Welcome to Gaia! ::

Partying Fatcat

God-the-almighty
Do what you want , I'm not trying to change you, I just don't agree with you. There is a difference. And being good enough to be paid for your art isn't the same as being everything you can be. Hell, I've sold art myself but I don' consider myself a professional by any means. I also don't consider myself as good as I can be. I'm always trying to improve.

The people I'm talking about are professionals, they are published artists whose only source of income is their art. Just because they don't do what you think they should do, doesn't mean they don't want to improve or that they're not improving and it does not mean that they are inferior or "ignorant".

This is the attitude I'm talking about, though. Why are AD regulars so abrasive? Some people get good at drawing without learning the things you think they have to learn, and they're artists who are making a living right now from their art. I don't care what you think is "essential" or "required", they are living proof that there are many ways to learn and become a good artist, and you can't change that.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore, but thanks for reminding me of why I don't hang out in that forum.
i stick to ms/as&r. people are generally nice, rude/beggars are few and far between.

i rarely visit cb/gd, i find it's too cliquey.

i don't really stay and hold conversations in games or amc, but people seemed nice back when i'd actually visit those.

Toothsome Lunatic

11,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
The Writer's Forum is filled with people who think they know what they're doing, and are complete pricks for it, but a lot of them don't know their a*****e from their elbow and I find that poetic justice enough.

I also don't like the Exchange, and I won't go into the CB.

Nicest is Art Freebies. I love making threads in there.

Partying Fatcat

The Gears that Grind
The Writer's Forum is filled with people who think they know what they're doing, and are complete pricks for it, but a lot of them don't know their a*****e from their elbow and I find that poetic justice enough.

Picture Post is like that too. It would be a great place to hang out and get help on your art if it wasn't full of arrogant pricks who think they're the next Picasso.

Toothsome Lunatic

11,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
fuiuchi
The Gears that Grind

Picture Post is like that too. It would be a great place to hang out and get help on your art if it wasn't full of arrogant pricks who think they're the next Picasso.

My personal favourite is the 'I'm a published author so that means I'm right' line of failed persuasion, and then I actually do my research and find they self-published... rofl

Enduring Gaian

fuiuchi
God-the-almighty
Do what you want , I'm not trying to change you, I just don't agree with you. There is a difference. And being good enough to be paid for your art isn't the same as being everything you can be. Hell, I've sold art myself but I don' consider myself a professional by any means. I also don't consider myself as good as I can be. I'm always trying to improve.

The people I'm talking about are professionals, they are published artists whose only source of income is their art. Just because they don't do what you think they should do, doesn't mean they don't want to improve or that they're not improving and it does not mean that they are inferior or "ignorant".

This is the attitude I'm talking about, though. Why are AD regulars so abrasive? Some people get good at drawing without learning the things you think they have to learn, and they're artists who are making a living right now from their art. I don't care what you think is "essential" or "required", they are living proof that there are many ways to learn and become a good artist, and you can't change that.

I don't want to derail this thread anymore, but thanks for reminding me of why I don't hang out in that forum.
You're right about derailing the thread, but I don't get why you are so threatened by the fact someone doesn't agree with you. In no way have I attacked you. Anyway it's probably just as well you avoid the place if your sensibilities are that delicate.

Partying Fatcat

God-the-almighty
You're right about derailing the thread, but I don't get why you are so threatened by the fact someone doesn't agree with you. In no way have I attacked you. Anyway it's probably just as well you avoid the place if your sensibilities are that delicate.

I'm not threatened, and I didn't say you attacked me. I said you were abrasive. And you're doing it again. I acknowledged that several artists learn realism and it is a valid way to learn, I just said that there are also many who don't and they're doing just fine. You're the one who can't seem to accept that.

I'm not personally hurt because a random group of people on the internet disagrees with me. I just don't want to waste my time arguing with people who think they know everything. That's why I don't hang out there. It has nothing to do with my "delicate sensibilities". rolleyes
None, I think you just have to use your common sense.
If you see a thread saying "I want to see your tits"; obviously it is not going to be a great/nice thread.

Invisible Rogue

Any of the sites that have ratings bother me a little, like the Avatar threads and Profile threads, only because I don't see where some people's criticisms come from. Life style discussion just makes me sad just looking at it. All threads have their pros and cons though. Depends on where you feel you fit in. Me, I don't really fit in anywhere. I just lurk. :/ and post at my own risk.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff