Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do

Turn announcements back on, they're important 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 6 ]
You're fine with just staff updates 0.18181818181818 18.2% [ 6 ]
There's a way to disable GC announcements and I'm about to post it for you and get a bazillion gold in a thank-you-donation from OP 0.03030303030303 3.0% [ 1 ]
do the thing 0.60606060606061 60.6% [ 20 ]
Total Votes:[ 33 ]
1 2 >

Smitten Lover

I've just disabled Announcements in my settings because they're irritating.

However, I'm a little worried about announcements that are actually relevant to the site (for example, zOMG being in maintenance, etc.).

Do I have the right idea in thinking that "staff updates" are actually important whereas announcements are fine for me to turn off and I won't miss anything?

Because the constant barrage of GC updates is really rusting my jimmies. I made the decision not to buy ever again last year, so they're irrelevant to me and hella annoying.

Apocalyptic Lover

I'm pretty sure I've missed things only doing staff updates, but honestly, I don't care anymore so I won't bother going through the announcements.

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Balance Begets Creation 500
  • Waffles! 25
Staff Notices probably wouldn't have mentioned when zOMG! was taken down if they hadn't belatedly decided to take down Back Alley Bargains too. I can't tell you with a straight face that Announcements in general are important, but there are a rare few important ones buried in there.

Wild Animal

39,600 Points
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Miasmal Lake Defender 250
You can always check on the main page for announcements that might be important to you. There's a link to the forum. And then it's as easy as checking for threads by admin or any of the gold-shop NPCs for what's important.

Announcements are usually pretty dry when it comes to anything not related to gcash, so go ahead and turn off announcements.

Skylex Nevaeh's Husband

Shirtless Demon

17,050 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
We can turn off announcements? Wat?

Smitten Lover

Loveparody

go to your account settings

Shameless Nymph

20,150 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Married 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
I'm on a no buy until I pay my credit card off so I might turn them off on mine too. I wish there was a way to block just GC ones =/

Skylex Nevaeh's Husband

Shirtless Demon

17,050 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Wonderland Knave
Loveparody

gaia_nitemareleft gaia_diamond gaia_nitemareright

oh wow. LOL. I still keep mine on since I want to know what's in the CS.
But I didn't know we could do that... thank you. xD

Fashionable Lunatic

Hang on. You can get rid of the Announcements? Because I'm looking at my Account Preferences, and I see that listed under guild options. Granted I don't know a thing about guilds and if that's just where they stuck the option, but it seems weird. So that really works? Because mine's been set to "No" for all eternity, and I still get Announcements.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, because I'm going to feel silly if that's the case.

Time-traveling Senshi

Wonderland Knave
Loveparody

The only announcements you can turn off are those for guilds. I see nothing about turning off site announcements.

Philosophizing Smoker

44,800 Points
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
  • Winged 100
  • Master Slayer 200
"...of the crooked timber of humanity...

I get paranoid about missing things, so I leave them on...
But I don't blame you... they're hella annoying. scream

...no straight thing was ever made."

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
Why would you want to miss out on all those sweet, sweet advertisements? All that witty banter between Jet and, uh... Jet. Just... Jet, talking to himself.

All day long.

Every day.

Anyway, you can't. There is a petition, though.

Bloodthirsty Pie-Maker

I didn't know you can turn off site announcements, but I know you can disable staff notices.

Demonic Lunatic

15,325 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
Basically.

Anything announced via Announcements, you'll either see someone talking about it in the GCD or mentioned in a SF thread.

Staff updates are far more interesting, anyways.

Perfect Saint

I think you've only disabled the Guild Announcements from your settings. You'll need some 3rd party script to get rid of the usual announcements.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff