Welcome to Gaia! ::

BigHatt's Rival

Acidic Fox

52,025 Points
  • I'm A Potato 500
  • Tainted Angel 500
  • Double Orobouros 500
I organize by color and natural order- for example, all things in the headgear tab are first, by their color scheme (I repeat the same color order across all tabs).
Within headgear, little barrettes and the like go first, then headbands, headphones, then more serious hats, then masks, then wigs.
As far as EI/CI/ETC- these are mixed in as their own thing, so my items section, for example, goes: simple handhelds, multipose/EI things, pets, companions, backgrounds- of that particular color. If it's something like Mami's hat or Inari's Beads, though, it just gets thrown in as what it is since I know it's multipose anyway.

Once you have it organized, it's pretty easy to plop things in proper place.
I tend to use list mode to see exactly what the function of it is (as some masks are headgear, and some are accessories)- drag that into an already icon-moded trunk, sorting those by which tab they fall under as I plonk them, then switch the main invo to icon, which resets it to the top of the list, and just add them back in as I work my way down again.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

I have like 400 items in my invo and I still find it incredibly hard to organize e-e

IRL Guest

Majority of my invo is organized by type. Mood bubbles, backgrounds, animals, dolls, hats, shirts, etc. I tried doing color but it never works. I know my items by their function so organzing it by color would make it harder for me to find items.
I haven't changed in the last 700 days. Extra attire end up in storage.

Kawaii Spirit

Slick Southpaw
I have like 400 items in my invo and I still find it incredibly hard to organize e-e

Yeah I've got about 500 and I have a hard time organizing them in a way that doesn't leave me searching for an hour to find stuff. It doesn't help that I can never remember what certain items are, like, if I use an item mostly for the leg mod I instinctively go to the bottoms tab, but no, it's like, a hat or something. Grrr.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

mayakko
Slick Southpaw

Yeah I've got about 500 and I have a hard time organizing them in a way that doesn't leave me searching for an hour to find stuff. It doesn't help that I can never remember what certain items are, like, if I use an item mostly for the leg mod I instinctively go to the bottoms tab, but no, it's like, a hat or something. Grrr.

Working on the body hair guide, I sympathize entirely, since there's random fuzz in multipose items that baffle me completely

my only consolation is that I have nothing in my shoes tab cool

Kawaii Spirit

Slick Southpaw
Working on the body hair guide, I sympathize entirely, since there's random fuzz in multipose items that baffle me completely

my only consolation is that I have nothing in my shoes tab cool

Haha I think mine is empty too. I'm always wearing leg mods or shoes that are just poses in EIs, etc.

Aizen Kami's Waifu

Princess Healer

50,700 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Cosmic Healer 200
Aside from dressing up, sorting my invo is my life on gaia. For some reason, I find a lot of enjoyment in sorting things.^^;

My invo goes something like this:
+Formulas
+Recipes
+Un-Equip ZOMG
+Housing
-Tile
-Ornaments
-Lights
-Framed Artwork
-Angelic
-Nightmare
-Food
-Furniture sorted by type and color
+Auto
-Paint (By color)
-Everything else sorted by color
+Donation Related
+Items (Un-equip)
+Item Choice (By color)
+Item Photo
+Package (By color)
+Philosophers Caches (By color)
+Fish Drops (By color and size)
+Consumables (By color and size)
+2k_ packages/boxes (By year)
+Aquarium
-Fish (by color)
-Everything else (By type and color)
+ZOMG Rings
+Tokens, Orbs, Charms, Credits, etc.
+Game
-Ink
-Paper
-Fish
-Everything else (all sorted by color and sometimes type)
+[Animal]
+SDPlus Dolls (By number and type)
+MCs
+EIs
+Rococo
+DC
+Verge
-Mythril
-Brithday crowns
-Everything else by type and color
+HOC:
+Revolution Series
+Birthday
-Crowns
-Capes
-Sashes
-Anklets
-Streaks
+Astra
-Kittens
-Animals
-Food
-Everything else by type and color
+Animals (sans MC, EI, Verge (and it's recolors), etc.)
+Food
+Sponsor items (I pick and choose here...)
+Items
-Backgrounds
-Human companions (Includes MANs)
-Eggs
-Trophies
-Lanterns
-Umbrellas
-Instruments
-Guns
-Fans
-Everything else by color
+Hats (Wigs are typically together)
+Face
+Eyes
+Mouths
+Beards
+Wings
+Garment
+Cape
+Coat
+Torso
+Legs
+Panty
+Belts (Bags typically together)
+Shoes
-Slippers
-Everything else sorted by color and type
+Stockings and Socks
+Neck (This ones is still kind of messy. Trying to keep scarves, necklaces, ties, etc separated but it's hard...)
+Ears
+Hands
+Left
+Right
+Shin
+Tail
+Skin
+Tattoos
+Unsorted xp

Sorting is hard because I have 25 pages for all and 21 pages for equip....
Pages 1-5
User Image

Pages 6-10

User Image

Valiant Jackling

Mine probably isn't as neat as it could be, but it works for me xD

I sort by icon / thumbnail style first, then color - so for tops, all my capes are together, all my long sleeve shirts are together, etc. This way if I need a specific type of items I can find it easily

That said - I tend to throw the freebie duplicates and the rarely ever used items (but I don't want to sell) at the bottom of their given sections so they aren't in the way

As for how things are laid out in the full inventory... I have no give method. I just keep catagories together - all hats are clumped together, all bottoms are clumped together, etc. The exception is gaming, aquarium and housing items because they don't show up on my dress-up page and they have their own tabs anyway.

Party Gaian

20,425 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
for the first two pages, my items are sorted by color. pretty standard. and as time went by and the invo got more neglected, i just figured "eh, just throw stuff in the storage trunk and leave it until the fix comes around."

well, several years without a fix and 7 pages of wearable crap later, it's a mess. it's an awful mess. to try and find something, i just remember what page and when i bought it. honestly, using the search bar is nice but i always forget the variant names of recolors. and things improperly tagged irk me so, so much.

at this point, i probably won't arrange my invo ever again, unless they really do make an automatic arrangement button.

Rainbow Harvester

I tried organizing it by color once
I gave up because the organizer was just too frustrating to use.
now, years later, I have so many items that I don't even try gonk

Sage Prophet

13,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
I think how each inventory is best organized varies from person to person.
All of my items are organized by theme, type and color. But sometimes I need to use other criteria.

For example, if the theme of the item is horror, and I mostly use that item for horror avis I place it with other items I use for horror.
But sometimes an item may have a theme but the pose I use the most isn't very theme specific. In that case the most commonly used pose will determine where I put it. For example, Donna del Carnevalle: the icon is a crown so it goes to the hats tab and the overall theme of the item is Venetian cosplay, however the pose I use the most from that item is the hair and it's not exactly theme-specific, so the result is I didn't place it near the other crowns in my hats tab nor near the costume sets, I placed it near the other hair/wigs.

Items that I use all the time are the first in each tab so I don't have to scroll down for them.
After that I try to organize items first by theme and type of avis I use them for.
I look at each item and I determine which is the the post that most likely will lead me to the item, then I decide if I'm going to place it near items of the same theme or with items that defining pose best combines with. For example, In the Ruhk is mainly a background item, but the pose I'll most likely need to use from that item is the fire stick, so instead of placing this item with the other backgrounds I placed it near my lantern and candle items.

If the item contains major modifying poses like arms or legs I try to keep them together regardless of theme, so for example in my tops tab I have In Silence I kill, In Silence I Judge, Flight of the Highwire, Black Swan, White Swan, Fairy Lumi, Onyx and Ivory Trapeze, and others... all together so that when I need legs that are in items whose icon is a top, I'll know where to find them.

The whole process is so personal though, because it's really about how you would classify items first in your head to know what to look for and how to find it easily when you need it. To determine which poses define the type of item and the type of avis you use it for helps categorize things and organize them more efficiently.

Here's a link to a bigger screenshot of how I organized the over 4000 items in my inventory:

User Image

After organizing everything I don't think I find the inventory arranger that frustrating, but the things is I did it little by little. If I were starting out to organize everything again I think I'd be pretty frustrated. I think the best advice is to plan first how the items are to be organized and then do a little everyday. Once an entire tab is done move on to the next. When all is done it'll feel really worth the trouble, especially when making new avis.

If Gaia could improve the arranger it would be great, and I wish they would allow users to create custom tabs in dress-up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff