Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think Gaia is better back in the day or now? Overall. Not just certain things.

Yes 0.48 48.0% [ 24 ]
No 0.52 52.0% [ 26 ]
Total Votes:[ 50 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Greedy Capitalist

19,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
Rilech

I don't see how releasing the marriage feature is suddenly showing Gaia is out of touch and 'ruining the site'.
          I mean, people/users have been wanting to be able to marry other users for YEARS. There were multiple threads
          dedicated to marrying one user to another, and people paid gold for that s**t. In those days, though, there would
          be people who would refuse certain couples because of their gender or the gender of their avies. With this feature-
          not an issue. Back to the point though, giving the users a feature they have been requesting for an extended period
          and even allowing it to tie into new updates on the site by linking it with the achievements, and allowing a custom
          title choice of partner/wife/husband is hardly losing touch with it's userbase. It's actually listening to it and even
          picking an awesome time to release it. What better way to celebrate a Gaiaversary than by giving the users something
          that they wanted and that's lighthearted and fun? It's not like a massive site-changing update, but it's something
          that people have wanted and it's simple. Why would that be a bad thing?

You might not personally like it or be interested in it, but not everyone likes every item released either. That doesn't
          mean the item is trash and shouldn't have been released for other people to enjoy. It just means it's not something
          for you. : T

Unfortunately, Gaia can't please everyone all the time.

Honestly, I thought that a lot of roleplayers would like the marriage function Gaia added. Since declaring my eternal love for someone online isn't my speed, I don't think much of it either way, but like Rilech said, I'm not sure how Gaia creating a marriage function makes the website not fun.

Trash Vampire

Lorennland
Abbacus
Lorennland
Abbacus
Lorennland
These are the best of days- in the "good ole days" we would get updates maybe once a week , barely any new items, and obvis shitty quality.

the only thing i miss was all the EI's now we only have like one or two floating
Once a week? Pshhhh
Once every month or two, maybe...

God I remember when shop updates were a huge deal because they were so rare... gonk

shop updates are still rare tho lol lol
Hell nah, man, not compared to back then. lol
We get gold updates monthly and cash updates daily. New items are released literally every day. I remember a time when a gold shop update (all we had) was like... god, I feel like it was barely a few times a year? I don't remember them happening terribly often. Definitely no where near the rate we have now. You had the same old same old and then a few event things sprinkled in once every few months. That was it.
You kids these days are so spoiled! You don't know how good you have it. emotion_donotwant

them newlings its that new generation i swear
back in my day grass skirts and stripped stockings were all we wore
Don't forget buck teeth. You weren't cool if you didn't have an obscene overbite.

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Abbacus
Lorennland
Abbacus
Lorennland
Abbacus
Lorennland
These are the best of days- in the "good ole days" we would get updates maybe once a week , barely any new items, and obvis shitty quality.

the only thing i miss was all the EI's now we only have like one or two floating
Once a week? Pshhhh
Once every month or two, maybe...

God I remember when shop updates were a huge deal because they were so rare... gonk

shop updates are still rare tho lol lol
Hell nah, man, not compared to back then. lol
We get gold updates monthly and cash updates daily. New items are released literally every day. I remember a time when a gold shop update (all we had) was like... god, I feel like it was barely a few times a year? I don't remember them happening terribly often. Definitely no where near the rate we have now. You had the same old same old and then a few event things sprinkled in once every few months. That was it.
You kids these days are so spoiled! You don't know how good you have it. emotion_donotwant

Don't forget buck teeth. You weren't cool if you didn't have an obscene overbite.

oh ofc and i remember always questing that xs gaia tee shirt and that fugly blanket thingy

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
Ridley Starsmore
Kid Jak
Ridley Starsmore
Actually, I do talk to folks about it.

Especially when they see my Gaia ballcap.

And now I am just jealous of your ballcap stare

Yeah, if I wear it out, one out of three trips, I get someone going "Ok, who are you on Gaia?"

Then I tell them and then they call BS.

Like, who in the hell would pretend to be me?-lol-

I wanna make a lifesized replica of the emeraldback lion mask and go out now to a convention just to see if anyone recognises gaia.

31,575 Points
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
You should post it in the site feedback, or i don't know, because i don't really get it what would you like to discuss about. You put the marriage in red, but your other sentences are about totally different themes.

Anyway, i loved the old days, and what we had back then, i wish we could get it back, but that's the past, and now we have something other. But at the same time, i love the current Gaia, that's why i'm still here. Even if i don't always get what is gaia doing. But it's okay, everything has it's own tops and downs.
And i'm always complaining about what we don't get as a paws, but i don't pay, so why would they make something for me?

And about the marriage. There were a lot of gaians asking for it like ages ago, and finally they got it! I don't know why bothers it you, if you don't want to use it, then ignore it! A lot of gaians are happy with it, so get over it and enjoy what you like here! wink

Surl E Dean's Fangirl

Invisible Lunatic

23,025 Points
  • NPCon Fanatic 500
  • NPCon Attendee 100
sterek
I initially didn't like the idea of a Marriage system for a bunch of reasons, the main one being that I thought it would require much more development (a Towns presence, for instance, or marriage "perks" that would affect account/inventory structure). Marriages are a "useless" feature, yes, but it's a small addition so I see why it was prioritized now, especially since it's something a lot of users have asked for in the past. Do we need it? No, because it doesn't really affect anyone's experience of the site. Are people happy about it? Yes, for the most part, and that alone justifies it.

Now, if the Marriage system had been launched with a dozen related programming-heavy features, I'd be upset too because it would be bad prioritizing. I think we collectively agree that fixing/improving necessary features is more important than launching new ones. However, it's not the case. It's just a fun little addition that a lot of users enjoy, and I don't see a downside to it.

I agree with all of this. I think it was smart of Gaia to do small features like this where it addresses something people have wanted for a long time and on a way that doesn't become a dusty relic because their track record with maintaining and upgrading is lousy. I think Gaia needs to concentrate on the smaller stuff for the time being that help promote community and customer retention (as people are feeling nostalgic or want to use the feature in various ways).
=====
Now on to other thoughts...
The concern of possible work it could lend to mods is something I see as this: there had been people who have been harassed and the like for petty reasons. So basically that one Gaia would have caused problems anyways and this feature simply be one reason of many possible reasons.

As for influence of the cash shop, since it is a gold system the only influence is the items and bundles etc that are released in the cash shop. There's one in there presently but that's part of the course with how there will always be a cash shop influence but at least we do have various wedding items (mc's and gold shop wedding items including tuxes, wedding gowns, jewelry, floral bouquets etc).

Fashionable Noob

11,625 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lorennland

I remember when complex shirts came out. And they were like, the coolest s**t ever.

Sparkling Trash

20,525 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
  • Noble Shade 100
Nemariel
Lorennland

I remember when complex shirts came out. And they were like, the coolest s**t ever.

omg yes those boobs

Fashionable Noob

11,625 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lorennland
Nemariel
Lorennland

omg yes those boobs

All the sexy complex shirt avatars because like, they were just long enough.

In a relationship with a fleshlight

Ladykiller

Ridley Starsmore

I keep reading this as "my Gaia ballsack"

someone please send help
I think the gate thing might be a way to decrease some of the inflation. People have already sunk in 54,000,000,000,000 gold that won't go back into the economy now. I think that is a good step forward. A few more opportunities like that might get a bit of this hyperinflation under control.
Sheshira
sterek
I initially didn't like the idea of a Marriage system for a bunch of reasons, the main one being that I thought it would require much more development (a Towns presence, for instance, or marriage "perks" that would affect account/inventory structure). Marriages are a "useless" feature, yes, but it's a small addition so I see why it was prioritized now, especially since it's something a lot of users have asked for in the past. Do we need it? No, because it doesn't really affect anyone's experience of the site. Are people happy about it? Yes, for the most part, and that alone justifies it.

Now, if the Marriage system had been launched with a dozen related programming-heavy features, I'd be upset too because it would be bad prioritizing. I think we collectively agree that fixing/improving necessary features is more important than launching new ones. However, it's not the case. It's just a fun little addition that a lot of users enjoy, and I don't see a downside to it.

I agree with all of this. I think it was smart of Gaia to do small features like this where it addresses something people have wanted for a long time and on a way that doesn't become a dusty relic because their track record with maintaining and upgrading is lousy. I think Gaia needs to concentrate on the smaller stuff for the time being that help promote community and customer retention (as people are feeling nostalgic or want to use the feature in various ways).
=====
Now on to other thoughts...
The concern of possible work it could lend to mods is something I see as this: there had been people who have been harassed and the like for petty reasons. So basically that one Gaia would have caused problems anyways and this feature simply be one reason of many possible reasons.

As for influence of the cash shop, since it is a gold system the only influence is the items and bundles etc that are released in the cash shop. There's one in there presently but that's part of the course with how there will always be a cash shop influence but at least we do have various wedding items (mc's and gold shop wedding items including tuxes, wedding gowns, jewelry, floral bouquets etc).

It's also a nice touch that the marriage and divorce cost so much. If it takes gold out of circulation all the better for the economy.

Unholy Saint

29,690 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Healer 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Kid Jak
Ridley Starsmore
Kid Jak
Ridley Starsmore

And now I am just jealous of your ballcap stare

Yeah, if I wear it out, one out of three trips, I get someone going "Ok, who are you on Gaia?"

Then I tell them and then they call BS.

Like, who in the hell would pretend to be me?-lol-

I wanna make a lifesized replica of the emeraldback lion mask and go out now to a convention just to see if anyone recognises gaia.

Off topic: Do you know how to make masks?

Kid-Jak-A-Lynn's Husband

Diamond Diamond

42,050 Points
  • Glacial Champion 350
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Level 10 250
The stepfather of lies

I have made the occasional paper mache mask but fully sculpting the dimondback from soft Foam or stitching it from cutouts is gonna be hard I have tried doing some sketches on paper for it but I have not had the nerve to start using the supplies I have bought to do it.

Unholy Saint

29,690 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Healer 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Kid Jak
The stepfather of lies

I have made the occasional paper mache mask but fully sculpting the dimondback from soft Foam or stitching it from cutouts is gonna be hard I have tried doing some sketches on paper for it but I have not had the nerve to start using the supplies I have bought to do it.

I hadn't thought to use foam hmm.
I'm working to make a rein mask of the nightmare's @..@ face --> User Image for my halloween avatar but have some doubts on the resin part.

If you make the mask send pictures! a diamondback mask would be awesome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces