Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Muse

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I know, I know "Jayce, aren't you the overly attached boyfriend of NPC Ian? Why are you writing about Gambino?"

Because there was a time where the GCD was filled with NPC threads and storyline discussions. Very few people spoke exclusively about the items since the focus was more on community than profit driven. When topics were paragraphs long and noone went TL/DR.

We oldies know, back when we had regular plot, Johnny K Gambino used to be consumed by wealth and priceless junk. His Motto used to be "Buy low, sell high" and that fit perfectly into the marketplace we had here. I found myself using these newfound skills more and more on other sites. s**t son, I'm makin money! (Seriously I sold a $7 pan for $75 recently)

While Johnny was never the best father, he mistreated Gino, was arrogant and unabashedly so, and seemed more interested in appearances than his son as a person. We all loved to hate him and the staff member behind the role play did a very good job on his character. We discussed it, made edits, had fanthreads for him and almost every other NPC. Once there was even a fanthread for Edmunds teacup.

Then Johnny changed, he focused less on profit and more on Science but we didn't know why. Behind the Scenes was a lot going on and we only saw the bumbling egostical blonde beefy Mcbeeferson from beeftown side of him. He was working on something to "Make his son a man" but till now, we didn't know it was fear driven. Johnny was terrified that someone would harm Gino so he worked tirelessly on something that could potentially save his life. This storyline seems to have been long in the making. We all though Zhivago and Von Helson were the bad guys. What if it was Nyx the whole time? pulling the strings from the shadows?

Johnny Gambino was one of the most important NPC's we ever had. He was also the only one the Staff gave a funeral for. We didn't see anything at all for those that "died" during the Labtech attack, the Alien who gave her life to save her brother, and the Elftechs who sacrificed themselves for the good of Christmas. We have had a lot of content in our storyline in the past, Had Gambino not been a part of that, what would the alternate be? If Gaia never created Johnny, How powerful would Nyx be right now had Meili never created the Titans? (And who were the other Titans anyway? and what happened to them?)

Would Gino have even existed? Since Titans can apparently have children, would Gino have been Nyx's kid? (Rosalie and Nyx, crack pairing, HA!) Would Ruby have had to set up shop in Bartontown instead as noone was around to fix the books for her? Would the Von Helson twins have succeeded with their plan and not had a tower fall on them, killing them instantly?
And would Louie and Ian grown up in the Von Helson household and been evil? Would there be nothing in the way of the Elder Von Helson as he bastardized this land beyond recognition? Would Edmund still have saved the Von Helson boys and gotten that scar in the process? What would the Gambino Mansion have been? Where would we have all these dances?

It really makes me think a lot on how important Gambino actually was, Had Johnny never been created things really would be messed up in the world of Gaia. There would be a lot less good in the world and a lot darker than it is now. The fact that we have had peace till now was because of a dead guy we all thought was an a*****e and an abusive father. He's done all he could for Gino and I hope Gino is prepared for what his father set out to do. But while Gambino was a Titan, Gino is like Louie and Ian, Half human.

Will a half titan be enough to defeat this current threat to Gaia as a world?

User Image
Image by Szana

`Hydro
I wish I could say more about Johnny K, but what can you really say about Johnny K that does him justice....but I was particularly sad that the Plot Review thread that used to be a sticky bit the dust.
I can't bring back Johnny, but I can summarize his best moments (with a great amount of help from the original thread). Sure we have the old manga, and I only managed to review the plot's first three years, but those were some great years.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=24483265

Oh and....User Image!!

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Just Remember after his resurrection

Johnny K was Inspired, by a FISH!

User Image

Long-time Pumpkin

He's coming back!~ 4laugh 4laugh heart
X is still around after all, no?!~ redface redface heart
I always thought there was a lot of heart in his character in the early years of Gaia in large part because one of the driving forces behind on of his creators, VO. VO even wrote about how father and son were based in part off of his own relationship with his father. Journal Entry

His father was going through health issues at the time and eventually ended up passing. The emotional nature came through.

Once VO left, Johnny K. Gambino never felt the same to me. I remember how surprised VO was when he stopped in at one point and learned they had killed Johnny K. off.

Creeper Bunny

Krissim Klaw
I always thought there was a lot of heart in his character in the early years of Gaia in large part because one of the driving forces behind on of his creators, VO. VO even wrote about how father and son were based in part off of his own relationship with his father. Journal Entry

His father was going through health issues at the time and eventually ended up passing. The emotional nature came through.

Once VO left, Johnny K. Gambino never felt the same to me. I remember how surprised VO was when he stopped in at one point and learned they had killed Johnny K. off.

...!!! I was gonna say something witty, but then that journal entry made me cry. Ung...

Anyway, don't forget Diedrich wouldn't exist either without Gambino. And he's... left his own unique legacy on Gaia.
...I can imagine some weird, WEIRD overarching plot inolving him Andd Gambino's resurrection.

Sahri's Partner

Dapper Mage

He really is the cornerstone of the plot, whatever else you could say about his character. And you're right, OP...I don't think most of the storylines could have happened without him.

Noob

anyone still have a picture of Mr. Gambino naked xd .. (his a** is showing) I used to have a big crush on him. heart heart

Divine Muse

estrofem
anyone still have a picture of Mr. Gambino naked xd .. (his a** is showing) I used to have a big crush on him. heart heart

You could try Google.

I don't think n***s are allowed here, even of NPC's

Tenacious Hellhound

I can see a retcon on which he knew of his Titan blood and tried to use whacky science to save Gino and the gambino bloodline from moon satan.

Yes... I wouldn't mind that.

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
I wish I could say more about Johnny K, but what can you really say about Johnny K that does him justice....but I was particularly sad that the Plot Review thread that used to be a sticky bit the dust.
I can't bring back Johnny, but I can summarize his best moments (with a great amount of help from the original thread). Sure we have the old manga, and I only managed to review the plot's first three years, but those were some great years.

Oh and....User Image!!

Divine Muse

`Hydro

Oh and....User Image!!

Would it be ok to add this to the OP?

Dragon Storyteller

52,425 Points
  • Heart of a Dragon 500
  • Embrace of Destiny 500
  • Empyrean Scribe 0
Jayce Reinhardt
`Hydro

Oh and....User Image!!

Sure. smile

Divine Muse

`Hydro
Jayce Reinhardt
`Hydro

Oh and....User Image!!

Sure. smile

Thank you.

Party Gaian

20,425 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
It's important to note the very first page of the manga starts with an interview of Gambino Sr. He's a maniac but he's brilliant; perhaps the whole giant story of this site is the legend of gambino + the legacy of his son, and everything else is sort of side-story.

It's interesting to think of the alternate universe in which Gambino doesn't exist. How far back would the changes go? All the way back to the titans? It seems almost unfathomable.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff