Welcome to Gaia! ::

"A 2% closing fee will be deducted from the final amount of this action when the item sells."

Gaia should KEEP the 2% deduction on market-transactions. (In favor) 0.72377622377622 72.4% [ 207 ]
Gaia should DIS-BAND the 2% deduction on market-transactions. (Against) 0.27622377622378 27.6% [ 79 ]
Total Votes:[ 286 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Cold Guardian

38,000 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Winged 100
  • Magical Girl 50
I don't mind the tax, it is needed. Even if it's fake money and it's just a game, Gaia does for all it's reasons have an economy. Now the taxes we pay don't go to things like paying for new features, like rl taxes do, but it does help quelch inflation, not very well mind you, but it does have a small effect.

On Gaia money comes from 'nowhere' ie games and stuff, but just like irl when you print a lot of money it ends up being worth less. Like for example what happened to Germany after the first world war.

The money needs to be taken out of the system, via gold sinks. The MP tax is one of those. Otherwise gold would be created by the site and given to users via games and such but then if there was no tax or gold sinks, there'd be more and more gold in the system and it'd slowly become worth less and less. 100 gold might have the same buying power as 1 gold did, so something that would have cost you 1000 gold would then cost you 100,000.

Though frankly I think better gold sinks, besides raising the tax on the MP, would be better for helping with the inflation.

Desirable Dark Elf

Hazelaar
Why would joining gaia as a teenager mean that you don't understand how the real world works?

Simple. I was a teenager once myself. I thought I knew everything and everyone else was wrong. I didn't have a job so I didn't really care to understand the real workings of money. And since I don't know you personally, I can only apply my past knowledge to you especially since your rantings justify my thoughts. During the course of this entire thread, have you once thought about why so many people are for the 2% yet you still seem to be arguing against it? Again, the obvious answer is no you haven't.

I see also that you aren't going to listen to anyone here so I'm out. Thanks for the entertainment today but this thread is just spinning its pointless wheels.

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
emosgirl
Hazelaar
Why would joining gaia as a teenager mean that you don't understand how the real world works?
Simple. I was a teenager once myself. I thought I knew everything and everyone else was wrong. I didn't have a job so I didn't really care to understand the real workings of money. And since I don't know you personally, I can only apply my past knowledge to you especially since your rantings justify my thoughts. During the course of this entire thread, have you once thought about why so many people are for the 2% yet you still seem to be arguing against it? Again, the obvious answer is no you haven't.

I see also that you aren't going to listen to anyone here so I'm out. Thanks for the entertainment today but this thread is just spinning its pointless wheels.
...You didn't notice I'm not the OP, did you?

And your argument that 'you were dumb as a teenager so everyone else must have been as well' isn't a persuasive one. I'd also point out that a quick search will reveal that the OP joined five years ago, so there's no guarantee they're even still a teenager.

I'm not saying I agree with him, I don't, I'm saying that if you think someone's argument is weak, attack their argument, not random personal details like age. I've known some wicked smart teenagers and some dumb-a** adults; age isn't everything.

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Wistful Fairy

42,740 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Honestly, the most amusing thing 'bout this thread is all the Gaians who have posted 'bout how this has been discussed before cat_lol

On topic... I'm fine with the tax; as a small few have stated... The tax is 'cosmetic' (superficial) and truly does nothing cat_3nodding
eh it can be aggravating as a seller (the 650K example with 12K being deducted is a GREAT example eugh physical pain), but as a buyer it's helpful. Inflation was ridiculous before the 2% tax was added on. So I'd say the positives outway the negatives.

(And I wouldn't sell anything worth 1 mil gold in the marketplace anyway. The Exchange is 1093284098% better)

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
i m o g e n
eh it can be aggravating as a seller (the 650K example with 12K being deducted is a GREAT example eugh physical pain), but as a buyer it's helpful. Inflation was ridiculous before the 2% tax was added on. So I'd say the positives outway the negatives.

(And I wouldn't sell anything worth 1 mil gold in the marketplace anyway. The Exchange is 1093284098% better)
Really? It seems like the buyers in the Exchange tend to be flippers who always want more than 2% off so they can make a profit. Can you really get a fair price for the more expensive items?

Enduring Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Bidding War 100
Hazelaar
i m o g e n

Really? It seems like the buyers in the Exchange tend to be flippers who always want more than 2% off so they can make a profit. Can you really get a fair price for the more expensive items?

You stay stubborn and only sell what you want; can easily compromise a deal for both of you, working between 2% deduction. It's actually hilarious.

Enduring Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Bidding War 100
emosgirl
This is a rather entertaining thread to read. OP, you do realize that Gaia gold isn't real, right? It's just a currency used to buy virtual items. In the real world, how much Gaia gold you have doesn't mean anything. I realize people use real money to buy items here. I know I have in the 6 years I've been playing on Gaia. But the reality is you sound like someone who wants to be an elite billionaire and have users look up to you. I don't know you so I'm only stating how you're coming off to me through your typing.

You also typed at one point that you began playing on Gaia when you were a teenager. (At least I'm pretty sure that was your post. Sorry if it wasn't.) That means to me you don't seem to understand how the real world works. Economies need to be stablized. The only way to do this is by imposing taxes. It helps everyone. Honestly, I think a slightly higher fee would help Gaia's economy. More people appear to be buying from the MP to get items cheaper than buying them from the stores. That's hurting Gaia's economy but a slight tax increase could help.

As far as older inactive accounts having billions abanoned, I'd like to know how you know that. Did all the people who quit Gaia tell you they were leaving everything in their accounts to screw Gaia's economy? I think the obvious answer is no. I know several people who quit Gaia. They sold or gave away all of their items right before they officially quit. They figured there was no reason someone else couldn't have fun with the items instead of them sitting in oblivion. Another friend died. His brother, after a period of time, gave away or sold all of his items. He was never going to use them again so why not.

My bottom line is this. Yeah, sometimes I think it sucks that I put an item up for auction at a certain price and receive 2% less but those are the rules I accepted before listing.

Don't ever throw the "whatever everyone else says is rule" at me, because I'm almost guarantee to never listen to it; It doesn't matter how many people think something's right; most could've jumped on the bandwagon after a few fancy words were spat, and before you know it, you have an uneducated audience riding on what 2-3 people said..

The only thing I've gotten from what everyone's been saying, is that yes, unfortunately, I'm going to have to resort to auctioning/selling my more valuable items via threads..

Enduring Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Bidding War 100
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Herald of Chaos basically promotes inflation a billion-fold,

Never mind; Keep your deduction..

stare Derp-Gaia is derp

Dangerous Visionary

Gaia should match it to the California sale tax. *gets the marshmallows ready for the flames*

Marytanna's Husband

Perfect Elocutionist

It's supposed to be an anti-inflation.
I think it's working well.
Now that gold sinks are being introduced and Booty Grab + zOMG are nerfed

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items