a bit too overly stylized for my liking, as I'm thinking of stuff more towards The Elder Scrolls.

They're all good though and not seen much on Gaia so I'd be cool with any examples everyone is providing.

I think we could use some really good body mods, though that work with other items and the leg mods need to stop having the crotch come up so high on the male body. The Saint Ciel and Rosa items had no problems making the legs extend down to the limits of the avatar border, so I dunno why to make longer legs for the guys, they gotta come up into the stomach as if the guy got hit in the nuts by a wrecking ball.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. (He aint ever having children).

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. (Where did your crotch go?)

Hmmm, some of the problem does lie with the fact that many items are designed for the female base, and that very little is done to shape it a bit more on the masculine side. However, I do also understand that it's difficult for a Gaia artist as well, as back in the day those with male avatars (some at least) specifically requested that the female mod item remain the same for cross-dressing purposes. That's why we have a lot of more feminine male version side of items. Mainly, it seems to be that people are wanting an item to be designed for the male base then converted to the fem side for a change. Again, it's about balance. I still think that the balance is about right now. It is just a game of waiting for your kind of item to be released.

Why thank you for saying as much, although I do feel this one is masculine it's not the bara that people seem to be asking for, unfortunately uber macho is a pretty niche audience. I think that if people really want it, they'll have to get a petition going to prove that it isn't a tiny proportion of Gaia.

Male leg mods are pretty variable and generally are made for more cartooned avatars, or stylised ones. I don't think there's a serious male leg mod out there. In fact, the reason I use this base is because the proportions are less rounded and chibi. There's definitely a market for general male mods if nothing else. I always have difficulty in making this avatar macho but I'm happy with a general masculinity personally, so I'm not surprised you had some difficulty finding items that went together! Conversely, I've found it easy to make a lady of myself with the items in my inventory alone! XD

As for facial hair I have to agree, no matter what you do thebase is still very youthful and rounded, the only things you can do to make it less so is to cover as much of the head and side of face with accessories like head gear! I think facial hair would look jarring in contrast to the boy face in most cases. Though, if they ever pull it off I wouldn't mind, in fact I'd applaud the feat!

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
Fire 0ak
@ Kitty Gnar Gnar: The thing about that is. I always give Gaia credit for doing things right when they do so. And I'm always looking for the masculine items in RIGs that appeal to me and I compare the qualities of all the items. They made quite a lot of really awesome masculine items In 'Ships Happen'.
The two that immediately come to mind are 'V-High Hiro' for the separate pants and shoes and 'Admirable Antagonist', especially for that suavehair style when you give it a trim.
That He-man item 'Master of the Internetverse' is certainly a step in the right direction for muscles, 'Y hands' was very cool for the cartoonish man hands. 'Starish' and 'Ships Last Stand' gave us some nice detailed jackets and pants clothing. 'Balthasar the Bloody' great too, and foe x foe was a cool serving of sleak nuetral fantasy clothing. A very balanced RIG, Thank You Gaia. 3nodding Also that Lunar Snake bundle was an amazing surprise. The masculine item in that bundle was spot on in every way. crying
BUT, even when Gaia does so well ,as they have been doing excellently, it's important to keeping telling them that we still want these things so old patterns dont resurface. We have a ways to go yet before everything is even. We're just making sure that our requests are still being heard is all. smile

Even pointing out that Ships Happen was actually very balanced, there were still loads of complaints that it has "too much girly s**t" and not enough "manly" s**t. I kind of just rolled my eyes. This year has already given me some neat items- a cool hat, two very nice looking shorts, two more outfits, foe x foe is a very nice hairstyle too.

The Colonial set needs way more colors. It's a very small but very nice and versatile set. I also wouldn't mind recolors of stuff like Unconventional Warrior. ninja

Interesting Entrepreneur

11,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Invisibility 100
I am not for most of the skirts/dresses that gaia comes out with, but I have never liked wearing that kind of stuff so my avatar kinda reflects that.
but I think gaia does the best they can to balance things out.
It's all just a matter of opinion

Buggy Mage

AKB0048
Fire 0ak

Even pointing out that Ships Happen was actually very balanced, there were still loads of complaints that it has "too much girly s**t" and not enough "manly" s**t. I kind of just rolled my eyes. This year has already given me some neat items- a cool hat, two very nice looking shorts, two more outfits, foe x foe is a very nice hairstyle too.

The Colonial set needs way more colors. It's a very small but very nice and versatile set. I also wouldn't mind recolors of stuff like Unconventional Warrior. ninja

I think most of us have a reasonable expectation for the timeline. There has been tremendous improvement but there are still areas that need it.. It will require patience but there's a clear closing of the gap happening. I'm not going to pretend that there isn't still a significant gap but there is a lot of progress going on already last year and this year. The colonial sets were really nice, and we got an epic fantasy beard which is fantastic too. I'll be crossing my fingers for some new goatees and normal beard styles next RIG. 3nodding

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I see some progress but like some people have already posted in this thread, I'd like to see more variety. And they also need to pay attention to colors. Light, pastel colors and victorian stuff are okay but unless I'm going for a cute male avi look I wouldn't really use them.
I'm actually for...sturdier mods and plain designs (though that's not quite weeaboo fashion yaddayadda)
But shouting for "masculine" duds and citing that the ladies get more/labeling that as sexism just reeks of bitter entitlement/real sexism in all its horrible dumbshit notquiteirony

yeaah this horse is beat.
toodles.

Devoted Lunatic

like this madoka thingie? its all based on girl avi's, well i want items like la bella figura, with business/ casual looking legs, dress shirt, yet im stuck with yakisuba, it's hard to make male avi's now, and like the others you mentioned i always thought about making female avi's but you know the trollers get annoying lol, but yeah thanks for putting this up means alot n.n

Tricky Cat

TRVST
like this madoka thingie? its all based on girl avi's, well i want items like la bella figura, with business/ casual looking legs, dress shirt, yet im stuck with yakisuba, it's hard to make male avi's now, and like the others you mentioned i always thought about making female avi's but you know the trollers get annoying lol, but yeah thanks for putting this up means alot n.n

Im sorry but the anime is MAGICAL GIRL MEDOKA.
There was like, three notable males.
Madokas Dad.
Kyouske (dude Sayaka had a boner or two for)
and Red-hair-nomnom's dad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces