Welcome to Gaia! ::

"A 2% closing fee will be deducted from the final amount of this action when the item sells."

Gaia should KEEP the 2% deduction on market-transactions. (In favor) 0.72377622377622 72.4% [ 207 ]
Gaia should DIS-BAND the 2% deduction on market-transactions. (Against) 0.27622377622378 27.6% [ 79 ]
Total Votes:[ 286 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Salty Punching Bag

13,700 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Honestly, I think the tax is too low with the massive amounts of gold that's being pumped into the economy through RIGs, zOMG!, and BG. I think maybe a 4% tax would be more adequate even if it's only for a short time.

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Diamond Cache
Honestly, I think the tax is too low with the massive amounts of gold that's being pumped into the economy through RIGs, zOMG!, and BG. I think maybe a 4% tax would be more adequate even if it's only for a short time.
I remember Panagrammic once saying something like if he was ever feeling very masochistic, he would look into raising it to 2.5%. xd

Hot Lover

(naked for achievement; don't mind me)

If the helps take gold out of the economy, I guess it's fine. I didn't like it at first but I've learned to deal with it. You just have to learn to calculate the fee into your item cost.

Heroic Mage

I have never minded the tax, and I generally sell *a lot of things.

It's far too easy to earn gold now, taking some out of the system is a must.

Also, taking a class in college doesn't make you or anyone else an expert. neutral

Enduring Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Bidding War 100
Diet Poison
I have never minded the tax, and I generally sell *a lot of things.

It's far too easy to earn gold now, taking some out of the system is a must.

Also, taking a class in college doesn't make you or anyone else an expert. neutral

Never claimed it did; obviously majoring/degrees would make my input inferior..
but it's not like I'm clueless either .___.

Enduring Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Bidding War 100
Hazelaar
Diamond Cache
I remember Panagrammic once saying something like if he was ever feeling very masochistic, he would look into raising it to 2.5%. xd

That'd be terrifying..

Again, why bomb the market-place because of inflation??

Instead why not distribute a decent amount of gold-dropping to anywhere else.. ?

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
TylerHyperFace
Hazelaar
Diamond Cache

That'd be terrifying..

Again, why bomb the market-place because of inflation??

Instead why not distribute a decent amount of gold-dropping to anywhere else.. ?
Not sure what you mean by "distribute a decent amount of gold-dropping to anywhere else". Do you mean increasing the amount of gold given out by activities (as in increasing "drops" in games)? Or do you mean introducing more gold sink activities (as in increasing the number of ways to "drop"/lower the amount of gold in the system)?

Desirable Dark Elf

This is a rather entertaining thread to read. OP, you do realize that Gaia gold isn't real, right? It's just a currency used to buy virtual items. In the real world, how much Gaia gold you have doesn't mean anything. I realize people use real money to buy items here. I know I have in the 6 years I've been playing on Gaia. But the reality is you sound like someone who wants to be an elite billionaire and have users look up to you. I don't know you so I'm only stating how you're coming off to me through your typing.

You also typed at one point that you began playing on Gaia when you were a teenager. (At least I'm pretty sure that was your post. Sorry if it wasn't.) That means to me you don't seem to understand how the real world works. Economies need to be stablized. The only way to do this is by imposing taxes. It helps everyone. Honestly, I think a slightly higher fee would help Gaia's economy. More people appear to be buying from the MP to get items cheaper than buying them from the stores. That's hurting Gaia's economy but a slight tax increase could help.

As far as older inactive accounts having billions abanoned, I'd like to know how you know that. Did all the people who quit Gaia tell you they were leaving everything in their accounts to screw Gaia's economy? I think the obvious answer is no. I know several people who quit Gaia. They sold or gave away all of their items right before they officially quit. They figured there was no reason someone else couldn't have fun with the items instead of them sitting in oblivion. Another friend died. His brother, after a period of time, gave away or sold all of his items. He was never going to use them again so why not.

My bottom line is this. Yeah, sometimes I think it sucks that I put an item up for auction at a certain price and receive 2% less but those are the rules I accepted before listing.

Wealthy Hoarder

Frankly, I don't care about the 2% fee or tax. If I put my item on the mp. (even a high item) I am making GOLD go out of the system. That is a good thing.

However, in irl I pay tax's out of my butt. So, if's only 2% here? I am find with it.

If you don't like the 2% go to the exchange.

Edit: As to the people who leave items sitting, or gold..Let the accounts be. It's not harming gaia.

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
emosgirl
This is a rather entertaining thread to read. OP, you do realize that Gaia gold isn't real, right? It's just a currency used to buy virtual items. In the real world, how much Gaia gold you have doesn't mean anything. I realize people use real money to buy items here. I know I have in the 6 years I've been playing on Gaia. But the reality is you sound like someone who wants to be an elite billionaire and have users look up to you. I don't know you so I'm only stating how you're coming off to me through your typing.

You also typed at one point that you began playing on Gaia when you were a teenager. (At least I'm pretty sure that was your post. Sorry if it wasn't.) That means to me you don't seem to understand how the real world works. Economies need to be stablized. The only way to do this is by imposing taxes. It helps everyone. Honestly, I think a slightly higher fee would help Gaia's economy. More people appear to be buying from the MP to get items cheaper than buying them from the stores. That's hurting Gaia's economy but a slight tax increase could help.

As far as older inactive accounts having billions abanoned, I'd like to know how you know that. Did all the people who quit Gaia tell you they were leaving everything in their accounts to screw Gaia's economy? I think the obvious answer is no. I know several people who quit Gaia. They sold or gave away all of their items right before they officially quit. They figured there was no reason someone else couldn't have fun with the items instead of them sitting in oblivion. Another friend died. His brother, after a period of time, gave away or sold all of his items. He was never going to use them again so why not.

My bottom line is this. Yeah, sometimes I think it sucks that I put an item up for auction at a certain price and receive 2% less but those are the rules I accepted before listing.
Why would joining gaia as a teenager mean that you don't understand how the real world works?

And the mp tax on gaia serves a very different purpose than taxes in the real world.

And I do want to point out that there are likely billions of gold worth of items on no-longer-used accounts. While there are people you know who stopped showing up on gaia and gave away their items before hand, there are also people who were not so generous or who weren't as certain that they would never return. Additionally, there are many banned accounts with items that are now out of circulation.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hazelaar
And I do want to point out that there are likely billions of gold worth of items on no-longer-used accounts. While there are people you know who stopped showing up on gaia and gave away their items before hand, there are also people who were not so generous or who weren't as certain that they would never return. Additionally, there are many banned accounts with items that are now out of circulation.

But for every inactive account or hacked account that has billions (meaning there was a very significant time investment involved in the account), there are probably tens or hundreds of new accounts created. Obviously all of these accounts aren't going to individually raise billions, but chances are that combined they can re-make the value of that old account! So chances are that removing those accounts from the Gaian economy isn't going to have that much of a net effect due to the popularity of the site, the only thing it does is reduces the number of rare items in circulation, which in turn drives the price of those rare items up, but since those users probably would have just sat on those items for the duration of their time on Gaia chances are they aren't removing anything from circulation that wasn't already effectively gone.

Anyways, OP, to address your points, Gaia never had a system where they charged per listing. The 2% tax was instituted to combat inflation and since there are so many ways around it, I don't see the sense in complaining. If I buy something for 120k and the next-lowest price is 140k, I'll just turn around and sell it on the exchange, where chances are I can sell it for 130k easily.

I don't see it as a penalty, either. Gaia is offering me a free service by allowing me to use their site. Having to pay a relatively small amount of in-game currency for that service doesn't seem too insane, especially because I believe it does help keep inflation under control. Individuals looking to maximize profit are deterred from using the marketplace because of the 2% tax, which discourages users from buying slightly-too-low and selling high.

Because of the massive userbase (yes, it's diminished from a few years ago, but the site is still one of the largest of its kind), I don't think it's necessary to add more gold to circulation. Back when I started in mid-2004, getting the 40k Fairy Wings was a seemingly impossible quest that took me six months of constant posting to buy. Gold used to be so hard to get, which pretty naturally kept inflation under control. Nowadays, I can easily obtain 500k in a day just by playing Booty Grab and fishing- and, let's face it, I'm not even the most dedicated Gaian. As a result, inflation has obviously occurred because of the massive influx of gold into the system! Why would we need to add more? If old accounts leaving affects the Gaian economy by removing gold (which, frankly, I doubt), then I honestly think that would be a positive thing by aiding in keeping inflation under control.

As Gaian gold isn't backed by anything and can be created literally at will (I got gold just for navigating to this page) inflation over time is a natural thing. By creating expensive shops like Dernier*Cri, implementing the 2% sales tax, and otherwise forcing you to pay gold to the site, not the other users, Gaia is working to combat or at least slow this. While yes, it does cut into your marketplace profits, it helps remove gold from the system and keep inflation (at least a little) lower. Which is a pretty nice thing, in my eyes c:

tl;dr I don't think old accounts with locked rare items have an effect on the economy due to the constant influx of new users,

Barton Pirate

17,500 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Elocutionist 200
wonderfinch
Hazelaar

But for every inactive account or hacked account that has billions (meaning there was a very significant time investment involved in the account), there are probably tens or hundreds of new accounts created. Obviously all of these accounts aren't going to individually raise billions, but chances are that combined they can re-make the value of that old account! So chances are that removing those accounts from the Gaian economy isn't going to have that much of a net effect due to the popularity of the site, the only thing it does is reduces the number of rare items in circulation, which in turn drives the price of those rare items up, but since those users probably would have just sat on those items for the duration of their time on Gaia chances are they aren't removing anything from circulation that wasn't already effectively gone.
I didn't really mean that there are a large amount of billionaire accounts left abandoned on the site, I meant that if you combined the values of all the items on banned or abandoned accounts, the total would be in the billions (easily). Sorry if that was unclear.

I wasn't commenting on the effect that items being removed from circulation, due to being on abandoned or banned accounts, has on the gaia economy. I was just countering the person I quoted, who seemed to believe that the vast majority of no longer active accounts gave away their items before leaving, which I strongly doubt is the case.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hazelaar
I didn't really mean that there are a large amount of billionaire accounts left abandoned on the site, I meant that if you combined the values of all the items on banned or abandoned accounts, the total would be in the billions (easily). Sorry if that was unclear.

I wasn't commenting on the effect that items being removed from circulation, due to being on abandoned or banned accounts, has on the gaia economy. I was just countering the person I quoted, who seemed to believe that the vast majority of no longer active accounts gave away their items before leaving, which I strongly doubt is the case.

Ah, I see. I think my argument still applies there? The influx of new accounts generating gold probably more than replaces the value of what's left in those banned/abandoned/long-unused accounts ^^

Hm, I think it depends? I left Gaia for a while a couple of years ago, and I gave away about 100m in items. I didn't think I was going to come back at the time, and it seemed dumb to let all my hard work go to waste- so I used a majority of my items to buy art and gave the rest to my sister, who subsequently sent them back to me when I rejoined the site as she had lost interest in it. Obviously banned accounts aren't going to be able to give away their items, but I've noticed that those who tend to spend a lot of time on the site are more likely to donate to others ^^ Not always, of course, but I think it is pretty common to want to either get something out of your work (in the form of art, etc.) or want to see it go to someone deserving.

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
I don't see it as a big deal.
I honestly forget it is even there xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash