Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Sex Symbol

What gives you the right to be so judgmental? I know, I know... Anonymity and nobody will know who you are, but damn, show a little decency and respect.

You and your bigotted "friends" are not the only people who come here to enjoy themselves, and you just might be, you know, affecting their ability to enjoy this site. Yeah, yeah, you don't give a s**t.

So... Spoons:

What are some of the most bigoted and judgmental things you have witnessed on Gaia? Careful about your choice of language though! ninja

Do you notice that people judge you based on how your avi is dressed, items you use/buy for it, forums you post in, or other personal preferences you have?

I realize that this happens all over the Internet and Gaia is not unique, but do you find that it happens more or less here than on other forums/Internet handouts (excepting places specifically created for this purpose. We won't go there)?

Do you think the Gaia mods and admins do a good job of policing/preventing this sort of behavior?

Do you think that you might have done this sort of thing before, even unintentionally?

Are there places on Gaia that you avoid because this sort of behavior is worse there than elsewhere?

Karisa_Wolfgang's Princess

Adorable Sweetheart

I see it all the time in In The News forum. Especially a certain few specific users who have quite the animosity toward the US citizens. They hate the US so much, apparently. Will make the most asinine articles over issues that take part in another part of the world and twist it into a USA bashing thing.

I must wonder, if they hate the US so much, why be on an American based website? I'm sure there are plenty of anime avatar forum sites similar to Gaia based where they live.

United Sates is not perfect, far from it, but nowhere on this Earth that is being inhabited by humans is. There will always be good and bad parts, it doesn't exist only in the US(many try lumping ALL of Americans as US citizens too, it's like saying everyone in Europe lives in the UK or something).

You could call me biased since I live in the US myself, but I just find it unfair when people lump millions of people that you'd never met together.
I could do the same very easily, but I know that all of this world has good and bad places to go to. I can be judgmental, I will admit that. I'm only human. But I judge individuals, not entire countries or continents and lump millions under one category just because corrupted and biased media said I can.

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

Everyone judges people.
The least judgmental person still judges people.
It's human nature.
Even going "Hey, that guy has an interesting avatar, wondering if he likes _game_" is judging.

Everyone has a right to do it.
It's just the approach some people take that is bad.

So yes, people will judge me by my sig, profile and avatar.
Do I care? No.

Enduring Sex Symbol

Wow, quite a rant there Sleep, but I must agree with you on that one. If you take issue with us, why surround yourself with the people you hate? What motivates you to do that? xd

Handsome Shounen

17,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
1-800-OMG-STFU
Wow, quite a rant there Sleep, but I must agree with you on that one. If you take issue with us, why surround yourself with the people you hate? What motivates you to do that? xd

They're either trolling or feel a need to justify their hate. Some people are weird like that.

Stellar Succubus

Gosh, you know, I was just in another forum and chanced upon a very poorly worded post, poor grammar, spelling mistakes et al...

I didn't judge them in a negative way, I judged all the people I imagined reading that and sniffing at it. Those that would judge their poor English skills.

Am I hipster? Am I cool for going against the grain? Whatever. I thought I was against judgment. Now I have this misguided sense of superiority.

Pot. Kettle. Black. I disgust myself.

Enduring Sex Symbol

Himemiya Neko
Everyone judges people.
It's human nature.
Even going "Hey, that guy has an interesting avatar, wondering if he likes _game_" is judging.

Do I care? No.

Ah, it's not the action that's at issue, but the extent to which some people take it to. xp

Some people need a reality check and realize that just because it's the Internet that does not make it ok or any more justified for you to act like a douche. ninja

Perfect Pumpkin

Himemiya Neko
Everyone judges people.
It's human nature.

Do I care? No.
I was going to say something along these lines, but I was busy playing Minecraft.

Basically, I agree.

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

1-800-OMG-STFU
Himemiya Neko
Everyone judges people.
It's human nature.

Do I care? No.

Ah, it's not the action that's at issue, but the extent to which some people take it to. xp

Some people need a reality check and realize that just because it's the Internet that does not make it ok or any more justified for you to act like a douche. ninja

But you asked "Do you notice that people judge you based on how your avi is dressed, items you use/buy for it, forums you post in, or other personal preferences you have? "
and "Do you think that you might have done this sort of thing before, even unintentionally?"

My reply fits pretty well in those Oo

Enduring Sex Symbol

VVhip
Gosh, you know, I was just in another forum and chanced upon a very poorly worded post, poor grammar, spelling mistakes et al...

I didn't judge them in a negative way, I judged all the people I imagined reading that and sniffing at it. Those that would judge their poor English skills.

Am I hipster? Am I cool for going against the grain? Whatever. I thought I was against judgment. Now I have this misguided sense of superiority.

Pot. Kettle. Black. I disgust myself.

Sometimes we do things even though we try hard not to. Sometimes we don't even KNOW that we're doing it. Sometimes, it takes a second look at our actions to realize just how much of a subconscious jerk we've been.

Enduring Sex Symbol

Himemiya Neko
1-800-OMG-STFU
Himemiya Neko
Everyone judges people.
It's human nature.

Do I care? No.

But you asked "Do you notice that people judge you based on how your avi is dressed, items you use/buy for it, forums you post in, or other personal preferences you have? "
and "Do you think that you might have done this sort of thing before, even unintentionally?"

My reply fits pretty well in those Oo

Maybe, but take me for example... I routinely get PMs asking me if I'm into things like BDSM, or there are those that call me a demon worshiper strayed from the path of God that should burn in hell. The people that avoid me in towns because they assume I am only there to look for a cyber partner and then the people that come up to me for the same reason.

I didn't realize one avatar could cause so much judgmental controversy. xp

Exactly the same thing that you're discussing, but at a much greater level.

Tricky Cat

1-800-OMG-STFU"
What are some of the most bigoted and judgmental things you have witnessed on Gaia? Careful about your choice of language though! ninja

Do you notice that people judge you based on how your avi is dressed, items you use/buy for it, forums you post in, or other personal preferences you have?

I realize that this happens all over the Internet and Gaia is not unique, but do you find that it happens more or less here than on other forums/Internet handouts (excepting places specifically created for this purpose. We won't go there)?

Do you think the Gaia mods and admins do a good job of policing/preventing this sort of behavior?

Do you think that you might have done this sort of thing before, even unintentionally?

Are there places on Gaia that you avoid because this sort of behavior is worse there than elsewhere?[/quote]

The most bigotted thing I've seen? Over-reactions and possessiveness over items. Another thing I personally hate and think is ignorant is "I'm sassy! Deal with it and be sassy to me back!" I think I've seen two users say this, and every time I just think "its the internet. Sass and sarcasm/over all emotion does not translate well in text." I hate people assuming that their sass is justified because they called themselves out on it.

I think the mods are a little over-protective and baised, favoring long-time posters over newer posters, and dont look at situations objectively, or will over-react and jump the gun. I feel like they should back off and let users sort out their issues, but prevent actual hate crimes.

In general, I TRY to avoid the GCD (I just post, lurk and read) because it feels like people here take the internet too seriously (like is an heirloom or something!) and I try to blacklist as many drama-whores as I can while still being able to find fresh/new topics.
Some users I cant BL because they frequently make item lists (Gaia Item Discussion, anyone?)

Overall, just wanted to say this topic is a breath of fresh air. Thank you for making it, and nice use
kc2tm6yi:0="1-800-OMG-STFU"

Are there places on Gaia that you avoid because this sort of behavior is worse there than elsewhere?[/quote]

The most bigotted thing I've seen? Over-reactions and possessiveness over items. Another thing I personally hate and think is ignorant is "I'm sassy! Deal with it and be sassy to me back!" I think I've seen two users say this, and every time I just think "its the internet. Sass and sarcasm/over all emotion does not translate well in text." I hate people assuming that their sass is justified because they called themselves out on it.

I think the mods are a little over-protective and baised, favoring long-time posters over newer posters, and dont look at situations objectively, or will over-react and jump the gun. I feel like they should back off and let users sort out their issues, but prevent actual hate crimes.

In general, I TRY to avoid the GCD (I just post, lurk and read) because it feels like people here take the internet too seriously (like is an heirloom or something!) and I try to blacklist as many drama-whores as I can while still being able to find fresh/new topics.
Some users I cant BL because they frequently make item lists (Gaia Item Discussion, anyone?)

Overall, just wanted to say this topic is a breath of fresh air. Thank you for making it, and nice username

Dangerous Rogue

Bigotry? In the GCD?

Oh dear, what else is new?

Angelic Healer

People think I'm a girl because of my avatar, it doesn't bother me at all but I do get some funny PM's and comments related to that. It's the reason I have my signature as it is, I don't get hit on as often now lol.

Omnipresent Phantom

9,200 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
People have never gotten along with each other. Its human nature, and ultimately YOU are the one who controls what you care about, let the children be immature while the rest of us act the way adults should.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff