Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Drake

Yea I think more art shops will take item bribes. Hopefully the buyer dosnt flake out when they find their POS item is now worth "20m" with one listing *wink* and greedily backs out.

Undead Enchantress

I guess artists are like vendors. The price of their wares fluctuate with the economy even though nothing about the art would change. I can understand that.

The value of their talent and time should flexible, but it does become really confusing in this current tumultuous economic situation. If some artist normally charges a horn of the demon for his art, should that have to change since hotd's are 3x the previous value now? I really can't answer that. I can't be so black and white about this. People are going to have to find a common ground or wait out the inflation until we find a new plateau. However, if Flynn's Body Parts(saw this somewhere lol) are going to be released often, then I can't say I can predict how this gets resolved fairly to include commissioners who keep up with changes.

Lonely Gaian

10,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
You know, you bring up a good point. Some artists and buyers prefer to just use IRL cash, since the Gaian Economy is so wacky lately. I think that might be a way for a number of artists to work around the constant Flynn's innuendo and flash rereleases. The only problem is making sure their store stays within the ToS of the site so that they don't get reported.

This said, do you think that the site might get more upset by artists who choose this route, seeing it as a loss Gaian Cash revenue?

The only other problem is the effort it must require to be set up in a cash situation for art. sweatdrop

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Nii Amikasame
As an art shop owner (on hiatus), I've been worried about this myself. sweatdrop Doesn't help that I'm crap with pricing to begin with haha.

I think I'll likely switch to an auction format with my shop. Fixed pricing is tricky with all this craziness.

I know how you feel.
But I don't think that auction will be a way out of this problem.

For auction you can't just offer sketches unless they are really awesome and you are sought-after artist. Most artist even offer few pieces especially for AB. And for an artist to create all of them or polish his artwork he needs time, something that isn't good for the gold/money in the time of inflation. Also auctions take weeks or even a month or two to end so your current AB may be worth half it's price at the end. Unless you want payment in items.

Devoted Heckler

I've just been on a mini art buying spree for this very reason.

Items will drop in price again (after gold sinks) but artists have egos and I've never known a decent artist ever drop their prices after a rise.

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Icysnowgirl
solorn
I think this problem hasn't yet revealed itself in full.
Sure the most visible change will be rise in prices. But what about other things?

If an artist needs a week to complete commission what he'll do if inflation swallows some of his profits? Auctions are even worse because they take longer. One way out of this situation is that artist take items as payment.
Others may decide is too much of a trouble to draw for gold that is becoming worthless day by day and close their art shops. Maybe only quick ones will stay, like the ones giving sketches and such.
I really like this topic's idea!

â—• How fast will the prices rise if inflation continues? - I think it will depend on the artist and how in touch with the market place they are and how demand their art is in. If you have a slower shop, you might be willing to keep your prices a little artificially low in order to encourage more people to consider picking up a piece. 3nodding
â—• Do you think artist will offer art in exchange for items? - I already do. When the last mini-event, the Valefor event happened, I was so sad I couldn't get the scarf, because it was so pretty. sad So, I went to the marketplace, looked at sellers, and tried to PM one or two to see if any would be interested in exchanging my art for the item. Sure enough, I got lucky and one was willing to! I'm working on her piece right now. 3nodding
â—• Do you think people will be willing to buy art with items? - Sure! I think art for items has been around as long as Gaia has!
â—• Is there another way for artist to bypass this inflation? - Possibly, but I think art for specific items such as X amount of pieces for X item, or only taking on a trade if you know you can complete it within a set time period is possible. The other thing that they can do is hope for tips, but that is far more dependent on the generosity of the person buying the art. sweatdrop
â—• Do you think art shops will start closing? - Some might. Especially artists who were really on the edge of not wanting to work hard for an item or those who got frustrated with leaps in prices but don't feel comfortable charging more themselves. Or they might shift what their shop normally does. Like switching to a bribe shop or doing auctions only.
â—• Will Art Shop forum survive this economy crisis? I believe it will. Not every artist draws only for gold/items. Some of us draw for fun, to relax, to test and improve our skills, and to make new friends! ^^

Thanks.
I thought it will be interesting to see what other people think.

Yes, tips are unreliable. I rarely get them even though my prices aren't high and my art isn't all that bad.

Like you said not every artist draws only for gold/items, but most usually use freebies thread for that and those that spend time and effort on their art rarely can be found in freebies or doing 25g shop unless they offer simple sketches or try to experiment with different styles. And I wonder if Gaia's Art Shop forum will become exactly that a dump for quick sketches if this continues.

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Jinglybell
Yea I think more art shops will take item bribes. Hopefully the buyer dosnt flake out when they find their POS item is now worth "20m" with one listing *wink* and greedily backs out.

Lol.
That could happen. Too many zeros have that effect on some people.

Collector Cutie-Pie

â—• How fast will the prices rise if inflation continues?
I can't say, I'm no economist, but I'd suggest at their usual rate unless more Flynn's whatevers come out. I believe the recent inflation is directly linked to them.

â—• Do you think artist will offer art in exchange for items?
I do? I didn't realise there was anything wrong about this and people seem happy to pay them.

â—• Do you think people will be willing to buy art with items?
They are with mine at least XD I've filled over 5 slots in the last week with them I think.

â—• Is there another way for artist to bypass this inflation?
I don't know, inflation never bothered me as an artist specifically, there are always going to be people who if they are a fan of your work, will do the right thing and offer to tip or pay you well for your unique style. I don't really seek a way to bypass it because I don't notice it.

â—• Do you think art shops will start closing?
Er no? People will need them more than ever to earn a decent amount to keep up with the new economy, unless they are GC buyers which I am not razz

â—• Will Art Shop forum survive this economy crisis?
Of course razz I really don't see why it's such a big deal to artists specifically XD

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Erynne
I guess artists are like vendors. The price of their wares fluctuate with the economy even though nothing about the art would change. I can understand that.

The value of their talent and time should flexible, but it does become really confusing in this current tumultuous economic situation. If some artist normally charges a horn of the demon for his art, should that have to change since hotd's are 3x the previous value now? I really can't answer that. I can't be so black and white about this. People are going to have to find a common ground or wait out the inflation until we find a new plateau. However, if Flynn's Body Parts(saw this somewhere lol) are going to be released often, then I can't say I can predict how this gets resolved fairly to include commissioners who keep up with changes.

Body parts, lol.

If Flynn continues to mint gold coins with no large (and I mean very, very large) gold sinks it will wreak havoc on Mini Shops. I can already see art quality in Art Shops diminishing. Though there could be another scenario.

Undead Enchantress

solorn
Erynne

Body parts, lol.

If Flynn continues to mint gold coins with no large (and I mean very, very large) gold sinks it will wreak havoc on Mini Shops. I can already see art quality in Art Shops diminishing. Though there could be another scenario.
Hope things improve. I want to see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Icysnowgirl
You know, you bring up a good point. Some artists and buyers prefer to just use IRL cash, since the Gaian Economy is so wacky lately. I think that might be a way for a number of artists to work around the constant Flynn's innuendo and flash rereleases. The only problem is making sure their store stays within the ToS of the site so that they don't get reported.

This said, do you think that the site might get more upset by artists who choose this route, seeing it as a loss Gaian Cash revenue?

The only other problem is the effort it must require to be set up in a cash situation for art. sweatdrop

By Gaia ToS you can't solicit for real currency.
You can't make a shop that offers art for real money.
But you can put a link in your signature that leads to a page where you offer real money commissions.

I can see in the future if this continues a lot of art buyers stop buying GCash and decide to pay real money for art. I've been offered to make a gold into rl commission before, because it is more cheaper that way.
I hope they become upset since they made this situation.

They could also make changes so that Gaia Cash is available for trade.
But I wouldn't like that. Because it will make it look like GC is official and only important currency and who knows what other consequences it may have.

Decorated Pumpkin

18,500 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
solorn
Nii Amikasame
As an art shop owner (on hiatus), I've been worried about this myself. sweatdrop Doesn't help that I'm crap with pricing to begin with haha.

I think I'll likely switch to an auction format with my shop. Fixed pricing is tricky with all this craziness.

I know how you feel.
But I don't think that auction will be a way out of this problem.

For auction you can't just offer sketches unless they are really awesome and you are sought-after artist. Most artist even offer few pieces especially for AB. And for an artist to create all of them or polish his artwork he needs time, something that isn't good for the gold/money in the time of inflation. Also auctions take weeks or even a month or two to end so your current AB may be worth half it's price at the end. Unless you want payment in items.

It has its pros and cons, yeah. But I think auctions would be a good way to go if you're unsure of what buyers are willing to pay for art - which is the main problem that I, and other artists I imagine, am contending with given the influx of gold in the market. Basically letting the buyers themselves decide how much they want to pay for the art.

Stellar Succubus

solorn
Bigby_Wolfe
When I sell art I tend to do bribe shops.
So the customer can decide how much they want to pay and I decide to take the order.

Yeah but it still requires a time for you to finish the art.
If you accept few commissions and people send you trades and you finish them in say four weeks marketplace prices will surely drastically change so your last commission will not be able to help you get the item you wanted.

Perhaps it will be motivation for more artists to finish a job in less time, or to provide actual deadlines for themselves and clients?

It will certainly hit harder on less motivated or time-poor artists, at any rate.

Though, with all this extra gold, perhaps more artists are getting commissions as people can just autobuy slots now, or pay massive prices for art straight up.

My freebies remain as free as ever. But I'm s**t so that's the price they'll stay smile

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Fanny Flaps
I've just been on a mini art buying spree for this very reason.

Items will drop in price again (after gold sinks) but artists have egos and I've never known a decent artist ever drop their prices after a rise.

I hope so. But Flynn's stuff gotta go and gold sinks have to be good.

I'm sure they'll lower their prices if they don't have customers.

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
VVhip
solorn
Bigby_Wolfe
When I sell art I tend to do bribe shops.
So the customer can decide how much they want to pay and I decide to take the order.

Yeah but it still requires a time for you to finish the art.
If you accept few commissions and people send you trades and you finish them in say four weeks marketplace prices will surely drastically change so your last commission will not be able to help you get the item you wanted.

Perhaps it will be motivation for more artists to finish a job in less time, or to provide actual deadlines for themselves and clients?

It will certainly hit harder on less motivated or time-poor artists, at any rate.

Though, with all this extra gold, perhaps more artists are getting commissions as people can just autobuy slots now, or pay massive prices for art straight up.

My freebies remain as free as ever. But I'm s**t so that's the price they'll stay smile

That's one good thing about this but it could also result in people rushing their art to meet those self-set deadlines.
On the other hand what will happen to those artists that like to pay attention to the details. Details take time.
They put great effort in they art but at the end they may get bad side of this deal.

Freebies. I think. will not get affected by this.
Maybe some artist that like to practice by doing commissions will now transfer to freebies forum with this new development. I know I will.
There is not time or any pressure there so they can do whatever they want and don't have to think about inflation.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff