Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Prunny's King

Undead Labtech

71,825 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
As some of you know I, like a great deal of others hate that fat ball of slime...

Though I hate him for reasons that probably aren't the same as yours. I hate Diedrich because he's giving the real grunny a bad name. To me and those like me, a grunny is a venomous, diseased, parasitic lagomorph that's aggressive and spreads a fancy zombie virus as it reproduces.

Diedrich whatever he is, is none of those things. He talks, he walks, he reproduces asexually, he's taken the freaky factor right out of the little green fuzz balls and made them a joke. (If he really is a grunny, do Diedrich bites cause a freakishly unpleasant form of Grombie-ism?) I don't want him and his kind to replace our beloved grunnies either, I really think that's one of the main reasons I dislike him. Now, if Diedrich wasn't called a grunny but was some other small annoying animal, I might in fact like the little moron. I'm a fan of most annoying characters in shows, I like GIR from Invader Zim, I like those sorts of stupid quirky little characters so I know that's not why I hate him.

Then there's this event though... It's got me thinking "why should I hate him so much?" Should I give him a chance or something because of what they say he is? Reading the header for the event "GRUNNYGEDDON!" makes me feel confused... If you'd come to me in 2006 and said we'd have an event by that name, I'd probably have needed a new pair of panties and seeing new members call Diedrich and his ilk grunnies kind of made my stomach turn, surely they know that those aren't true grunnies! Or do they not?

I mean, we've got a damned Grunny NPC, he's everywhere, you can't be rid of him! Shouldn't I, as a G CORP maniac, as a Labtech for life and Grunny enthusiast love him? Shouldn't I be bouncing off the walls, backing him in every event because he shares a name with one of my favorite parts of Gaia?

I didn't come to this realization until this event. I'd never thought of Diedrich as a grunny. Then seeing the event name, seeing the newbies clamoring over "grunnies" and how cute they are, well, it just... it struck me.

I'm confused GCD, tell me why you love or hate that ball of pudge. Give me your opinions on what he is or what he isn't, tell me please.

I implore you Gaia...
Please don't forget about the real grunnies.
User Image

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Have I ever told you I adore you?

Initially I thought he was humorous, although never really a grunny.

Now I'm just tired of him.

Maybe I resent him for not giving me a Risky Angels item.

No, no... I just hate him.

That and he's ruined the majority of events for the past two years.

Cluttered Browser

26,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I hate him because i'm a hipster and he is really mainstream.

Lunatic

9,025 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
I hate him because he took over all the events and leaves little room for the other NPC's to step up and lead an event.

Tipsy Lunatic

Dear Gaia Staff,
We know you love Diedrich. You've probably thought he was just the greatest thing you've ever created ever since he popped out of Gambino's Urn that April Fools so long ago.
And while many of us have embraced that joke for what it was....
It's time to let it go.
Sincerely,
Most of the userbase

Seriously. I wanna link TV Tropes 'The Wesley' and 'The Scrappy' .... but I don't want anyone to get stuck in an endless wikiwalk.

To be honest, I don't really mind Diedrich all that much.... but even I'm getting sick of seeing him ALL THE DAMN TIME!
There are so many other things that could be done at this point. I can really only hope that his babies lead to something more interesting.

Friendly Trader

12,600 Points
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Generous 100
He's not a true grunny, and he has stolen the spotlight because of his brain!
He's just a fat lump now!
I don't hate him though. He's just trying to spread knowledge!

I do think other NPC's should be given the spotlight though. Becky is really deserving of an update!

In a relationship with a fictitious character

Monster Lover

Maybe they're just trying to mislead us and we're in for an apocalypse.
While I respect your argument as one of the most valid
I like seeing the staff's blatant apathy and fourth wall breaking
So I'll b***h about them missing their chances to give us "serious" plot instead

I mean seriously
Timmy sucks.
why of all the NPCs did you center a halloween event around him?
and what the hell was with those ghosts two years ago?
and why was christmas so...christmasy?
The manga's been completely out there for how long now?

but yeah I'm sure diedrich's the cause
replacing him with another prom would fix everything

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
I enjoy Diedrich, if only because of the really funny forum responses he's made. Other NPCs haven't really done that. Though, I don't consider him a really Grunny, more like some sort of offshoot of mysterious origins. I don't really care whether or not he's in events, though I would actively want him in a storyline that revealed his origins.

Zeren the Morph's Comrade

Salty Phantom

Diedrich doesnt really bother me at all

he never has
yeah its a shame hes taking the spotlight in basically all the events
but i think it may also be because the user base has reacted with such hatred to him
gaia does love to troll the userbase

hopefully diedrich can sit out the next event

the only thing that i dont like about him is his color
his fur is much too bright. A true grunny is a darker shade of green
as a result his items are lime green and red. Not the best two colors to combine so his event items are usually something i never use.
this Easter's items were nice though
but there were no Easter Bunny items so that was a bit annoying
i still dont hate Diedrich though

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
I am quite neutral on him. I think he's funny but I won't miss him if he's gone. I don't mind him being in events but I do feel other NPCs deserve some spotlight.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
In a way the whole grunny situation is a lot like the Gir situation.

See...newer users think of Diedrich as a grunny like how For became that cute thing they sell scene kids at hot topic. A lot of people who like For don't even know about Invader Zim or where the hell he came from.

Sad to say this is how grunnys are going to be....forever the hot topic merchandise of the gaian world. No one will remember the monsters or the original because its taken over by.....fluff....

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
shruikan
Diedrich doesnt really bother me at all

he never has
yeah its a shame hes taking the spotlight in basically all the events
but i think it may also be because the user base has reacted with such hatred to him
gaia does love to troll the userbase

hopefully diedrich can sit out the next event

the only thing that i dont like about him is his color
his fur is much too bright. A true grunny is a darker shade of green
as a result his items are lime green and red. Not the best two colors to combine so his event items are usually something i never use.
this Easter's items were nice though
but there were no Easter Bunny items so that was a bit annoying
i still dont hate Diedrich though

I just wanted to say that green and red are complimentary colors on the wheel.

So they go well together. The saturation on the other hand is...well...I understand from that perspective.

In a relationship with Magica

Shirtless Fatcat

Hes Pikachu.

That thing that is on every ad, in every episode/manga/game/etc, and around every corner.

and yet NOBODY actually likes him.

Magical Cat

Agreed 100%

There's also a petition to get rid of him.

And I said there:
Quote:
I never liked him.
Ugly and obnoxious and ridiculous.
I want the old cute silent grunnies back!/quote]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items