Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Lunatic

August Star Of Heaven
xd I enjoy being a monster here in Gaia more than anything

Born this way.

Also, I do hope we have a monster event encouraging all gaians to make monster / hard to define and some what super natural avatars.

Shy Gaian

I've seen some pretty good ones to where I can't even tell if the avatar is male or female.
I probably couldn't do it, but I should try. I've never tried changing my avatars gender before.

Destructive Glitch

i accidently crashed a clam bake thread cus the op thought I was a guy... sweatdrop

Eternal Curse

43,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
I thought Clam bake was the female one.
It's not much of a challenge anymore to make female avatars look male and vice versa. I love it! Not to mention, people don't have to spend much on gender-bending potions anymore. It's great for people who are gender queer too!

Impassioned Misfit

I hate that you used a transmisogynist slur in the title and OP of this thread. exclaim

Eternal Curse

43,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X
I hate that you used a transmisogynist slur in the title and OP of this thread. exclaim

I said it before I'll say it again. There was no intent to insult. In the Anime Community it does not mean the same thing and is not a slur. I'm sorry, I didn't know the word had another meaning in a different community. It's very annoying have people assume I named the topic with the intent to insult.

Kawaii Nerd

13,000 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Timid 100
I'd like to think that my current makes the base pretty ambiguous!

I've switched between bases, but I always stick with the same level of androgyny. I used to be more persnickety about making the avatar look perfectly identical on both bases side by side, but now I just go for the overall look.

btw, using a slur in the context of anime doesn't magically make it not a slur. It still has the same meaning behind it, so it's still not ok.

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
Recca Hino
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X

I said it before I'll say it again. There was no intent to insult. In the Anime Community it does not mean the same thing and is not a slur. I'm sorry, I didn't know the word had another meaning in a different community. It's very annoying have people assume I named the topic with the intent to insult.

no.

just no.

don't marginalize trans people as just being part of a community. they are people and who they are as people is not the same as liking anime. it is a base part of who they are. you used a slur. it's not a slur in one community it's a slur and it should not be used. people have explained that you used a slur. but go ahead and try to defend it more because there's nothing problematic with anime ever rolleyes

jfc why did I read this topic at all

why did I expect more from gaia

Impassioned Misfit

Recca Hino
X_Gokai-Okuzuko_X

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your intent is. Not. s**t. This word IS still a slur, no matter what ~community~ it's in (lmao, apparently being trans is like liking anime?). It doesn't matter if it's drunk people in a bar or weeaboos in a forum saying it. Words do not exist in a vaccuum. And your apology really isn't sincere because you're still defending your use of it. It doesn't ******** matter if you intended to break someone's hand, you still stomped on it and did. Your lack of intentional insult doesn't make excuse what you did, nor does it give you a free get-out-of-accountability-free card. No matter how many people explain it to you you don't seem to get why it's ********] The word is offensive because it is used to misgender transwomen - transwomen are very often treated as men in dresses and it's assumed that they have some sort of malicious intent in presenting as their gender. It is all about the idea that a person is presenting in a certain way to "trap" you. The fact that people keep saying something about this should make you understand that it's still gross. You know what's actually annoying here? People like you pulling this s**t and people rightfully calling you out on it ... only for you to deliver a half-baked apology and putting the strings to paint the people who called you out look like the ones in the wrong.

Eternal Curse

43,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Gaian 50
Okay, no more apologies. Grow the ******** up and get the bloody hell out of my topic.

I don't normally swear but now I'm annoyed. Words are words. The word I used has more than one meaning, and more than one connotation. If you want to imply a connotation that you find insulting then just ignore my topic. This is the GCD. We talk about Gaia here, the real world is for other sub-forums. Gaia started as a Anime community so excuse me for assuming people would assume the same connotation as I do. Apparently there are enough people that get what this topic is supposed to be about, so you and anyone else who's offended can go make a topic in the appropriate sub-forum complaining about how insensitive I am. Please stop complaining here, it's off topic and this is not chatterbox.

HalIows's Wife

Girl-Crazy Wife

I am a transgirl and have no issue with the word 'trap' >_> Basically any word for 'trans' can be seen as insulting if you try.
I personally don't mind the word 'trap' as much as other terms, as it implies the person is actually doing such a good job of passing that they are a 'trap' for people expecting someone of the gender they are passing as. So, it's at least got a half-compliment buried in it. People who know my situation and call me "he" anyways insult me ten times worse then that phrase ever would. XP

Anyways, yes, I use to cross dress my avatar all the time, but it got SOOO easy to do, now I just use the female avatar cause boobs. =3

Tiny Shapeshifter

I'll admit that this is off topic and all that, but dude, I can't help but reply to this "slur" debacle because "context" and "intent" of the usage should be considered, always, as taught by your typical literary classes. I mean, seriously, you don't go around thumbing people down when they talk about a "black and white" color item because "omg, it's racist", so don't go "oooh, you swore" or whatever when people use the word "trap" for general cross dressing on an avatar site. Tmblr (stories of what I hear about them) should stick to Tmblr (those super social righteous folks, for example) because they (at least the most vocal or bad apple ones) are easily triggered by certain words.

Tipsy Exhibitionist

17,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Yen Quest
I'll admit that this is off topic and all that, but dude, I can't help but reply to this "slur" debacle because "context" and "intent" of the usage should be considered, always, as taught by your typical literary classes. I mean, seriously, you don't go around thumbing people down when they talk about a "black and white" color item because "omg, it's racist", so don't go "oooh, you swore" or whatever when people use the word "trap" for general cross dressing on an avatar site. Tmblr (stories of what I hear about them) should stick to Tmblr (those super social righteous folks, for example) because they (at least the most vocal or bad apple ones) are easily triggered by certain words.

The trick is that it doesn't actually have the neutral connotation that you're implying. The OP is basically saying "it's ok if I use the N-word, because in my community of white people it isn't an insult, just a term for a person of color! Lol so it's fine to say" when the word clearly has a history and meaning that makes it not ok to use. People have a right to speak up when stuff like that happens, and OP (and everyone else in the thread) has the option to either 1. be respectful of that or 2. decide to not respect others.

Clearly you feel you have a right to put down people who are upset by the term "trap", but those people who are offended also have a right to tell others when they're being insensitive.

Tiny Shapeshifter

Bambi_Panda
The trick is that it doesn't actually have the neutral connotation that you're implying. The OP is basically saying "it's ok if I use the N-word, because in my community of white people it isn't an insult, just a term for a person of color! Lol so it's fine to say" when the word clearly has a history and meaning that makes it not ok to use. People have a right to speak up when stuff like that happens, and OP (and everyone else in the thread) has the option to either 1. be respectful of that or 2. decide to not respect others.

Clearly you feel you have a right to put down people who are upset by the term "trap", but those people who are offended also have a right to tell others when they're being insensitive.
So what you're saying is that it is best to not bring up certain words due to differences in culture/moral/etc, simply because people have the right to behave whichever way. All I see here (at first) is an endless cycle of bickering from either side when I was only lurking at the time. Some people did take the disrespectful route at first (I'll admit that I was being rather insensitive with my post), but there are certain levels of when someone is considered as crossing the line, and that, is what I consider as important key in a discussion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff