Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Phantom

9,200 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
1-800-OMG-STFU

Maybe, but take me for example... I routinely get PMs asking me if I'm into things like BDSM, or there are those that call me a demon worshiper strayed from the path of God that should burn in hell. The people that avoid me in towns because they assume I am only there to look for a cyber partner and then the people that come up to me for the same reason.

I didn't realize one avatar could cause so much judgmental controversy. xp

Exactly the same thing that you're discussing, but at a much greater level.

So just ignore them or report them for harassment, its a simple fix really. Either that or you can change your Avi if you're that angry about it.
1-800-OMG-STFU

Maybe, but take me for example... I routinely get PMs asking me if I'm into things like BDSM, or there are those that call me a demon worshiper strayed from the path of God that should burn in hell. The people that avoid me in towns because they assume I am only there to look for a cyber partner and then the people that come up to me for the same reason.

Even if you don't want to be judgemental you will probably jump into some assumptions when you see somebody. Want it or not it's gonna happen. If you see a girl dressed in pink, cutesy clothes you'll think that her personality will reflect the clothes she choses. Doesn't matter if it's true or not, you will judge even a little based on the looks.
You can't be surprised when somebody makes assumptions based on your avi, avatars may give certain 'feel', even unintentionally. If it bothers you there's simple explanation, change your looks or try explaining people that you're not what they see on the avatar.

Enduring Sex Symbol

Slider546
1-800-OMG-STFU

So just ignore them or report them for harassment, its a simple fix really. Either that or you can change your Avi if you're that angry about it.

No one said I was angry about it. Just shocked that people could take a virtual pixelated outfit so seriously.

It's kind of fascinating to know I cause such controversy with a mere outfit. xp

Thieving Lunatic

I've actually never run into problems online with people assuming certain things about me. It's probably helped by the fact that my avatars don't stand out in any way that people generally find offensive and I tend to be pretty mild when posting.

The only thing people assume about me is that I'll donate them items/ give them ridiculous discounts on items I'm selling in the MP. But I imagine that they do that to everyone.
Parexus
People think I'm a girl because of my avatar, it doesn't bother me at all but I do get some funny PM's and comments related to that. It's the reason I have my signature as it is, I don't get hit on as often now lol.

It'd make more sense if it bothered other people that you're cross-dressing, rather than yourself.

Cannibal Horsey's Significant Otter

Eloquent Explorer

Espirit dTatame
Bigotry? In the GCD?

Oh dear, what else is new?
•○♣☼♣○•

Lol, my reaction in a nutshell XD

•○♣☼♣○•

Questionable Mage

It bothers me when people justify online bullying by saying "it's the internet, get over it." It's quite a defeatist attitude, as if it's entirely impossible to have standards online. "Oh, a problem. Let's do nothing."

4,250 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Profitable 100
Are you talking about psychology ? confused

Enduring Sex Symbol

Erinnerung
It bothers me when people justify online bullying by saying "it's the internet, get over it." It's quite a defeatist attitude, as if it's entirely impossible to have standards online. "Oh, a problem. Let's do nothing."

Exactly. You get my point. 3nodding

Dapper Genius

7,800 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
Erinnerung

This.
This is why I report the everloving ********] out of it.

I am SICK of this attitude, and I go out of my way to ******** up the days of people who think they can be complete pricks to other people without consequences. No, I give absolutely 0 ******** if people think I shouldn't do that. lol 'Free speech' doesn't entitle anyone to be a cockjuggling thundercunt.

Omnipresent Loiterer

When I go into towns, everyone calls me a "******".

Or they try to, and it's hilarious because it's obvious that they don't know that there is an option to turn off language filters so it ends up like "n!@@er". Then they ask for my devil tail.

Yeah sure let me just send the trade.

I'm not even really black irl. Bigotry does grind my gears, though, so I'm first to report because I at least know not to argue with 11 year olds on the internet.

Considering the average age of towns users, it's really not surprising, though. It's like the kids slinging racial slurs and calling people "f*****t" on xbox live. Kids + Action + No Repercussions = self-entitled unfiltered a*****e brats.

The internet is the same place that's a safe haven for people who believe in having sex with infants, that women want to be raped, that all men are pigs, that muslims should be eradicated, everyone religious is stupid, that gays are disgusting, and that there's such a problem as "men's rights". And they can fester here freely. It's why I don't use sites like Reddit that support this "free speech" that is really just giving a place where these smegma chucks of society can gather and take notes and build strength.
"Free Speech" is not free when it is preventing the equal freedoms of other people.

The "it's the internet" argument is just as destructive as any other dismissive cover-up of things that make people uncomfortable.

Dapper Genius

7,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
dakki-dono

Or they try to, and it's hilarious because it's obvious that they don't know that there is an option to turn off language filters so it ends up like "n!@@er". Then they ask for my devil tail.

I'm not even really black irl. Bigotry does grind my gears, though, so I'm first to report because I at least know not to argue with 11 year olds on the internet.

Considering the average age of towns users, it's really not surprising, though. It's like the kids slinging racial slurs and calling people "f*****t" on xbox live. Kids + Action + No Repercussions = self-entitled unfiltered a*****e brats.

The internet is the same place that's a safe haven for people who believe in having sex with infants, that women want to be raped, that all men are pigs, that muslims should be eradicated, everyone religious is stupid, that gays are disgusting, and that there's such a problem as "men's rights". And they can fester here freely. It's why I don't use sites like Reddit that support this "free speech" that is really just giving a place where these smegma chucks of society can gather and take notes and build strength.
"Free Speech" is not free when it is preventing the equal freedoms of other people.

The "it's the internet" argument is just as destructive as any other dismissive cover-up of things that make people uncomfortable.

I knew you were cool, but that deserves a standing goddamn ovation.

That's it. That's exactly what pisses me off about it. The dogged perpetuation that it's perfectly okay to s**t all over other people's rights. And because it's 'just the Internet', they're above recompense, they're being 'free', and any act of 'censorship' is impugning on their goddamn liberty. When all that's happening is they're not getting what they want, ie. parroting the shitdribbling discriminatory nonsense they've absorbed from peers and media and using it to directly hurt others.

And the idea of not being able to do so offends them.
That internalized entitlement is flat out dangerous to victims.

I've watched people in my social circle regularly join in with the sick culture of places like 4chan, and despite what they may say, it changes them, in their day-to-day life and cognitions even when they aren't 'going along with the joke'. I refer particularly to sexism here, but it carries over just as easily, readily and frequently to racism. That the belief that women- or minorities- are not absolutely equal still exists in [********] doesn't surprise me, but it does sicken me, and makes me think we're not being loud enough about calling it the ******** out.

The response differs between IRL and online, at least. Online, it seems more to the order of entitled supremicist neckbeard ranting with a parade of autofellating self-congratulatory confederates. If anyone needs an example, it can be found in the comments of this article.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19785_5-ways-modern-men-are-trained-to-hate-women.html

IRL, I've had one person attempt to intimidate me recently. Lovely tail-between-the-legs ******** right off back to the wankswamp he crawled out of when I didn't let him win. emotion_eyebrow It's nice to know that the same sorts of people who act like this online are too gutless to carry on with the same gusto in person. *knucklecrack*

... The captcha is 'jerk store'. lol I needed that, because typing all that out and remembering the s**t I've seen had pissed me off. Yes, he DID come from the jerk store...

Omnipresent Loiterer

Luboticus
dakki-dono

I knew you were cool, but that deserves a standing goddamn ovation.

That's it. That's exactly what pisses me off about it. The dogged perpetuation that it's perfectly okay to s**t all over other people's rights. And because it's 'just the Internet', they're above recompense, they're being 'free', and any act of 'censorship' is impugning on their goddamn liberty. When all that's happening is they're not getting what they want, ie. parroting the shitdribbling discriminatory nonsense they've absorbed from peers and media and using it to directly hurt others.

And the idea of not being able to do so offends them.
That internalized entitlement is flat out dangerous to victims.

I've watched people in my social circle regularly join in with the sick culture of places like 4chan, and despite what they may say, it changes them, in their day-to-day life and cognitions even when they aren't 'going along with the joke'. I refer particularly to sexism here, but it carries over just as easily, readily and frequently to racism. That the belief that women- or minorities- are not absolutely equal still exists in [********] doesn't surprise me, but it does sicken me, and makes me think we're not being loud enough about calling it the ******** out.

The response differs between IRL and online, at least. Online, it seems more to the order of entitled supremicist neckbeard ranting with a parade of autofellating self-congratulatory confederates. If anyone needs an example, it can be found in the comments of this article.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19785_5-ways-modern-men-are-trained-to-hate-women.html

IRL, I've had one person attempt to intimidate me recently. Lovely tail-between-the-legs ******** right off back to the wankswamp he crawled out of when I didn't let him win. emotion_eyebrow It's nice to know that the same sorts of people who act like this online are too gutless to carry on with the same gusto in person. *knucklecrack*

... The captcha is 'jerk store'. lol I needed that, because typing all that out and remembering the s**t I've seen had pissed me off. Yes, he DID come from the jerk store...

I told my boyfriend that if he ever so much as referenced a "make me a sandwich" joke, I'd leave him instantly.
Goes hand in hand with "gingers have no souls" and all this "friendzone" and "fake geek" bullshit. It's hate. Indiscriminate discrimination because all the sexually frustrated and/or overly-entitled people out there can force people to listen to them without having to worry about it coming back to them. For everyone who attempts to justify a racist joke by saying "I have black friends" I ask them why they then never tell them when said black friends are around.

I'm part of a motorcycle forum, which you can imagine is a hard place for a young woman to get heard. I purposely never make my gender known because people will straight up take me less seriously. I have to fake my identity because people won't change thoughts that are more convenient and give them more power. Many of them have local meet-ups and I would love to have riding buddies to talk to about bikes and whatnot, but after knowing what they say behind the safety of a keyboard, I don't want to know these ******** people.

And it happens here on Gaia, as well. I've seen it. The same issues someone who puts off a male image is debated with on an intelligent level while someone putting off a female persona is a b***h. Or they're written off as emotionally unhinged creatures unable to function as full humans because of their cursed bleeding genitalia.

Does it happen every 5 minutes? No. And I'm sure none have seen or noticed it. But many more have laughed and nodded. They've told "it's that time of the month" jokes at every hint of a dissenting female opinion that bruises their ego or told them they'd shut them up with their c**k.

"It's the internet," simply isn't a valid excuse to let go of something you know in your mind is wrong but you can't be inconvenienced or risk your image or the attention you garner from others. I've been called a femnazi. I've been talked down on. I've been told to simply "try harder".
No one should have to try harder than another to get to the same level simply because the other doesn't want to help them up.

It's like having someone standing on top of a cliff pissing in your face and laughing about how you'd climb much faster if there wasn't piss in your eyes.

Hilarious Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Simply put , you're being a hypocrite .

Dapper Genius

7,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Loiterer 100
dakki-dono
I told my boyfriend that if he ever so much as referenced a "make me a sandwich" joke, I'd leave him instantly.
Goes hand in hand with "gingers have no souls" and all this "friendzone" and "fake geek" bullshit. It's hate. Indiscriminate discrimination because all the sexually frustrated and/or overly-entitled people out there can force people to listen to them without having to worry about it coming back to them. For everyone who attempts to justify a racist joke by saying "I have black friends" I ask them why they then never tell them when said black friends are around.

I'm part of a motorcycle forum, which you can imagine is a hard place for a young woman to get heard. I purposely never make my gender known because people will straight up take me less seriously. I have to fake my identity because people won't change thoughts that are more convenient and give them more power. Many of them have local meet-ups and I would love to have riding buddies to talk to about bikes and whatnot, but after knowing what they say behind the safety of a keyboard, I don't want to know these ******** people.

And it happens here on Gaia, as well. I've seen it. The same issues someone who puts off a male image is debated with on an intelligent level while someone putting off a female persona is a b***h. Or they're written off as emotionally unhinged creatures unable to function as full humans because of their cursed bleeding genitalia.

Does it happen every 5 minutes? No. And I'm sure none have seen or noticed it. But many more have laughed and nodded. They've told "it's that time of the month" jokes at every hint of a dissenting female opinion that bruises their ego or told them they'd shut them up with their c**k.

"It's the internet," simply isn't a valid excuse to let go of something you know in your mind is wrong but you can't be inconvenienced or risk your image or the attention you garner from others. I've been called a femnazi. I've been talked down on. I've been told to simply "try harder".
No one should have to try harder than another to get to the same level simply because the other doesn't want to help them up.

It's like having someone standing on top of a cliff pissing in your face and laughing about how you'd climb much faster if there wasn't piss in your eyes.

This reminds me of why I hate the Big Bang Theory so much. People around me seem to think it's because 'you're a geek and you don't like being made fun of', but it's because of how Penny is consistently treated like something worthless. Her dreams and aspirations to be an actor are stupid, and irrevocably second to Leonard's, who is a man and 'smart' and therefore superior. Her unmet needs are points of comedic value, and his are dire plot points that need 'fixing'. emotion_eyebrow And it is this exact vein of insistence made time and time again by popular culture that reinforces people actually thinking real life is like this. Entitled behaviour and denigration of others gets punctuated by applause and laugh-tracks, to the point that I feel like it seems expected by some, IRL and online. They treat people this way because they think it's funny and acceptable.

It's insipid. Hell, I used to agree in some ways myself, as a 12 or so year old who hadn't yet learned to think for herself. Once that particular penny dropped, it all changed, but the fact that so many women never push against the grain of how modern society brainwashes them flat-out frightens me.

I'll admit it right now, too, I've used both male and female accounts. The difference in reception between them is absolutely ******** staggering. As a female, I'm more likely to draw blowback and ire, but as a male, the exact same argument draws kudos, and 'brofists' and things of the like. I'm definitely not saying it applies across the board (we are not the only people that GET IT, and this pleases me), but I am saying there is a very noticeable difference to the responses drawn. On a personal level, I get extremely frustrated at the boys' club that is my writing genre of choice, ie. retrofuturism/science fiction/Steampunk. I don't WANT to be forced to use a male- or even androgynous- pseudonym, but it seems upsettingly clear that if I don't do so, my readership prospects and career future are going to be under more risk by comparison. But the more I see, the less I care, and the surer I am that I need to make a ******** stand. Even if that stand begins with an outright refusal to be forced to be anything but myself by bullies. And that is absolutely what that shitty behaviour is.

'It's just the Internet?' It's just my digital fist in your face.
This is the very reason I support the idea of abusive behaviour toward others online becoming very legally actionable. emotion_eyebrow

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff