Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Fatcat

Hai Guise!

So I'm more of a lurker user. If i post, it's not too frequent. I rarely hang on to discussion in threads (even my own) and usually post and dash. Every since the Tipping system was activated, i've found it as useful as the 'like' button on facebook.

I agree with something on page 5 of a 800 page thread? why quote a stale post? why bump a thread for something as trivial as "i agree, great response" ? Exactly. I figure 25g isn't that much to lose....

Well it's made a dent in my gold stash emotion_donotwant
That's when i realized.... i spend more gold then i make here on gaia, and that's sad :<

So guys,
---Have you every noticed to partake in an activity here, Say The aquariums or Zomg, and you find you put more into it then you get out monetarily?

----Does entertainment weigh in on a greater value then profit, in those cases?

----Is this a sick ploy to try and recoup some of my lost tipping money?

Codebreaking Cosmonaut

Oh god, yes, I have that problem in a big way.
I have a bad habit of buying every moderately cheep item that I can make an avatar around.
So the little, cheep, avatars I make only cost me ~50k a pop, but it adds up!

It wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't so negligent in my booty grabbing, but I get bored with that after only ten minutes. There is only so much booty I can grab before you couldn't convince me to go on with any amount of gold.

Ladykiller

sweatdrop Story of my life. I always cruise around the Exchange looking to buy things on my wishlist just because I could possibly get them for cheap. This is why I never finish my quests. xD

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
Mio_Mikata

---Have you every noticed to partake in an activity here, Say The aquariums or Zomg, and you find you put more into it then you get out monetarily?

Ugh it's like you know me crying It costs about 300-410k per dolphin/airshark and with a tank that has both it cost me around 7M to put my tank together. So far I've only gotten 4M back...
        It's kinda like putting my money into a bank with negative interest.

A Prunny's King

Undead Labtech

71,825 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
I tip like mad and I never notice a dent, I don't see how anyone can spend more then they make though. Since to spend it, you need to earn it first. There is no Gaian credit debt that I'm aware of.User Image

Beloved Noob

___● Always. I'm doing well right now; I have a whopping 19k. emo
The second I get gold, I spend it on my wishlist, which is why I can't ever quest. There just so many pretties!
Denham
Mio_Mikata

Ugh it's like you know me crying It costs about 300-410k per dolphin/airshark and with a tank that has both it cost me around 7M to put my tank together. So far I've only gotten 4M back...

Wow, seriously? How do people even make money off of these tanks? I thought the buy to gain ratio was better than that. Or, at least it was before I left, doop.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Been there, done that.

I tend to sell off items if I'm seriously strapped for Gold. These past couple of days, I've been liquidating my inventory just so I could scrape together 8.5mil for Cartier the Dragon. I managed to get him, but not without losing a Zodiacal (I have two, and I don't use it that much anyway) and a few of the outfits I liked. I still kept the important items for my dragon avatars and one avatar I wear now and again, though.

... In the end, I think it was worth it, but I probably won't see those items again for a while unless I decide to dump some real money into Gaia.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

The Master of Dragons
Been there, done that.

I tend to sell off items if I'm seriously strapped for Gold.
... In the end, I think it was worth it, but I probably won't see those items again for a while unless I decide to dump some real money into Gaia.

This, exactly. I really wanted to get the Interstellar Bounty Hunter thingie item for some time and finally got it by getting rid of stuff I never use.

So it's like..."CLEAN UP + GOLD MAKIN TIME"

but...I buy things in random spurts so I usually have to liquidate inventory to get what I have a hankering for.

xMichikun's Fav

Invisible Hoarder

17,075 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Battle: KO 200
I tend to spend a lot of gold in the Mini Shops, just buying cheap random pieces of art...
Oh boy, does that add up. >_________<
I've stopped for awhile now, but without playing BG once in awhile, I would be stuck at the same total for quite a long time.
I don't like selling my items for gold because most of the ones I have wouldn't make me a profit or they are things I quested for.

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Wistful Fairy

42,740 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
User Image
So, I'm like going to have to totally disagree here cat_xd

I mean, I put nothing, I mean nothing into my Aquarium (if it ain't free, I don't have it... Well, aside from the Liam background cat_redface ) and I get a lot back from it (Overseer gave me 300g about an hour ago) and other Gaian's Aquariums pay for a lot that I own (Got to love BGing cat_xd )...

Furthermore, vending! cat_eek
Vending is the art of buying low and selling high, putting less in and getting more back... Its a sick and terrible process, often akin to day trading with regards to the IRL stock market (except everyone is dressed for Comiket cat_lol ), which can easily make you a lot of gold really quick (vending is, essentially, a get rich quick scheme and, sadly, it works... Which is not a great message to be sending the under 16 IRL, but I also think if you're over 13, you should start learning how to use that good ol' thinkin' machine between one's ears too cat_mrgreen )...

So... Ja... I never feel like I put more in than I get back... At least, unless its RIGs... cat_eek
Seriously, RIGs are the greatest example of not getting your bang for your buck... I mean, sure, 1.49$ isn't much, but if you spend 10$ (well, 9.99$) for 10 of them and get only about 100k total in returns, whereas an MC costing 2.50$ averages around, if not above, 100k each... Ja, you're pretty much screwed cat_xp
...Unless you sell the RIG bundle for like 800k+, because then some other sucker Gaian can get screwed over royally try their luck... I mean, RIGs are, essentially, like those 0.25$ Machines, but with Pachinko Machine style prizes, making it more on par with gambling... You put money in, you get prize afterwards, except these prizes can, rarely, exceed the initial cost dramatically! cat_surprised
But... Those odds are still within the realm of gambling, so... Like a lottery ticket, if you don't buy one, you don't have a chance, but if you do buy one, your chances increased by no more that a fourth of the chances you had before doing so cat_rofl
Ja, talk about the odds being against you User Image

Seriously, aside from RIGs, it is easy to put little to no gold in and get a lot back, but, if you're the adventurous type, I can see how putting a lot of gold in, say, to buy that one RIG in the MP you can't afford with gCa$h, only to get less than a quarter of what it cost back, would make one believe otherwise cat_rolleyes

Reindeer

ugh, encounter this problem all the time emotion_facepalm
emphasis on all the time
Actually, no. Maybe I'm not getting as much enjoyment out of this site as I could, but since we make gold just from hanging out and the occasional comment, I find I am not in the negative.

...maybe I think too small. sweatdrop

Aemon Targaryen's Partner

Tiny Lionheart

A turtle would probably earn gold faster and more consistently than I do, however I'm also a cheap and indecisive gold spender, so it all balances out. It usually takes me forever to make a sizable amount of gold, but I rarely spend it so the number on the top of my screen continues to go up.

IRL Glitch

24,725 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
nubhorns
Denham
Mio_Mikata

Wow, seriously? How do people even make money off of these tanks? I thought the buy to gain ratio was better than that. Or, at least it was before I left, doop.

Yeah since the dolphins and such were nerfed over the summer it's gotten pretty hard to get a decent return on the high trigger fish. I mean there's a pretty good chance I'll break even but unlikely I'll see a profit. Most of the people who make profit are the ones whose tanks are popular enough to get a full game without the owner being online. My best bet would probably be to wait until summer when there's a better chance of getting full games consistently.

meep12345
        User Image
        So, I'm like going to have to totally disagree here cat_xd

I mean, I put nothing, I mean nothing into my Aquarium (if it ain't free, I don't have it... Well, aside from the Liam background cat_redface ) and I get a lot back from it (Overseer gave me 300g about an hour ago) and other Gaian's Aquariums pay for a lot that I own (Got to love BGing cat_xd )...

Not sure if this quote was directed at me or in general, but I was just referring to high trigger fish like Airsharks, Stone Coatls, and Dolphins, which are definitely not free. It's much easier to make a profit with cheaper fish, and for the most part it's impossible to not make a profit with them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff