Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sensedog
I don't have a problem with this inflation myself. Sure, my quest for a November 2003 letter was made difficult and more of a challenge, but I still succeded in completing my quest with a little hard work. Imagine how much my OMG hat will be worth in another year. My Angelic Scarf is also now worth at least 500k as a result of supply and demand.

Like it or hate it, inflation will not be stopped. Even if the consumers were to boycott buying those items at such high prices, the sellers can always choose not to sell until they hear an offer that they like. The population of Gaia is always growing, and with it so does the value of the items that are in much lower supply compared to the rest of the items out there.

Normal inflation is one thing. Sometimes there are larger natural spikes, and I'm perfectly content with them. If an item is popular, I expect it to be higher and to have larger spikes. But when something like Bear Pajamas suddenly more than doubles in price (Since I last looked) when so many people hate them, there's something wrong.

There's more to this inflation spike that meets the eye, I think. All the evidence points in my mind to a number of people controlling the economy. And unfortunately, nothing practical can be done that I can see.
Isilvara

You quoted Shakespear!, i love you! heart

xd heart

I actually love Shakespeare quotes ninja

Mind-boggling Mage

InsaneHyperDragon
Isilvara

xd heart

I dont know any of them... xp
Isilvara
InsaneHyperDragon
Isilvara

xd heart

I took to memorizing some of my favorite whee Even a passage from Hamlet, but I've forgotten most of it xd

But I digress from the topic. ninja

Mind-boggling Mage

InsaneHyperDragon
Isilvara
InsaneHyperDragon
Isilvara

xd heart

I took to memorizing some of my favorite whee Even a passage from Hamlet, but I've forgotten most of it xd

But I digress from the topic. ninja
Oh, we wouldn't want to do that... ninja

Hardcore Sex Symbol

12,575 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
InsaneHyperDragon
Normal inflation is one thing. Sometimes there are larger natural spikes, and I'm perfectly content with them. If an item is popular, I expect it to be higher and to have larger spikes. But when something like Bear Pajamas suddenly more than doubles in price (Since I last looked) when so many people hate them, there's something wrong.

There's more to this inflation spike that meets the eye, I think. All the evidence points in my mind to a number of people controlling the economy. And unfortunately, nothing practical can be done that I can see.

It all come down to one thing: Greed. And the thing is, greed is not really against the rules, unless the items in question are store items. Users are not allowed to sell store items for more then their store price, but donation items have no exact set value. The value can be estimated if anything, but it is almost never set at a certain price across the board.

I agree, nothing practical can really be done about it. But then again, I don't disagree with inflation either. If it exists, I am not going to complain. If it can be controlled, that's fine too.

I suppose that I'm mostly indifferent to inflation right now, that's all.
Mister Cactus
Gisella
Well... hard to answer. I'm happy because I've invested in some stuff, but I can't be that happy because a lot of what's happening is artificial inflation. And I feel bad for the people questing who have no chance at keeping up these crazy jumps. :/
Exactly how I feel.

But I figure, it'll all balance out eventually. The prices can only get so high before people stop buying the items and the people who are hoarding start reducing the prices. Well... I hope, anyway. sweatdrop
Hey, maybe EVEN peasant clothes become 100000000000000000% more expensive xd

Undead Enchantress

I see Gaia as a study in real life. No matter what people say or do, they will always make the same mistakes.
Kids here complain so much how the adults ruined their world for them. Bah. Look at the economy? Given a world where potentially they can dictate the trends, they make the same damn errors and cause inflation. II won't even mention sex, drugs and other problems) Kids are no better than adults no matter what they say. Greed rules all. Money is their diety.

Mankind is truly doomed.

Welcome to hell.

Please don't forget to close the door as you enter.
.___. I was happy at first, 'cause I had horns of demon I bought and after a while became un-happy with. So I sold them for 45k, out of pity for those who wanted it o_o Of course I got my gold, and I had fun with it. But it was sold to someone who was collecting them and s/he then put it in their shop for 51k x_x But I still got gold! .... Then I relized if I had wait a week later for more inflation I could've sold them for 100k T__________T Duuuuuude..... ;o;

NekoNick's Compadre

Morwen Laicoriel
xXKujaXx

I think that people who donate to Gaia deserve more then they get. Gaia would not survive without them.

Sure, maybe. But what about the people who can't afford to donate? Gaia's for everyone, not just people who can afford to pay for it...that's part of what makes Gaia great.

Indeed. I would donate if I could, but my dad won't let me. So I buy a donation letter from the Marketplace/Exchange every month. I'm hoping to find a sealed for less than 5k sad

Dramatic Hunter

The inflation made me both happy and sad, happy that my items rose a bit in price, but sad that the NM scarf moved further out of my reach.

I am alos overjoyed that I thought to buy a second pair of horns a few weeks ago, as a backup for this account ._.

Feral Fairy

15,665 Points
  • Team Rina 200
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Erynne
I see Gaia as a study in real life. No matter what people say or do, they will always make the same mistakes.
Kids here complain so much how the adults ruined their world for them. Bah. Look at the economy? Given a world where potentially they can dictate the trends, they make the same damn errors and cause inflation. II won't even mention sex, drugs and other problems) Kids are no better than adults no matter what they say. Greed rules all. Money is their diety.

Mankind is truly doomed.

Welcome to hell.

Please don't forget to close the door as you enter.

A good case to point the next time a GD kid complains about their parents.

Being in Gaia seem to accelerate my process of being a disillusioned corporate drone.

7,800 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
I hate it. This is a borrowed nm scarf. I used to have enough for the scarf but it's price went up up up... Now I will never have my own scarf.
I think that is selfish of you because some people don't have those items and want them, and that makes it harder on them! I hate what it's doing to Gaia; people are dispairing on their quests, the chaos is out there! ok, so maybe not so but it's not THAT far away from that, what concerns me...

Sen Lee's Waifu

Apocalyptic Raider

TriskDaemon
Weeeeelll, I have to say I like it. I'm worth quite a bit now. Sure, it makes it hard to get my D-Tail, but I'll get it eventually. Now, all my letters will be worth something!

3nodding Exactly. That October '04 letter that I got in the Secret Santa thing ended up being a really good gift. And my March '04 letters could end up helping with my quest. It also makes me glad that I'm getting three letters a month now-- one of each item for me, and a letter to hold on to until it gains some more value. wink

...and yes, we're each other's competition on this quest, aren't we? eek

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces