Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Seeker

13,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Fortuitous Finder 100
- Someone sends you a PM in horrible written english. What's your reaction?
Doesn't bother me, as long as I get the general meaning behind it.

- Someone made a thread, but you barely understand anything. What do you reply?
If I was planning to reply, then I'll ask for clarification of what the person meant.

- People having issues with writing: How do you deal with them and what do you suggest them?
As I said, as long as the overall meaning of the words is understandable, then things like grammar and punctuation really don't matter.

- Do you correct people all the time when you see typos?
No. Life is too short to get hung up on little things like that.

- What did you learn from other Gaians regarding languages and cultures?
As a Brit, I often run into cultural differences from our friends across "The Pond".
(I say sir! Don't you know whats what, wot?)

-=X=-

Personally, I think that "The Queens English" only exists so Her Majesty can cheat at Scrabble. (Making up words.) gaia_crown

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleyways and mugs them for loose grammar."
If modern words and abbreviations can get into the dictionary, then I say the laws of language are pretty flexible.

(Chances are, we'll all be speaking "Panglish" in a decade or two anyway...)

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
You can usually tell if the person is just being lazy. I know someone here in Gaia who has problems in spelling but I can tell he's doing his best so I don't see why other people can't do it too.

I don't have problems with how people write as long as I know what they're trying to tell me.

Telling people that English is your second language shouldn't be used as an excuse. That doesn't also mean you have to have perfect grammar. The point is to not be misunderstood by people and cause problems later.

I suggest re-reading the responses before posting and improving your vocabulary everyday. Corrections from other people shouldn't be considered an insult (just learn how to tell the difference). I've seen some users complaining about grammar nazis although those people were only trying to ask for clarification on sentences they can't understand. And don't say it's too hard. I grew up speaking four languages so just imagine how it was like for me.

Kujura's Other Half

Spicy Friend

36,175 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
I got a message by someone that I just couldn't figure out what it is about.
So I replied that I didn't understand.
After that, he was a bit more clear, but the next message was a mess again, so I got a bit tired of it :/

I'm not that much of a chatty person. So I rarely put efford into understanding a messy pm/post.
My english isn't perfect either, but I try to make myself understandable.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

I don't care if it's got spelling mistakes or english is questionable. I'm from a family of immigrants m'self.

What is an instant-ignore for me is text speak begging.

******** that s**t talk2hand

Alien Invader

I can't say I'm too bothered by it. I choose to type more casually online a lot anyway, unless I'm responding to a more serious topic in a forum like GCD or Extended Discussion where I know I'll get judged for it. lol

casually i'll like not even capitalize my i's or use much grammar
unless it actually slips xD
people have actually tried to convince me that typing this way will affect my ability to write properly
but people who tell me this typically aren't away that i spend 2 hours a day writing and editing novels and short stories
if anything my decent writing habits rub off on the "bad"

I'm usually not too bothered by chat speak and the like--of course I don't prefer reading it. I never fully understood how distressed people get over chat speak, misspellings, lack of grammar, etc. I've yet to run into a post I couldn't understand. I find myself inserting grammar as I read. So my mind constructs sentence structure for them? Maybe I'm just lucky. When I was younger I used to say "I can't understand you!" but that was a white lie just to be an a**.

Dedicated Loiterer

14,625 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
If I can understand the words I don't mind if it has spelling errors or grammatical mistakes. English is also not my native language so I'm bound to make mistakes as well. I just don't like it when people spam smileys or use symbols to purposely hinder clear communication.

Fluffy Glitch

If it was really that important, if they truly want assistance, then they will do their best to spell things out. If I see an effort then I excuse some letters missing, spelling errors, and grammar errors. I'm even willing to excuse some text talk that is used sparingly throughout the post but very little. I usually excuse the text talk when I've done something and someone posts a TY or THX.

Shy Gaian

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

- Someone sends you a PM in horrible written english. What's your reaction?
I don't normally respond to PM's anyways, but if they PM me typing like that I'm a lot less likely to respond.
- Someone made a thread, but you barely understand anything. What do you reply?
I'll reply the best I can understand what they had wrote.
- People having issues with writing: How do you deal with them and what do you suggest them?
I don't suggest anything, it's up to their teachers and parents to do that not me.
- Do you correct people all the time when you see typos?
no.
- What did you learn from other Gaians regarding languages and cultures?
Nothing so far. I sometimes go into the International forum but not for reading about cultures.

Also, I would have had no idea if you couldn't speak english very well. Your OP was fantastic.

Hassli's Spouse

Demonic Sex Symbol

30,990 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I'm a notoriously poor texter, so if I'm on my phone posting on Gaia---my posts are sometimes difficult to read.

In a relationship with A Bunch Of Cats

Mewling Trash

33,375 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Kitten Star 75
cat_redface I tend to have bad grammer and spelling im native to English so I speak it. I get bitched at alot due to it. But thing is I have to survive on my phone for Gaia. And normally I get comments like what are you retarded. They usually shut their mouth after hearing I was in special ed due to issues. But honestly I try. So if people can try like I do than they can but not everyone's perfect.

Dangerous Knight

I don't care how people write, so long as they're actually trying. No one is perfect.

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Eh, I find it's usually pretty obvious if somebody is trying or if they just can't be assed to make their posts understandable. For the later, I usually just skip over them. If you're not going to make at least a little effort to make your post easily understood, I'm just going to skip it. But, that's pretty rare. Typos happen and I'm relatively forgiving in terms of grammar and spelling. I'm not going to ignore a person just because they accidentally used your instead of you're. I'm sure I've done that myself plenty of times. My pet typing peeve is people who alternate capitals when they type. I just... don't get the point. And it's really annoying to read. That gets automatically ignored.

As for those who don't speak English as their first language... I'm usually really damn impressed. The majority of them that I've run into type as well as, if not better than, native English speakers. I would never know that it was their second (or even third!) language if they didn't announce it.

I don't correct people unless they ask, in their signature or OP or whatever, for corrections to help them out.
Elynai

I don't care how people write, so long as they're actually trying.

That's the sole reason why I don't like text-speak in forums; it doesn't seem like they're trying.

Feral Storyteller

If i can read it then i'll give the person's post a shot. The important thing is that there's content behind those words rather than just plain jibberish.

Angelic Nitemare

Slick Southpaw
I don't care if it's got spelling mistakes or english is questionable. I'm from a family of immigrants m'self.

What is an instant-ignore for me is text speak begging.

******** that s**t talk2hand
plz 2 gib meh goldz i r brok bunneh

The way I look at it, you can usually tell the difference between a non-native English speaker, and someone being lazy as heck.

"Sorry, but was does 'factitious' mean? I've not heard it."

(It means something is artificial or spurious, by the way.)

As compared to "OMG quit makin up wurds."

And I can forgive a few typos. I make them myself.

The ones that kill me, are the ones that you can tell are deliberately leaving errors.

It seriously pisses off my inner RPer. I think I smacked the back of someone's head the other day and told them to figure out what the shift key is for.

And then you have English as a second language folks who ARE lazy. OH SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP, that bugs the tar out of me. Why would you learn a second language, and then halfway use it?!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff