Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is there a difference between "n00bs" and "newbs"?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on July 11, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

I've been sparked into starting this thread because of an intelligent Gaian, who, out of chance, walked into a thread of mine when I made the comment,

<center>"There are arrogant n00bs about."</center>

She believed that it was quite wrong of me to have a label on people like that. She believes that there is no difference between a "newb" and a "n00b".

<center>I believe there is.</center>

She called me arrogant for saying that the n00b was arrogant. I'm just going to anonymously quote the n00b in question... This is his first post:

n00b post
who wants to have a RP battling tournament the entrence is 50 gold each the winer wins the pot anyone can sign up so far im the champ my record is:

Wins:123
Losses:0
Draws:1
so i juts want to say that the gold must be sent to me and if we dont have more then 4 people withen the next little bit then you get a complete refund

Alright. Wins: 123.

He may have gotten those wins off of other boards. But not in Gaia. Call me creepy but I checked his previous posts. He has 532 and most of them are just dialogue in random Barton Town.

Also, his Bio:

n00b bio
Haki_River
Ryouka Rei
((Well... you should post your character's profile first of all, so that they know what they're up against))

(wouldnt that take all the fun out but ok
Name:Haki_River
Species:dragon/sand demon/fire demon/cerebrus/vampire/angel/demonic angel
Abilitys:Unknown
Job:Leader of 2 clans out side of go-gaia)

I won't even touch his spelling. Or his grammar. Or even his race. A bio, is short for biography is it not? The official definition of a biography is:

Biography: Courtesy of dictionary.com
bi•og•ra•phy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b-gr-f)
n. pl. bi•og•ra•phies
An account of a person's life written, composed, or produced by another: a film biography of Adlai Stevenson; an oral biography.
Biographies considered as a group, especially when regarded as a genre.
The writing, composition, or production of biographies: a career entirely devoted to biography.

<center>Why do I label this guy as a n00b?

What IS a n00b anyways?
</center>

Typical Bio has to do about the history, personality and special abilities that a person can do, right?

<center> question Do you see any of that? question </center>

Also, his post:

Quote:
"im bord someone fight me!" jumps into the air by pushing the edge of my foot off the table edge pushing it backwards then before i hit the floor rolls so the impact dosnt harm me and laugh"that was fun"

No continuity in point of view. No use of capitalization. No punctuation. No grammar. This shows that he has no command over the English language.

That doesn't mean that he won't ever. But as of the present moment I believe I've seen enough proof to categorize this guy as a n00b. Not the worst case I've seen, but a n00b none the less.

<center>Am I wrong for saying that?</center>

Now... Onto a much brigher topic.

<center>Newbs.</center>

Sometimes, meek, unsure, literate people who stumble across Gaia and want to make this their Roleplaying board of choice. They're only a day old member. Open minded, correct their mistakes, very kind, very nice, very SMART. They're only new. They just need to read the stickies and learn the ropes.

<center>A Newb is NOT a n00b.</center>

Yes? No? What're your thoughts?

And since this is a thread I've created I feel no shame about advertising. domokun This is the thread that the debate was started in anyways.

Sey's Shameless Advert.
<center> question Short on Gold? question

3nodding Feel up to a Good Role Play? 3nodding

domokun Want to see how You Rate against Other Gaia Role Players? domokun

exclaim Then this is for you! exclaim

• r h a p s o d y • in • G •
a gaia wide roleplaying event</center>

Rhapsody in G, or RiG for short, is a MASSIVE RP Event where Role Players across Gaia will congregate for the chance to gain Gold and Glory!

<center>• s t o r y •</center>

Two Durem nobles are willing to pay a LARGE SUM OF GOLD to the Team that can successfully bring them back a legendary stone of power called RHAPSODY.

<center>Can you and your team members win the Gold and get the Glory?
Amount of Prize Money as of Sunday, July 11, 2004
34,ooo gold
</center>

Interested? Want to find out more? Tell all your friends! Everything you ever want to know and more can be found here:
<center>• r h a p s o d y • in • G •
a gaia wide roleplaying event</center>
A newb is a new member. A n00b is an idiot, that chooses to shamelessly advertise in a discussion forum.

4,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
lol, you write to much. I still don't think there's a difference between newbs and n00bs; furthermore, this is a repeat thread. blaugh Or at least, I've seen it many times before.
The questions prejudice can bring about.

How should we categorize our general hate or frustrations against a large group of people that will always be changing?
Like I stated earlier, it was both the thread that the debate had started in and it is also my discussion thread. It's completely tactless to go into another thread and post that, but this doesn't violate the ToS does it?

As owner of the thread I say it's perfectly fine to put it at the bottom of my discussion.

It's one thing to put it at the end of my topic of discussion. It's another to post the advert with no discussion attached to it.
Adison
A newb is a new member. A n00b is an idiot, that chooses to shamelessly advertise in a discusstion forum.

We have a winner.
Adison
A newb is a new member. A n00b is an idiot, that chooses to shamelessly advertise in a discusstion forum.

*Points* I agree

4,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
Sey
Like I stated earlier, it was both the thread that the debate had started in and it is also my discussion thread. It's completely tactless to go into another thread and post that, but this doesn't violate the ToS does it?

As owner of the thread I say it's perfectly fine to put it at the bottom of my discussion.

It's one thing to put it at the end of my topic of discussion. It's another to post the advert with no discussion attached to it.
I wouldn't mind, but that is one big-a** advert. 3nodding Maybe if you toned it down a bit?
Adison

Perfectly summed up, Adison. I was a newb two days ago, but I will never, ever let myself become a n00b.
empte
lol, you write to much. I still don't think there's a difference between newbs and n00bs; furthermore, this is a repeat thread. blaugh Or at least, I've seen it many times before.

Really? I'm not really an ED regular since it's starting to turn into something remotely like General Discussion.

I started the discussion because a person who shall remain nameless unless you want to waltz into the thread that I linked, brought up the argument.
What do I think? That this topic is overdone. That I want it to die and retreat to the lowest level of hell and never return.

nOObs are morons people. Get over it. It will always be like that.

End. Of. Story.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Well, I don't see how this really merits extended discussion, but there are many users who act like the fellow you've described. Either they learn or they don't.

That's not really arrogance so much as pretention and presumption, though.

Shadowy Prophet

You know, Sey actually had an legitimate reason for posting the link she did. If anyone actually bothered to click on it, they could read back a little bit and see the debate there that sparked her creation of this thread.

And, for the record, I'm behind Sey all the way in this.
Kung-fu Devil
What do I think? That this topic is overdone. That I want it to die and retreat to the lowest level of hell and never return.

nOObs are morons people. Get over it. It will always be like that.

End. Of. Story.

I'm going to wait until this is on page 60ish, then necro it just for you sweetie.

-adi

4,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
Yeah, I find this to be kinda funny. But I doubt anyone else would find it amusing. Oh well, at least I have something else to laugh at.

I just wish there would be someone I could rant with on the general pig-headedness of the ED forum.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff