Welcome to Gaia! ::

Etheziel's Husband

Sparkly Unicorn

I don't even know what to quest for any more, everything keeps skyrocketing in price thanks to Flynn's booty . (I'd like to meet these experts who said it wouldn't affect the economy in the short term, gaia.)

But the real source of the problem is gcash. Ever since gcash came out gaia has really gone to hell. It seems like everyday or so there's another cash shop announcement. There has yet to be a playable game to come out of development since gcash came out.

So i ask you, my fellow gaians, do you even see yourself still on this site in 2014?

I've always loved gaia for its content and community, but it seems the content has become nonexistent, unless you count cash shop releases, or specials.

Another thing I'd like to discuss is the god awful vendors in the marketplace.

Undead Enchantress

Didn't Gaia Cash come out in 2007? Seven years seems to be a pretty long time for Gaia to go to hell. I would have thought it be a quicker trip to the underworld. Wait. You're a demon. That means hell is a good thing and Gaia is actually going to a desirable place. eek

I'm confused. sweatdrop

Feral Sailor

10,250 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Profitable 100
  • Elocutionist 200
If the site is still kicking it in 2015 I'll probably still be here.... it would be nice to be able to say I was a member for ten years n__n
Sure I spend money on GCash here and there, if I can. But I don't let my cash consumption rule my experience here on Gaia. I'm not above sacrificing items I already have to the MP in order to get fancy new items. Some of the prices recently are a little crazy, but hey, we can't have everything! That's true in life, and it's true in Gaia. I mean, just because there is a GOLD iPhone 5S now doesn't mean I neeeeeeeeeeed to haz it. I'm still quite happy with my iPhone 5. Ya dig?
As long as I can log on everyday, dress my avatar, buy and sell items on the MP and post in the forums, I am happy.

Explorer

User Image
You are complaining about inflation of the items but ALSO complain about the "godawful" vendors?

You realise that vendors are actually HELPING deflation, unlike those users who make their gold by booty grabbing and posting?
Using the marketplace takes gold out of the system with EVERY. SINGLE. PURCHASE. neutral
Vendors take gold out of the system instead of creating new gold.

I will still be here in five years or even ten.
I would only "leave" if I simply lose interest and forget about the site.
User Image

Shy Cat

15,925 Points
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Pet Lover 100
There have been cash shop items for a while, but they were never so exhorbitantly priced and were never the primary focus of this site until fairly recently. Now they are emphasized above all else and pushed in our faces on an almost daily basis. In the "old days" Gaia occasionally created some nice, well-designed cash shop items for a few dollars, but the emphasis here was always on improving features, building games, getting community feedback on whatever big plans they had, etc. The feeling was always: What can we create or do on this site that would make it more fun for the users? Now it's more like: Buy this cash shop item for $100-$1,000 or pay us real money to play this game while we figure out how to monetize every last feature on this site to get more of your money, and shut down any feature you aren't paying enough for.

Alien Elder

27,440 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Candy Massacre 50
Ven Loraine
User Image

You realise that vendors are actually HELPING deflation, unlike those users who make their gold by booty grabbing and posting?
User Image

Thanks for making me feel I'm guilty of contributing to our shythole economy cause those 2 things (posting and bootygrabing) are my sole source of income here in Gaia.

Don't worry sir, the Aquarium forums are dying slowly. Lesser tanks are popping up and being maintained. More tanks are being phased out. More tank owners are quitting. Less people are grabbing.

Posters making gold are also getting less cause many are also in hiatus or also quitting

kayla wasabi's Husband

Friendly Friend

too much of a habit to quit now
i still like posting and making avatars
til they charge for that or make the site pay to play i'm staying

Demonic Medic

I don't think I'd ever completely quit unless I got hacked/banned and it became impossible to get my account back for some reason.

Alien Elder

27,440 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Candy Massacre 50
August Star Of Heaven
Ven Loraine
User Image

User Image

Thanks for making me feel people like me are guilty of contributing to our shythole economy cause those 2 things (posting and bootygrabing) are my sole source of income here in Gaia.

Don't worry sir, the Aquarium forums are dying slowly. Lesser tanks are popping up and being maintained. More tanks are being phased out. More tank owners are quitting. Less people are grabbing.

Edit: And yes the 100k gold nerf per day which our lovely devs (down from an already paltry 150k) put on Booty grab and reduced number of fishes glowing in groups still does a horrible dent in the economy... talk2hand

Ice-Cold Victory

can't stop won't stop emotion_0A0

No, but seriously, GC has been part of the site for a reaallly long time. It makes no sense to say that the site went to hell back when it was still pretty much in its incipient state. I've stuck around for ten years so I'll definitely still be here in a couple months (unless something disheartening or horrible happens, like being hacked, banned, or killed).

I can't say I like the post-Flynn inflation, and it is disheartening to see the dream avatar I made for my mule go from 1.5mil to +3mil, but it's not going to kill me to work a little harder to earn enough gold for things I really want. Arguably, the worst part about the MP right now is how unstable items all are! Prices fluctuate like crazy so I can't tell if I'm getting a good deal or not! I'm quite eager for more gold sinks, like those MC recolors in D*C, to help balance out the economy quicker.

Ruthless Shapeshifter

settlefish
too much of a habit to quit now
i still like posting and making avatars
til they charge for that or make the site pay to play i'm staying

Pretty much this.
But with how much Gaia is slowly creeping into Pay to Play now...
it almost feels like it's just a matter of time.

: / All these cash based announcements and items now kind
of makes Gaia less appealing to log on nowadays compared to before.
But here's to hoping this is just a phase they'll soon grow out of...
well at least be less aggressive about.

Otherwise I'm staying until they actually boot me out
by turning pay to play. XD

Etheziel's Husband

Sparkly Unicorn

Ven Loraine
User Image
You are complaining about inflation of the items but ALSO complain about the "godawful" vendors?

Using the marketplace takes gold out of the system with EVERY. SINGLE. PURCHASE. neutral
Vendors take gold out of the system instead of creating new gold.

I will still be here in five years or even ten.
I would only "leave" if I simply lose interest and forget about the site.
User Image

Wow, your obviously a dumb a** if you think vendors take gold out of the economy. First of all, Gold never really is removed from the market , it's always fluctuating from user to user. Second of all, the point I was trying to make was how vendors capitalize on set market prices and in turn alter them for profit; or how they take advantage of others mistakes for profit. Although, I will say the tax does somewhat help alleviate the problem, but most vendors I know never really use the mp to sell items. Instead it's used to advertise said item, until they get a buyer, and then they vend or trade said item, thus avoiding that potentially steep tax. If it were up to me, I'd tax any kind of peer to peer exchanging, be it gift giving, trading, or whatever.

Also, I don't make my gold off booty grab. I fish to make mine. Also, I don't see anything wrong with posting for gold. And since you said that, I can tell you've not been on gaia that long. (actually I miss the days when posting and rating avi's were the only way to get gold.)

it is good you will still be here, maybe there is hope for gaia after all.

Desirable Prophet

18,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Well, I've managed to survive this site ever since 2006 (maybe before then...I forgot), and the only thing I've ever really gotten sore about were certain sponsors in the past (Scion with Rally, MTV with Virtual Hollywood, and the like). It was mostly due to the harsh reality hitting me that Gaia seemed to be straying away from it's fantasy role-playing roots and perhaps catering more to modern day "gangstas" and hipsters ninja

Aside from that small rant, I do admit the strong Cash Shop focus and extremely high prices are getting a bit annoying. As of now though, I think the only reason I would strongly consider quitting would be if Gaia were to suddenly become a forced pay-to-play site.

Generous Noob

14,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Generous 100
I do agree with the whole inflation thing. The main items I wanted went from 300k/400k to 900k-1mil, it's ridiculous. I'm sure people are like, "OMG 900k, big deal", though it takes me a while to earn that. I don't know, perhaps I'll be around but just not as active.

A Hoarder

21,525 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Don't look now it's made it's re-return. emotion_facepalm

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers