Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Dickie Twinkles
Talim-Hime

Back in the day, the writing forum could be pretty vicious to posts of original work, but criticism is not often what someone wants to hear. And I'm not judging, I've been that bratty "aren't I just clever" 13 year old at one point.

Haven't been in there in a while. I'll pop in soon then.

The writers forum is really harsh, judgmental, and fixed in their views. I think everyone there has been too influenced by high school or avoiding RP cliches, they don't realise these "rules" aren't hard and fast for every genre.
For example, if I was writing a fantasy novel then going into great details of a female character's appearance is probably unnecessary. However, when I'm writing about an undercover police officer posing as a teenager her appearance is important. It does not make her a "Mary Sue", urgh!

Talim-Hime

It was actually my ventures into the Writer's Forum and Poetry sub that prompted this Topic.
I enjoy writing poetry and lyrics, and like nothing more than having someone else to play some "Poetry Tennis" with. (where they write something, and I respond based on what they've written)
The trouble comes from the fact that I just like to have fun, and seldom, if ever, write anything even remotely "angsty", which seems to be the SOP of the Forum.
Add to that the fact that I write in an old school, form (rhyme and meter), and my one and only submission to that Forum really put me off submitting any more.

I just started browsing through the Forum again recently, and found that not much has changed; it still seems to be the province of the angst ridden teen and the "high-art" poets, and as such, there's not a lot of tolerance for the court jester. wink

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Karrna
I think all of Gaia's forums can be a bit snarky if you jump in with out reading the rules or knowing what they're about. Most Gaian's tend to be friendly enough though. Different forums often just have a different sense of humour or atmosphere about them.

I quite like people who can be a bit harsh at times, especially if i'm being a fool. I'd rather people say what they're really thinking than fear posting or sugar-coat their every word.

I agree with you for the most part.
I really prefer when people who disagree with me will say so.
I mean, let's face it, I can't always be right, ( wink ) and divergent opinions make for interesting discussions.
Still, I do appreciate it when people make their differences of opinion known civilly, rather than in a condescending, or flat out insulting manner.
It may take a bit more thought to say, "I disagree with your position, and here's why" rather than,
"UR Stooopid!", but I certainly appreciate the people who make that effort.

Watervoir's Husbando

Carnivore

Q&A, my favourite forum in the whole world. Ferreals. People there (both the people asking for help and the people giving help) are almost always kind and patient. It's also a very supportive forum, since everyone's pretty much willing to help each other out and stuff.

I've started to post in Word Games more, it's starting to become one of my favourite forums as well.
The threads in there are engaging and interesting. I tend to abuse the tip button in that forum.
It's always fun to check back and see what people've said about your avatar/write stuff about the avatar above you.

Personally, I think that no forum is exempt from occasional splashes of snark since there's a variety of users posting there.
It really depends on the nature of that forum though, the nuances of them can make the snark really obvious or subtle.

Magical Cat

12,850 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Brandisher 100
People in the ED get way uppity about certain things. They will mentally destroy each other. It can be so brutal sometimes, it borders on funny...

Raider

7,550 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Nerd 50
WideEyed
Karrna
I think all of Gaia's forums can be a bit snarky if you jump in with out reading the rules or knowing what they're about. Most Gaian's tend to be friendly enough though. Different forums often just have a different sense of humour or atmosphere about them.

I quite like people who can be a bit harsh at times, especially if i'm being a fool. I'd rather people say what they're really thinking than fear posting or sugar-coat their every word.

I agree with you for the most part.
I really prefer when people who disagree with me will say so.
I mean, let's face it, I can't always be right, ( wink ) and divergent opinions make for interesting discussions.
Still, I do appreciate it when people make their differences of opinion known civilly, rather than in a condescending, or flat out insulting manner.
It may take a bit more thought to say, "I disagree with your position, and here's why" rather than,
"UR Stooopid!", but I certainly appreciate the people who make that effort.

In forums meant for discussion, like the GCD, I agree; for the most part you should explain yourself.

In forums like the Chatterbox, however, it doesn't matter as much; being called "stoooopid" is all part of the silliness.

I guess it comes back to knowing, or working out, the mood of a particular forum or thread before posting. What's insulting or condescending in one situation may not be in another.

Star-Crossed Cat

12,725 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Nicest..Hmm... The people I meet in Art freebies/Art subforums in general are pretty nice ^^
as for worst...Chatterbox comes to mind, and the Exchange emotion_dowant

Sparkly Smoker

The nicest..? AT definitely. If you dont go in there acting like an ignoramus, Y U NO RATE 10, then its a pretty great place. Ive made so many friends there. heart

The harshest would be a tie between the SF, GD / CB, or here. The GCD can be down right nasty to new comers.

Destructive Bunny

z!F always have helpful people ^^

As for nastiest, Chatterbox and GD
There are some seriously nasty people in ED too @_@

Predestined Survivor

11,525 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
gum disease
Q&A, my favourite forum in the whole world. Ferreals. People there (both the people asking for help and the people giving help) are almost always kind and patient. It's also a very supportive forum, since everyone's pretty much willing to help each other out and stuff.

I've started to post in Word Games more, it's starting to become one of my favourite forums as well.
The threads in there are engaging and interesting. I tend to abuse the tip button in that forum.
It's always fun to check back and see what people've said about your avatar/write stuff about the avatar above you.

Personally, I think that no forum is exempt from occasional splashes of snark since there's a variety of users posting there.
It really depends on the nature of that forum though, the nuances of them can make the snark really obvious or subtle.

I love the WG forum you don't feel like you have to put on your fancy airs to be there. You have to lurk on a forum for a while to get a feel for it.

Watervoir's Husbando

Carnivore

HintOfCholera

I love the WG forum you don't feel like you have to put on your fancy airs to be there. You have to lurk on a forum for a while to get a feel for it.

Exactly, it's a pretty lax forum and everyone seems to be friendly. heart

Blessed Bunny

The most accepting forum I've been in so far is definitely the Art Freebies. I've never loved a forum so much in my life and for the past four+ years I've been a reg in the AT so that's saying a lot.

> A< I mean, I fear to make a thread in the GCD else I wanna get eaten by you guys but the AF I'm just like "HAI GUISE :3 <3"

Kitten

i loooove the SF heart

the GCD is kind of scary, there seems to be some sort of a clique-y system to it. but there are a lot of nice people from here that i've talked to.

i haven't been to the LD in awhile but the last time i went it was terrible. a lot of "LOL just kill yourself" responses. so based on my past experiences, i'll have to say the LD is the worst.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I avoid most of the forums around the site aside from here and the anime forum, and occasionally the Site Feedback or Questions and Assistance. The A/M/C can be pretty bad when there's trolls but other than that it's ok. I haven't run into any mean people here in this forum (or I just don't remember it if I did).

Santiago-kun's Girlfriend

Edgiest Sweetheart

51,940 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
le iggy
The nicest..? AT definitely. If you dont go in there acting like an ignoramus, Y U NO RATE 10, then its a pretty great place. Ive made so many friends there. heart

On the positive side I do agree with you on AT part, even if I do have some... "blah" experiences there since I'm still new around. Some of my friends from AvA do go there, so hopefully I might get to see how they interact. :3

Sparkly Smoker

Mirastella Crowley
le iggy

On the positive side I do agree with you on AT part, even if I do have some... blah experience since Im still a newcomer there. Some of my friends from AvA do go there, so hopefully I might get to see how they interact. :3

Every forum has an a*****e or two in them, that doesnt mean the whole forum is that way. If you come in asking for legit rates and help there will be plenty of nice people looking to help. We dont bite! 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff